Fordmods Logo

Dan's XG ute - retired. Replaced with AU ute. 

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Dan's ute - DOHC conversion on the way
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Good work on the ute Dan, should go well with the newer motor.

I understand your frustration regarding your conversion and comments/questions. The same happened to me when I used a EA manual box behind my windsor and everyone said that it couldn't be done even after I had it in the car and running. It's a well worn story but I wont pollute your build thread with the details.

Look forward to seeing your progress :)

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Due to the angry nature of the forum I will be abandoning this project.

j/k

I bought a cheap AU ute today because its doors work heaps better. Not sure what will become of the BA conversion.

If the AU air con compressor bolts up and the bonnet doesnt need cutting I might put it in.

Any ideas?

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah I dont have any pics yet. I pick it up next Friday. Ill get some then.

What year did series 2 kick in? Mine is a 2000 model.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Holy crap, you did get a bargain! :shock: Hopefully mine is a series 2 as well. Those cheap brake upgrades look good.

I did a quick search and found the old FTG thread where he put a BA motor into an AU. It seems like an easier job fitment wise and I reckon having coil packs will make wiring up the tacho and auto a piece of cake compared to the XG where I would have needed a tacho adpater. Ill see how motivated I feel in a months time when I take holidays.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Post subject: Re: Dan's XG ute - retired.
Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:

That has to be a first. Fiend with nothing to say? :P

Did you find my old BA into EA thread?

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nah mate, I have a bit to say. But deleted it due to this being your thread and you suggesting I stay out of it, which is fair enough. I was merely thanking you for suggesting we all search the internet more. It put us all one step closer to finding out how you got this BA into your parts car running. I thank you for your advice on that.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

I think a lot of people seem to have missed the part where dansedgli said that the BA motor is running in a 'parts car'
generally people buy parts cars off other people, meaning the other person did the hard yards.

for those who can't connect the dots, Dan didnt install the BA motor into the EB.
and for those who know who the original owner was, will know that the overall instalation wasnt very painful.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No worries fiend. Always glad to help someone help themselves.

I found out that the new ute is a series 2. Better brakes and lots of upgrades over series 1 ftw.

It looks an awful lot like this one:

If the BA motor isnt sold by the time I take holidays Ill throw it in and see what happens.

lol john, always taking the fun away. :( :P

The previous owner of the black EB has sworn me to secrecy about telling everyone how he did it.

Its not hard though. All the info you need is available on this and other forums. Look for my old thread where I put one into an EA.

Last edited by Dansedgli on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

In other words --- He wasn't answering the questions properly because he didn't actually do the install. Thanks for clearing that up. It all now makes sense- Gogetta, Benj, XR-Lane, Myself and others who were interested in what he, personally, had done. We were all barking up the wrong tree. We should have been asking that guy Glenn how he did it. Mind you, Glenn may have said the same answers... As per Barnacuses rave, above, that's their right.

What isn't right is either claiming you've done work you have not, or implying you have by leaving out segments of truth.

As you can see by this screenshot, Dan was asked multiple times what *HE* had done to do this, or that, or the other.

Truly - A couple of people ask questions, he gets rattled and then "cancels the project due to the nature of the forum"... Wonder if Barnacus can come up with supporting statements for that?

And now that the cat is out of the bag and the mystery is put to rest, and the project appears to have even been cancelled, I can remove this thread from my watch list as there is nothing of interest. This will also satisfy Dans demands that I stay out of his thread.

Over it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by fiend on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

LOL.

Assuming I dont know how its done is a bit silly. Ive put a BA motor into an EA before and driven it around. Have you?

I didnt share info because I was asked not to. There is no need anyway when it has been covered heaps of times before on this and other forums. Use the search function. It works!!

edit: I see you have edited your post. I didnt can the project because of what was said on here. :roll: It appears humour is lost on you.

The AU is a much better car and it cost me next to nothing to upgrade.

Last edited by Dansedgli on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:21 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

fiend..
leave it alone! this thread is about dans ute not about wether or not he did the conversion..

i can tell you that i think dan may have possibly one of the first people to do the ba into box car conversions..(ba into his ea)

so give it a rest!!

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Let him go Troyman, Im interested in what he has to say.

This thread is done anyways. Ill make a new one if I put this motor into the AU.

So fiend, what is your claim to fame in the fordmods world? I scanned your thread and saw nothing new. I got dizzy from the VHT fumes though.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

he's upset because he can't find the BA Engine into E-Series for Dummies book.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I don't have a claim to fame that I am aware of...

I came up with a few ideas and made them - Phenolic spacer for E-AU I6, cold air induction thingy and did some testing and stuff on various air flows and the like. I came to Fordmods a few years ago asking how to set the clock on my Fairmont. Someone pointed me in the right direction, and I started surfing through Fordmods on a regular basis because some people had some interesting stuff going on.

At the time I hadn't so much as changed a brake pad in a car. Since learning how to set my Fairmont clock (as it turns out it's a trip computer --- I didn't even know that!) I got hooked looking at peoples builds on this site and started paying real mechanics to do the work on my Fairmont.

The result was thousands of dollars worth of car, parts and labour becoming a parts car... And my trust in real mechanics went out the window with it. I bought a Futura "AUT" 1994 wagon at the end of 2007 and had it heat seize the first time I drove it (on the way home from car yard actually!) They guy gave me some money back and I got the gunmetal gray Ford wagon for $1000.

I put the Fairmont mags onto it that very night and there is the first mod I ever undertook. Was astounded that people actually noticed, but they did. I then put in a radiator and found where all the coolant had come out of down the motorway resulting the heat seizure and replaced the heater hoses.

Decided during this period that the Fairmont looked nicer and I liked the cornering lamps (still not knowing that the cornering lamps are from a higher spec again than Fairmont...)

So -- You guess it... I logged onto Fordmods to see if the Fairmont front would fit onto a Futura.

"It does", came the reply, "but only if you change the bonnets and the lights too".

Oh s**t. Didn't think I'd be able to manage that, it seemed a bit too complicated as that was by far the largest thing I'd ever thought of doing to a car... But, there you have it. As the photos now show, it has a Fairlane front end. Yay for me.

Since the brakes were getting low and Fordmods members were debating drilled rotors getting cracks, I thought I'd see if I could fit some slotted and dimpled rotors. Thanks Fordmod members... If I have not thanked you all individually, I am sorry, but you'll all get a mention when I write my first book.

Then, I felt stink having a Fairmont front end (still not knowing it was higher spec than base model Fairmont) and had to pull the interior of the whole car out, including the heater box, the rear boot lining and everything in between to replace it all with the Fairmont stuff. Whilst doing that blue became a agreeable colour choice (it was the only paint can in the shed I had enough of to paint some plastic with) so I pulled apart the climate control and all the other panels and converted them all to blue LED's and blue lenses.

When putting the front door cards back in, newly upholstered, I figured there may just be enough space for some kenwood 6x9's that I'd pulled out of my old Lazer wagon. Sure enough, this wasn't the first mod I'd done without asking Fordmods about beforehand, but it only just worked. Clearance issues everywhere, but they are in and working.

And, Dan, it just carries on in that vain mate... I now have a "Futura" which has about everything changed, from complete interior, to manual conversion, to LSD, to brakes, new engine, entirely built by me... All my own skinned knuckles, oily hands, but very thankful to the likes of Huggiebear, BenJ, Troyman, XR-Lane, Rick's EF Wagon, KWIKXR, FastXR, NZEA, MADXF, EVL09, etc etc etc...

I can only assume the VHT you're harping on about is this..? the-garage-f53/futurlane-ultimate-budget-build-t69180-1322.html Or the fact I painted the engine bay black?

Whatever Dan. Like I said in private message, you know heaps more than me about cars (as does virtually everyone when I think about it!) and this thread was interesting to me. I don't own a BA engine, nor do I have the cash to purchase one. However, I may just do in the future if there was a clear path for me to follow. By taking bits of advice from you, and bits from other people, in another year or so when the finances may improve and other powers that be give me an opportunity I'd really like to put a BA engine in... Even better if it happens to have a turbo attached....

As I have said many times, it is your right not to answer questions. I was happy to leave it at that but you've persisted in trying to make a point of it.

Sorry to interrupt your thread again, especially after promising not to. If you have any crap to pour, please pour it on my build thread as I am really not bothering to look at this thread any more.

That's the end of that.

Thanks for asking. Hope this answer was sufficient.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next