Fordmods Logo

EDXR6POLY's Build thread now turbo!!! with pics!!! 

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: VCT HEAD ON A ED ENGINE CONVERSION IS NOW FINISHED
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

why would you disconnect the VCT for a turbo setup?

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

a turbo starts to make torque at or below 1500rpm so there is no need for it really ask troyman why he has his disconnected for his Supercharged VCT motor? Apart from the fact he has a different cam that is non VCT but there is no poing as the torque is made early in the rpm range there for not really needed between 750rpm and 1500rpm?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:58 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the main reason i removed the vct was because there are not many aftermarket cams for vct.
there is only jmm that want stupid prices and another shop that have not had and tested feedback on there cams. i dont like being the test mule for something that could be worse off power wise..
plus the fact that my vct solinoid was weeping oil and a replacement is over $250..

with the supercharger its making 1 psi@1500 rpm so there is still good torque down low,
so with all this together i decided to ditch vct and run a wade au1645 cam, which gave me more mid range and top end..

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i think you would be silly not to keep the VCT with a turbo setup.
your missing the point that any extra torque or power (which will equal exhaust gas) is going to help spool a turbo.
seeing as yours is setup and running with the aftermarket cam AND an ECU you can tune, there is no reason to disconnect it.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 am 

NSW, Australia

misk_one wrote:
i think you would be silly not to keep the VCT with a turbo setup.
your missing the point that any extra torque or power (which will equal exhaust gas) is going to help spool a turbo.
seeing as yours is setup and running with the aftermarket cam AND an ECU you can tune, there is no reason to disconnect it.

possably on turbo, for early spool yes!
but for supercharged no need as rpm is what gives me boost.
and removing the vct cam and fitting an aftermarket cam has so far given me a 20rwkw and 60 rwnm more torque gain over the vct cam....

also i found in my application, that even with the non vct xr6 cam it still performed better overall than it did with vct..
it could be a combination of me using non factory ecu, no sequential injection , all the stuff thats not on an au vct set up..lol.. :?:

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 VCT & AU2 XL

NSW, Australia

Please keep the VCT active. The whole point is it advances it 10 camshaft degrees until 2950rpm, then returns it back to the neutral/non advanced state. Advancing a cam gains bottom end and midrange, but sacrifices top end.

I did a couple of dyno runs two weeks ago, and played with the VCT activation using my Sniper tuning. Leaving the cam advanced lost 4% max power - in my case 5rwkw in the top end, but the bottom end was improved. In fact, using the A/F as a guide (because each run had the same commanded A/F) i was able to calculate that at 5500rpm the VE difference was 8%! When in the normal position, it had a higher output over nearly a 1000rpm rev range!

If you buy an aftermarket cam and install it in the advanced position without the VCT, you will gain on the bottom end, but lose on the top end.

Check out Crescent (site sponsor!) as they are now doing VCT regrinds!

Cheers

Phil

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well i have mad the decision to turbo it and leave it VCT controlled by the RPM switch using the standard cam shaft and the head has been ported so no need to take the head off to modify anything and just putting a turbo kit on it from here

Im thinking about making my own turbo exhaust manifold as there is a few cheap one but dont look like they would be really flow effective
http://www.fordmods.com/wanted-ford-parts-f18/wtb-wtb-e-series-turbo-exhaust-manifold-t87990.html

but im thinking to keep the log style and build my own and use something along the lines of a t70 turbo and i can get a set of BOSCH 968 440cc FUEL INJECTORS for under 300 and use my J3 to tune is and run the pipework and a stock XR6-T intercooler and run it through the stock airbox setup to feed the intake side of the turbo

I'm only hoping to make the 200-220rwkw mark and id be happy to not bother to mod anything else on the car

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 pm 

NSW, Australia

yep cms was the one who had no feedback on how the cam performed..
im sure with testing or feed back it could be a great cam but im not willing to go through that..

imo its a lot of effort for such little return..
but honestly the vct engine is good! but if i was to replace mine, next time i would go with a non vct..or just update to bf dohc..
before i supercharged mine there was only 4rwkw difference between the vct and my old non vct hp engine..

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:55 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

what was the spread of power like? and economy?

Post subject: Re: ED VCT BUILD (NEXT UP IS AU2 WITH VCT AND MANUAL CONVERSION)
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok today I got my self a set of BA/BF FPV side repeaters to go into my ED I have a XR6/8 less the wing / bootlip coming from huggiebear (cheers mate) to get painted and if all goes well the car will be getting a respray in the next week but as the weather seems to be playing around I think it might be another month or 2?

So I've started to put a gasket kit through my AU2 motor I got about a week ago to put into my car hence saying that if Im going to change the motor i may as well change it to manual while the motor is out ?

I have had the VCT head that I got off (olivexm) ported and shaved 5 thou and did the BBM conversion while I was at it, next up is getting the part together to put the AU2 motor back in the car( I'll be cutting and bending the Box on the front of the K-Frame and grinding a little off the front of the sump) with a manual (t5) and regas the A/C system (its very cold as it is but dammit I need a serp setup to run the S/C)i can get that done locally for $210 includes labour, dryer and gas, the next step is getting the Raptor S/C kit from Raptor Superchargers (hehe) it will be installed on the motor once its back in the car.

Then the fun starts getting the tune done on it as ill be making another trip to mackay or rocky depending on where seems to be better at tuning S/C I6 motors?

well thats all I have got to doing so far ill keep you updated

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Sounds good. Why have you chosen SC over turbo?

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

More for the fact like TROYMAN and what others have said how easy it is to install and uninstall and the driveability and it can be removed and take the J3 chip out and you have a N/A car again in a few hours yet a turbo seems to be alot of work to convert back to N/A

Im not after trye shredding power from 0-200kph just something to get it going a little better on the open road (overtaking etc) but to also keep it as a daily too

How have you found your S/C VCT what boost and setup did you use?
ECU? etc?

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bit of an update with A FEW PICS i got my wheels sandblasted and painted Black i think they look good also got the door mouldings re painted too aswell as a pic of the now BRAIDED OIL LINE for the VCT unit

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

Is that a genuine XR6? :)

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yes with the 18335 body code and all !!!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next