Fordmods Logo

Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build 

Page 5 of 20 [ 297 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Re: Ef turbo build
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Microtech is back in and running, it doesnt run as rich either cause its calibrated to my coolant temp sensor.

Found where we went wrong, the map is loaded onto the microtech and we tried selecting blank maps (1-4) on the hand controller and what we were suppose to do was save to memCal on each map so that all 4 maps on the hand controller were the same as the ecu that way if i loaded any of the memCals they wouldnt wipe the ecu....

Installed my 044 last weekend and found that it was hitting on the swirl pot inside my fuel tank, was just about to pull it out but realised i would have massive surge problems if i did. So what i did was removed the check valve from the top of the fuel pump and replaced it with shorter brass fittings to lift the pump about 3 quarters of an inch..... fits perfectly with the pre filter sock and everything. Next problem no check valve, stupid me realises this after i removed it. So i bought a speedflow check valve to install inline outside the tank on the feed line, Viola! problem solved :)

Only thing holding me back from getting it tuned now is my doubt on the wastegate.... searched it on ebay and found the same cheapo one i have for 109 dollars brand new not sure what psi spring is installed and i called the company and they cant supply springs for it.... its a no name brand they call it EPR 50mm external wastegate, its a copy of the older style HKS unit wonder if anyone has dealt with one of these?? i dont really trust it, Im tempted to just buy a turbosmart 50mm pro gate as im going to be running an eboost street and would be ashame if the wastegate let it down.

I was hoping to have it tuned allready but im just letting the bank account recover as i have had a few bills to pay recently.....

stay tuned!

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

just some pics of my 60lb siemens deka injectors and a speedflow check valve i had to install inline because the 044 check valve offset the fuel pump too low in the tank causing it to foul on the swirl pot.

waiting on my eboost from the US which should be here next week hopefully then she'll be ready for a tune :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You should've used 023 dude, it's the same size as the standard or 040 and flows heaps more then them, bit less than 044 though

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah i wanted to use the 044 cause im running 60lb injectors. And i want my fuel system to be able to support more power than im chasing so that i dont have to upgrade when i want to run more boost etc. Looking at your sig your car seems to make really conservative power on 4psi! Good stuff.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Eboost is in and all wired and plumbed up :D got my soldering on last weekend, dont mind the electrical work haha. ill post pics this arvo when i get home from work

EDIT:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Removed wastegate today to pressure test the spring, put compressed air into the bottom port of the wastegate and it started opening at 12psi and was fully open around 16 so im guessing its a 16 psi spring.... thats a problem as i only want to run 10-12psi. Another set back before it gets tuned.

Just going to take the wastegate to my local performance shop to see if they have any spare springs that will fit my gate. Fingers crossed. (ive allready contacted the manufacturer and they dont sell springs for this wastegate...)

If not, im going to buy a turbosmart pro gate and get my manifold/dump pipe fabricated to suit and be done with it!

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Gday mate spring pressures/boost ratings can vary a lot depending on back pressures etc. On our log manifolds using a 6psi rated gate (which when tested with compressed air actually opens at 8psi) boost pressure is actually 5psi. The same gate on our free flowing manifold now runs a solid 8psi using same turbo etc. Any back pressure will act against the wastegate piston effectivelly lowering boost level. I reckon give it a try you may find its between the 10-12psi your after.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Went and got a 10 psi spring from AM auto yesterday arvo and tested it in my wastegate on the bench with compressed air and its spot on 10psi, so gave them a 6 pack for it, cause it was just a spare one they had laying around. My exhaust wouldnt have alot of back pressure i imagine as ive got a gt3582r with a 1.06 rear housing so its a pretty big housing and i have a full 3 inch mandrel bend exhaust with 1 muffler. Also im running an eboost street so even if gate pressure is lower than target pressure i can still control it with the boost controller. Gonna fit my wastegate this friday and see if i can book her in for a tune :D

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

nice man i like the build.good info for when i start on mine.i swear this site IS my bible.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah thanks, yeh I've learned alot building this car! Went to powercruise today so amped to get mine all tuned and going. Put the gate back on yesterday gonna most likely get it booked for a tune the week after next!!! :D

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what do you think it will run on the dyno??

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Im not sure, I've got the 10 pound spring in it so I wanna run about that much maybe 12 at the most. Will be happy with low to mid 300hp at the tread. Not really sure how much my clutch will hold. Couple guys on here reckon theyre Exedy hd clutch couldn't hold much more than 300 in 3rd and 4th cog. But maybe they weren't bedded in properly?? I dunno going to see how I go. Always room for upgrading though :)

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

should of changed over to auto.much stronger and will spool up quicker lol.well good luck man.reading through your thread makes me wanna do mine.all well when ive got a couple grand aside ill do it lol

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Haha nah I have an auto in the shed at home, if I was gonna upgrade I'd get a tko600 or t56 with a twin plate :) umm you'll need a bit more then a couple grand lol. There's alot of things that come into consideration when adding boost. Make sure you know exactly what you want before starting! And for a turbo set up make sure you have atleast 10 grand to play with minimum. All the bits add up.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i plan to run the same turbo as the fg xr6 with afew other bits and pieces i only aim for about 240-280rwkws nothing to dramatic.ill end up dieing with any more even quicker lol

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 20  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next