Fordmods Logo

EL XR8 written off... But someone pulled a dodgey! 

Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: ED XR6 Turbo
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ive been to a few places like that, i ended up just walking out and going elsewhere..

i must say, other then being a bit expensive autotech would be one of the most profesional workshops ive been to, there customer service is good, he was willing to sit down and go through whats done to the engine to get an idea on what needs to be done and what they would expect power wise..

the only reason i didnt go there was because they were booked out for over a month in advance at the time..

Your exactly right, they are a bit expensive but so far i have spoken with them on the phone and Spiro sounds like he actually cares. i dont expect to get it done for free but i have a budget in mind, if he can come close to that then i think i will be dealing with them.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

mo take it to jem or hi comp , dont waste ya time with all these other people .

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah i actually called up JEM just before holiday period... they seemed ok too, their tuner had a baby though and was off until end of Jan then they are booked out till end of Feb...

my biggest issue now though is not jsut tune.. i need to get an oil leak fixed.. which i think might be my head gasket... i really dont want to have another attempt at it!

so i want the 1 place to do it all, and for the engine work id rather get someone who deals with fords everyday to do it and then tune it...

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

wheres the oil leak coming from ? can you pin point it

yeah my mate just had his turbo eb retuned at jem on thusday. so im assume he's back .

go and have a chat with joe at hi comp and see if he's busy .

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TURBO_GHIA wrote:

yeah my mate just had his turbo eb retuned at jem on thusday. so im assume he's back .

it only leaks a little o nthe driveway after long drives, but as im driving it i can smell the oil burning, and when i look under neath it its running down the bottom off the sump, and looks like its coming from the back of the head.

ill look into hi comp, thanks mate.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

oil return line maybe .

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Spoke with Hi Comp, he wont do it as the car is managed by a microtech, and he doesnt do microtechs. he recommended Vince Rigoli.

I spoke wiht Spiro from Autotech and taking the car in on Tuesday for him to check it out.

will keep you guys posted!

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

no worries mate sorry he couldnt help , i couldnt remember if he did microtec or not

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Have you spoke to troy about Rigoli? He had his car tuned there not too long ago and said they were quite good.

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah mate spoke to Troy already. I sent them an email and I will follow up with them next week

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
TURBO_GHIA wrote:

it only leaks a little o nthe driveway after long drives, but as im driving it i can smell the oil burning, and when i look under neath it its running down the bottom off the sump, and looks like its coming from the back of the head.

have you re-tightened the valve cover?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

rustyeb1991 wrote:
BOSXR8 wrote:
TURBO_GHIA wrote:

have you re-tightened the valve cover?

no i didnt re tighten it, i initially tightened it up to the 6nm of torque as per the owners manual, it doesnt look like its leaking from there.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so the car is at Autoech at the moment. I dropped it off this morning, and it looks like rustyeb1991 may have been right. Sprio said the leak looks like its from the rocker cover... which is a MASSIVE releif for me if thats all it is.

he is doing a compression test and some other test to the block (cant remember what it was), to make sure all is good.

i left it there and pending the results will talk tune with him probably. Looks like he knows what he is talking about and is working on some awesome cars in the work shop.

I will let you know how it all goes.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok so i havent updated you guys with what happened last week. i think its taking me this long to sort of accept the 'news' lol.

Autotech Engineering are a very customer service focused business and i was very pleased that i had gone there.

i wasnt very pleased with the results though. A compression test and a cylinder leakage test was completed on my car. Results are:

Cylinder|Compression|Leakage (%)
1 - 125 - 22
2 - 135 - 20
3 - 115 - 44
4 - 130 - 22
5 - 120 - 40
6 - 135 - 20

To put things in perspective for those who dont know 5-10% leakage is a good engine, 10-20% is an 'ok' engine, and anything greater than 20% is no good.

Now i did my own compression test a few months ago and the results were much higher than this, i did mine when the car was dead cold, Spiro did this when the car was warm. So these results are much more accurate, and are in line with the problems i had with Cylinder 3 detonating, and Cylinder 5 which had the broken rocker gear on top of it when all this s**t first started.

So I need a bottom end rebuild.

Considering i was selling the car this is not good news at all. Autotech gave me two sets of ball park prices depnding on if i pull the motor or if they do all the work. Not sure if i will go through with them purely because of price, and they dont do many e series cars, 90% of his business is B series, tune wise id be happy to go there but rebuild wise id rather go with some one who does e series blocks day in day out... anyway...

I mean the car starts and runs fine as is (as long as boost doesnt go over about 5psi). I am not in a position to spend so much dough on the car now, so i think i will leave it for about 5-6 months as is, turning it over and taking it for short runs here and there until i can afford to spend some money on it and then fix it properly.

I have a feeling the guy that sold it knew about these underlying issues with the motor and it has just got worse since then. Win some you lose some i guess....

on a positive note the daily ute that i have is running great, doesnt have the creature comforts though, it was meant to be a short term purchase until i sold my ED, now thats out the window i might sell it and buy a friends ugly AU1 Futura that he is selling.. at least it has power steering...

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just to give a quick update to those interested. I sold the car last week and it got picked up on Saturday.

A guy from Mlebourne showed up with a car trailer and took it away.

i will really regret this but you have to do what you have to do i guess....

on the upside i bought an EL XR8 on sunday. I was eyeing a white one out on car sales with low kms and opt 20 but by the time i had the money it was sold so i bought another that was on there in red, had higher kms then what i was after but it had full service history with it and considering it has the factory tickford kit and the price i paid for it, i am very happy.

no modding as such for this one now so i wont start a new thread, just want to clean it up a bit. i cant beleive how slow these 8s are though, not comparing to a 400rwkw car but in comparison to a normal 6cyl they dont have much balls at all.... but im happy with it for now!

future plans will be exhaust, extractors, manifold, heads and tune...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next