Fordmods Logo

FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET STORIES 

Page 210 of 211 [ 3153 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211  Next

Post subject: Re: FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET STORIES
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

"Mad2 wrote ...

interesting way of 'towing' a vehicle.... what was it bolted to :?: :?: :?: .... i cut off a front end & tech screwed a tow bar on . . . . . :roll: towed well tho 8-) need ta do it again tho :lol:"

Then Fiend, in reply wrote:
I drilled through the radiator support panel about half an inch away from the sides of the car and welded some 50mm angle steel on the under side and a 50mm square washer to the top, then dropped m12 10.2 strength bolts in the holes and tightened nuts underneath. Then put rubbers from the top of some leaf springs on, then the towing 50mm angle iron, then nuts underneath. Solid as f**k, let me tell ya. Needed the rubbers as my test version ripped itself a little when going over curbs or speedbumps. You need vertical movement capabilities, put it that way... The original test rig ripped itself to bits when turning VERY tight corners and attempting to reverse too (heheheeeh)...

anyway .................. whats the errrrr ... story ?? .... or ANY story....... ... prob explains why havn't heard much from ya wrote:
:There's a story. It's long. Various people have said I should write a book. They are probably correct... Maybe one day...

Anyhow...

Starting off video...

And. after an hour and twenty minutes...

Even planted some NZ Native flax and things to beautify the place.....

Neighbours don't seem to perturbed... Mowed their lawns for them... Although that cost me more than bargained for when hitting a steel trampoline hidden in the long grass. Don't think they will be paying for the repair somewhere.... Damn state housing tenants. We all suck.

Still, I have a welder. I have a spare parts car. I have the opportunity of producing a new FordNods post of quality.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
"Mad2 wrote ...

interesting way of 'towing' a vehicle.... what was it bolted to :?: :?: :?: .... i cut off a front end & tech screwed a tow bar on . . . . . :roll: towed well tho 8-) need ta do it again tho :lol:"

[Then Fiend, in reply"]I drilled through the radiator support panel about half an inch away from the sides of the car and welded some 50mm angle steel on the under side and a 50mm square washer to the top, then dropped m12 10.2 strength bolts in the holes and tightened nuts underneath. Then put rubbers from the top of some leaf springs on, then the towing 50mm angle iron, then nuts underneath. Solid as f**k, let me tell ya. Needed the rubbers as my test version ripped itself a little when going over curbs or speedbumps. You need vertical movement capabilities, put it that way... The original test rig ripped itself to bits when turning VERY tight corners and attempting to reverse too (heheheeeh)...

Anyhow...

Starting off video...

And. after an hour and twenty minutes...

Even planted some NZ Native flax and things to beautify the place.....

Neighbours don't seem to perturbed... Mowed their lawns for them... Although that cost me more than bargained for when hitting a steel trampoline hidden in the long grass. Don't think they will be paying for the repair somewhere.... Damn state housing tenants. We all suck.[/quote]

most do ..... excluding you :lol: i presume someone steered the tow vehicle??

[quote="anyway .................. whats the errrrr ... story ?? .... or ANY story....... ... prob explains why havn't heard much from ya wrote:
:There's a story. It's long. Various people have said I should write a book. They are probably correct... Maybe one day...

shall not be waiting long??

fiend wrote:
Still, I have a welder. I have the opportunity of producing a new FordNods post of quality.

about blooody time mate!

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

most do ..... excluding you :lol: i presume someone steered the tow vehicle??

Of course no one was in the towed vehicle. It doesn't even have a drivers seat. Couldn't leave someone in that position - 90km/h (.......) 1.2 metres behind the tow vehicle whilst sitting on the floor with no seatbelt.

I may be crazy, but even my goodself would not contemplate sitting in that position....

:roll:

So, previously --- took the entire underbody back to metal along all the seams and rust converted, sealed and sound deadened using the black rubber type stuff... Also replaced end of extractors with 2.5" pipe to suit the mandrel 2.5" exhaust to tip. The one single centre muffler sounds okay, considering...

Seems a shame to start replacing it all with 3" already... ...... Addict....

Hope weather is okay in the morning before have to go get a trailer and load wood to make a garden shed - then do a 250 km round trip to attend a court case and home again. Gearbox seems to be leaving a small sticky pool of expensive ATF and Lubrizol after long hard runs. Really not good.... So, fill her up, take bottle of ATF with me, and away we go...

That is if the money that was paid to TradeMe.co.nz appears in my account. Sold a set of Coby extractors to a guy running a sstock EL with a rollcage in the Wellington Speedway who picked them up today...

Car may not even get out driveway again until Christmas. One day there may be a story.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Finally got enough space in the house to put in my dining table....

And it was nice for a while....

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Am formulating a plan.

So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a donkey?

Hardly.

It requires making moulds and melting alloy and casting. It requires alloy welding and fabrication. It requires a whole lot of tuning and engine management.

The fact I have no way of melting alloy. The fact I have never welded alloy. The fact I have no ability to reprogramme or tune the engine management.

Hell, what does that matter?

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:

alot! . . . . . . . ...... :roll: .... but keep up the errr .. goood work :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

And - back to the drawing bored.

FOr - yes, I know it seems impossible -my cunning plan just did not fit....

However - Where there is an idea, there is hope.

Today I saved 15mm by f**k with the fuel rail...

Managed to weld all these in place with gasless MIG. - But have a much better idea forming in my little noggin.... Bear with me.... Or don't. Who cares.

Am learning the black arts of alloy welding and casting my own good way --- f**k it up a lot and work it out randomly.

Found a new button on welder. No idea what it does, but you push it and turn the knob to the left and the power seems to go right down.

Handy.

Last edited by fiend on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend, in relation to never having welded, cast or otherwise played with alloy wrote:

MAD2 wrote:
alot! . . . . . . . ...... :roll: .... but keep up the errr .. goood work :mrgreen:

Getting there MAD brother... Getting there...

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

May just yet be able to edit the fuel rail, make up manifold and confuse the hell out of myself.

Budget build?
Very much.

And also slow.

But I have good excuses...

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

BIG OOPSIES...

Since melting and casting alloy with varying degrees of goodness am now thinking of many applications - including changing the shifter position dramatically.

Took the stuff out above T5z short shifter to see about moving the shifter knob in the cabin. The other knob in the cabin is more easily moved.

(Axle tramp when putting the jandal into it is to blame)...

All my ideas to date required some mounting of the mechanical shifter on the car body. Guess with this much movement, that is ruled out entirely.

So - May look at rigging up some cables to do the job meaning shifter could be located anywhere in the cabin. Anyone with any knowledge of this kind of thing should consider replying here... As, truly, I am still a car novice and don't mind re-inventing the wheel... But if it has been done, fail or success - would be keen to gather info...

Pretty please.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Have decided to cut the top out the Eaton M112 Supercharger and put some of my alloy casting on top to give the screws enough air to keep them happy.

Did have a whole bunch of pictures, but my f**k back is killing me, my J3 chip is probably dead and cannot afford a bloody Wolf or anything like you flash bastards have.

Seriously, life is not all doom and gloom, but you'd be forgiven for thinking so...

:wink:

Anyhoooooooooooo... Blew up the AU alloy radiator in the car today by leaving it running without the thermo fans connected.

Did I mention I am still a newby?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
BIG OOPSIES...

Since melting and casting alloy with varying degrees of goodness am now thinking of many applications - including changing the shifter position dramatically.

Took the stuff out above T5z short shifter to see about moving the shifter knob in the cabin. The other knob in the cabin is more easily moved.

(Axle tramp when putting the jandal into it is to blame)...

All my ideas to date required some mounting of the mechanical shifter on the car body. Guess with this much movement, that is ruled out entirely.

So - May look at rigging up some cables to do the job meaning shifter could be located anywhere in the cabin. Anyone with any knowledge of this kind of thing should consider replying here... As, truly, I am still a car novice and don't mind re-inventing the wheel... But if it has been done, fail or success - would be keen to gather info...

Pretty please.

broken engine mount?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
broken engine mount?

Will find out when removing the motor... Or, maybe I wont - as am outside with no garage and no lifting tools am going to try unbolting the K-Frame and wheeling the whole lot out the front of the poor old wag's...

:roll: What could possibly go wrong?! :roll:

Have been working out this little mind f**k recently...

The Eaton M112 Superhcharger I happened to buy of a certain AUWAG's character from Melbourne has improvements to be made. Have looked into these things a little after buying it and have found they have trouble filling the screws at high rpm. Some people do expensive porting jobs etc, but the main problem is intake, not getting the compressed air out the bottom...

As the picture shows, went through the maths a few times and worked out we need to stick a 55mm wedge in the intake side of things and get a 100mm throttle for it all to match the output size of around 64cm squared.

Interestingly, all the pipes, combined, going into our six cylinder donks are around 75cm squared although four stroke engines only have these open for small percentage of the cycle.

However, the amount of air flowing through is quite remarkable - four litres at 6,000 is 24,000 litres of air a minute. You can see why increasing the original throttle size is good for a bit of power from standard....

So, anyways - Got a welder, been playing with alloy welding and casting...

After getting the Supercharger and getting over the hypnotic effect of the screws turning when playing, there appeared to be improvements to make, especially to the air input path...

Decided then and there to put a throttle sized hole in the top of the unit, if only to have other options to mount the unit in place of the air con under the BBM. Then came a bunch of pretty clever (!) ideas on how to get an intercooler into the mix...

After doing a few test pours of melted AU BBM, then spending twelve hours making some things out of plastic foam and pouring hot alloy at them these bits came about...

ImageImage

I know, I know - the total loss casting process should have had some air shafts through it so the gunk burnt out properly on the piece that will mate to the original Eaton intake, but can simply mill this off... So - am stoked really. First attempt at doing this sort of thing - made my own coal fired metal melty machine and made some s**t that should work just f**k sweet as bro.

Am going to throw away my large throttle and replace it with one standard size one, thus returning the ability to drive sensibly at low RPM... There will then be a second throttle opening after the first to increase the area of air flow to around 64 cm squared.

This happens to coincide nicely with the increase in the size of the input to the Eaton at around 60cm. As you can see there will be a chop in the top of the Supercharger and my little addition will be added to the top...

Internally there are many reasons for this. Buy an Eaton and work it out yourself if you doubt it...

And yes, this is an original idea. And yes, you do owe me money if you rip it off.

I don't really hate the world.

Just those rich buggers and so called "designers" that cash in on others...

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

many years ago . . . . . . . . . .. :roll:

i lived next door to a guy that did metal casting . . . . using sand [no not sure what type ok] would that not be betterer than foam?

Sort by  
 Page 210 of 211  [ 3153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211  Next