Fordmods Logo

FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET STORIES 

Page 207 of 211 [ 3153 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211  Next

Post subject: Re: FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET STORIES
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 07 XR5 Turbo

WA, Australia

I haven't been active on here for a looong time, but I was watching Police 10 7 on FOX8 last night... and well, I guess Fiend, you know where I am going with this! I knew that wagon looked familiar! haha. I had a good laugh. Hope all is well old mate.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Futura EFII S/W

New Zealand

You're not actually a profile that immediately springs to mind as a sure cert for diabetes, whereas, I, probably am. Like you, I also enjoy having a bodgy spine at L4/5. I've had two spinal surgeries back in the early 1990's and lived on drugs ever since. Rather than this turning into a, "poor pitiful me" story, I mention this to you because another reason for a fine speciman of manhood as your self getting the big, "D" is to do with chronic back pain.
I don't fully understand how it happens that way, but a body under stress with constant pain fires off adrenaline/ energy to help deal with the injury and it's associated pain.
The effects of this can over time indicate the early stages of diabetes.
Ain't it great we have our cars to keep us close to the edge of sanity!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

G'day triple six DANZ, mate.
I'm pretty much a newbie still when it comes to modding my E Series wagon. Tony dudes experiences with modifying his Futurelane have helped me along quite a bit as to what to mod & what to leave as stock from the shop. Still aways to go but the end is in sight.

I think there are about four or six of us Wellingtonians here on this forum modding the mighty E's.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

JohnnyC wrote:
I haven't been active on here for a looong time, but I was watching Police 10 7 on FOX8 last night... and well, I guess Fiend, you know where I am going with this! I knew that wagon looked familiar! haha. I had a good laugh. Hope all is well old mate.

f**k bring THAT up again why don't you? If you keep that up you will become an honorary FordMod's moderator in next to no time.

I will vote for you.

Took the bonnet, lights and bumper off today. Hit a few bits of metal with a hammer. Tried to fit a bloody AU3 alloy radiator into the front. Didn't quite fit. Will be back with angle grinder and welder. Seems that the fans behind the radiators are used for something after all - After driving 15km home and watching the needle go up (was steady incline the whole way pretty much) kind of figured to either get some AU thermo fans or find an older E-series radiator again. Requiring less modifications to get fitting into car.......

Options for the front of the car include these two....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just to recap - Here's what it looked like a few days ago....

Oh, wait. f**k. That was six or seven years ago... Hang about....

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

The B series front bumper looks a very cool mod.
From the list of stuff you have for sale I would like to take a look at/buy these parts.

Seats – S/W - 94 Fairmont.
Cornering Lights
Rotors – slotted front.
S/W Seats

In a week or so when I get up and around again perhaps we can meet up to get the deal underway.
I will at that stage call in at the Headmaster to get the XR6 head I have crack tested, skimmed etc prior to fitting.
Any how, my new cell is +640220428942.
Give us a call to jack up a time.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey mate - Cornering lamps broken... Can talk about other stuff sometime.... If you still have my number.... Will be in contact anyway.

Bumper is actually from a 98 Sabaru Legacy Outback / Lancaster...

Got it fitting (somewhat) in the dark last night using the light on my battery drill. Not so good in daylight, but headlights need positioning and..... Well.... It will fit. Somewhat. Eventually.
:lol:

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Hey mate - Cornering lamps broken... Can talk about other stuff sometime.... If you still have my number.... Will be in contact anyway.

Bumper is actually from a 98 Sabaru Legacy Outback / Lancaster...

Got it fitting (somewhat) in the dark last night using the light on my battery drill. Not so good in daylight, but headlights need positioning and..... Well.... It will fit. Somewhat. Eventually.
:lol:

interesting mod ya got goin 8-)

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cannot work out if the front should be all blue, all black... Or combinations...

Gave it a quick spray with black in the rain half an hour ago.... Just to see.

Think it is better blue so as to match the sides. And then have the air intake bit at bottom black maybe?!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

With all the super maket dings and shopping basket mums trying to root my car I think it only prudent to get some lense spares into the garage. How are you holding on E series wagon tIl lights, mate?
Geeeeez, you've progressed well with the bumper mod. I like what your doing. Paint colours & placement are a real personal thing. For me, well, I'd go blue allover. Its more elegant to my view. Black would acheive a more sporting look.
Next mod is to place pieces of railway iron behind the new bumper then go outa hunting jappa's.

I lost all my numbers out of my phone ages ago trying to swap over providers, so I don't have your cell # any longer.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Cannot work out if the front should be all blue, all black... Or combinations...

Gave it a quick spray with black in the rain half an hour ago.... Just to see.

Think it is better blue so as to match the sides. And then have the air intake bit at bottom black maybe?!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

yeah .... have the intake black

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Spent three or four hours sanding MM by painfully slow MM... And ended up with something looking pretty good. Then put another layer of blade putty over the top and figured "f**k it - I wanna see what this looks like BLUE and BLACK on the bottom..."

Without further ado I sprayed the bumper. Over the top of wet bog. Over the top of rain. Over the top of... Well... Bare plastic, gray primer, red primer, gold filler primer, Subaru silver, previous left over black and blue......... All of it was sanded with 320 / 400 grit (other than wet bog..)...

Should look, uhm, well, uer, "interesting" in the morning. Spray painted it in the dark with no lights too. Hahahahahahha.

Photos once daylight returns.

Went to get wheel alignment done at Tony Tyre Service. The boss would not let them do a wheel alignment as the rear tyres are showing canvas / steel on the insides. Whatever. Idiots. They didn't even try and sell me tyres!

Went online, found some cheap tyres. Had a look, decided not to buy them. Dunlop 3000A's are good tyres, but not when the insides are already worn. Especially not for $50 each. So, buggered off elsewhere again.

Found a couple of 225-45-17 and a couple of 245-45-17 to look at tomorrow morning. Fitted, balanced and wheel alignment done all for $266.60. The guy did not care my car is in parts. The idiot boss at Tony's just lost hundreds of dollars. I was intending to get wheel alignment done and see what I needed in the way of new bushes or ball joints. THEN I would replace those, get wheel alignment done and NEW TYRES.

But they lose. Am now throwing second hand ones on it, just to get a warrant and rego up to date. Will get 6 months out of the tyres. Which sounds good enough compared to around a GRAND for everything from Tony's. And, who knows... I could smash the car up into little bits before the thousand dollars worth of tyres makes itself economic.

(which obviously means NOT ONE SINGLE WHEELSPIN!)

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Getting there.

After spending a fair bit of money with TONYS TYRE SERVICE they turned into a** holes, so ended up back at BURKES TYRES in KILBERNIE. They were awesome. Got a wheel alignment and two legal second hand 245/45/17's fitted and balanced for $120.

If you see them, tell them I sent you!

Car is slowly, but surely, getting there....... Again.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:34 am 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

I dunno, mate, I'm pretty taken with that front bumper mod you've got going on there.
Did you that Subaru bumper laying around and wondered, "what would happen if"?

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Purchased bumper a while back with the express intent of using it on front of wagon. Got put to one side, but then --- What with smashing the front of car and not being able to afford anything.... You know....

Also did some other stuff. Before running out of time entirely........

This looks somewhat stupid. But the 12mm thick U-Bolts have to be hammered through the holes and so everything is held very snuggly. And strongly.

And yes - You can feel a difference when cornering. And accelerating.

Whilst not a complete answer to the likes of axle tramp, it is a help.

I kid you not.

Another brain wave from me. One which I can argue the science of....

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Believe it or not there was axle tramp issues with the car. Which is a leading possibility in the hunt for the never ending scourge of pinion seals and gearbox tailshaft issues....
:roll:

It also developed a rather unique problem --- The axles were starting to rotate inside the U-Bolts. Ouch.

Have made the a** end a lot more solid by listening to myself. Six or seven years ago I drew a picture of some lowering blocks that could be welded up out of old leaf spring cradles. Have made the a** of the car more stable. By a long way... Put the fat as all buggery U-Bolts through extra cradles that hold captive the wedge shaped lowering blocks. Thus, my pinion is pointing slightly more towards the ground than most standard cars. Combine this with a slightly lower engine and 20mm lower gearbox.... Well... I should not be hitting the driveshaft on the tunnel.

Once I work out the best placement for the FIEND TRAMP system, will look at making it stronger and more permanent.

Sort by  
 Page 207 of 211  [ 3153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211  Next