Gab's EF 5 litre GLi Bitsa Fairmont Ghia *NEW PICS* 

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Gab's EF 5 litre GLi Bitsa Fairmont Ghia *NEW PICS*
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, bout time I made a thread for my EF, so here goes.

About 3 years ago now, I picked up a 1994 EF Falcon GLi, completely stock, right down to 15" wheels and hubcaps. It'd done the usual 200 odd thousand k's, and was in pretty good nick, but had some minor paint issues, picked it up for $800, I was pretty happy with it, and it only needed a couple of disc rotors and ball joints and a windscreen for RWC.
So I drove it for a few months, then it did the typical E Series headgasket trick, I pulled the head off, sent it away to be machined and pressure tested, and cleaned up the block and refitted. Seemed alright for a couple of weeks, then the head started pissing out HUGE amounts of oil. Doh, mustnt have cleaned the block properley, so I pulled the head off again, and cleaned it all up, and slapped it back on with some new bolts, and seemed fine. Great, got a working car, but then a couple of weeks later, I managed to hit a small tree in my mate's driveway, which damaged the front gaurd, bonnet and front bar, So I sourced a full EF Fairmont front end, including a couple of brand new headlights, was a darker shade of green, but didnt look too bad, so that was fitted up as is. It was around this time that I also picked up some FTR's with good rubber for a cheap price. So I drove it around for another 6 months or so, Until the oppitunity arose for me to pick up a hail damaged EL Ghia with a 5 litre V8 and no interior. So I got it towed back to my place, and the stripping began. The first thing I did was to fit the lowering springs, front grille, and cornering lamps from the donor car, and over 2 or 3 weeks (well, maybe a month) I changed it all over to a 5 litre, was a huge learning experience, and great fun. BIG job though, not for the faint hearted. Was great to hear the V8 roar into life for the first time. Made a huge difference to the perfomance, without too much loss of fuel economy. The 5 litre transmission however, was not 100% happy, and on my first drive, it blew off a cooler hose on the side of the road, and dumped all it's oil, doh, so I refilled it and managed to get home. It was stuck in limp mode for a couple of weeks, until I realised that the wiring loom that goes from the engine bay to the auto was stuffed, so I replaced that and suddenly it wasnt in limp mode, but it broke a few teeth off the speedo drive gear, and I had to pull the extension housing off to get it back out (fun) and it was leaking a fair bit of oil, so I have now sealed it up as much as I can, and poured in a bottle of stop leak, but it is still not 100% happy. I think the transmission will need some work at some stage. I managed to pick up another EL Fairmont Ghia, this time with a decent interior, and a 3.45 LSD diff, so I swapped over all the leather seats, power windows, passenger airbag dash, and of course the diff, Now I pretty much have a full fairmont Ghia interior, and the 3.45 LSD made a MASSIVE difference to the performance. My stereo system consists of a 12" 1000W Sony Xplod Sub, and a 1200W 4 channel audioline amp, and a Pioneer headunit, I have some Boston Acoustic S60 Splits for the front (still trying to work out the best place to mount the tweeters) and I have some Kenwood 3 ways for the rear.

Gab

After the Fairmont front end went on, this is one of the earliest pics I have of the car

6 cyl out (no it wasnt a tickford, just had a tickford rocker cover)

Empty engine bay

Me standing where my engine should be

5 litre donor car

Sexy new front end

5 litre out of donor car

Easy way to remove parts from the underside of donor car, put it on it's side !!

Removing K Frame from the donor car, pretty much a waste of time, but was fun

5 litre finally resting in the engine bay !!!

Dash going back in after the conversion

It runs !!!!

All neat and tidy

Last edited by Gab1 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Gab's EF 5 litre GLi Bitsa Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Future plans include fixing the auto up properley, (if it needs to be replaced, I'll consider going manual) some new shockers, and I want to hopefully get a set of GT40P heads, explorer manifold, decent extractors, maybe a set of underdrive pulleys, a cam and a J3, and whatever else I can think of. Will probably upgrade the stereo a bit, and get the paint fixed, I also have a boot spoiler off an XR6 to go on, and I want to get the full tickford body kit eventually down the track. Also, the 6 cylinder engine went into my freind's EL, and is still going strong !!

Gab

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

What are your future plans for it

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Woops replyed before I seen your new post

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well a few more updates: I got a $14 pedders saftey check, and they found a fair bit wrong with it including:

-Lower control arm bushes
-Front brake pads
-Free play in wheel bearings
-Soft rear shockers
-Swaybar link bushes
-Both tie rod ends play

I already knew about the shockers and the brake pads, and I knew a mate of mine had some shockers for sale, and I already had some other bits left in the K Frame out of the V8 car, so I bought my mate's shockers, bought 2 new tie rod ends for $20 each, and stripped the V8 car's K frame and this is what I ended up with:

After fitting all that gear, it drives alot better and smoother, and certainly handles better. Now I just need to get a wheel alignment and a couple of new front tyres.

Gab

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Also, I thought I'd include a current pic of my interior, has Ghia door trims and leather seats, a good 2nd hand carpet, climate control, trip computer, leather steering wheel, and a passenger airbag dash. I'm also wondering what else I can upgrade to from higher models, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Gab

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

higher models have carpeted kick panels, leather handbrake etc. You could also change your cruise control buttons to el (grey) to suit the rest of your interior. Padded armrests from fairlanes would be a nice touch but are getting hard to find

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Alright well it's time for another update. I've managed to find another Auto for it here on fordmods that's done a fair whack of k's, but is apparently in good nick, and the price is right, so I'm going to be picking that up on Friday night. Before I put it in, I'm going to change the fluid and filter, change the pump seal, fit a new extension housing seal, and maybe change the bish that's in there, depending how bad it is. Also I've managed to get myself a boot spoiler, which is going to need a few minor repairs, but it's not too bad, and got some surrounds for my clear side repeaters off another member here, again, one of them is going to need a minor repair, but not too bad. I've also got a premo sound system ready to go in, but I still need to get a stacker unit and some of the wiring. Got some Boston S60 Splits for the front too.

Boot spoiler, needs a bit of a repair and some paint, but should come up well

Clear indicator surrounds

Premo sound

Splits

Gab

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

Nice work, I've gone down a similar road with my EF Fairmont; lucky for me it was a V8 to start with.

With regards to the auto a new filter and some new oil can make a world of difference but it always pays to drop the pan and see if how much clutch lining and metal filings are sitting in the bottom of the pan before you throw them in the car.

Grab the sun-visors out of the Ghia as well, the GLi's are a horrible foam and the Fairmont ones are covered in material. Also exterior chrome for the bumpers and door strips off the Ghia are nice to have. It's the little things in life. Seems like apart from what was mentioned earlier you have already fitted most of the Fairmont / Ghia trimmings

Do you have the amp and sub from the Ghia to go with the premium sound?

And have you fitted a black speedo drive cog so the speedo reads correct for the 3.45 diff and 16" wheels?

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bottlejack15 wrote:
Nice work, I've gone down a similar road with my EF Fairmont; lucky for me it was a V8 to start with.

With regards to the auto a new filter and some new oil can make a world of difference but it always pays to drop the pan and see if how much clutch lining and metal filings are sitting in the bottom of the pan before you throw them in the car.

Grab the sun-visors out of the Ghia as well, the GLi's are a horrible foam and the Fairmont ones are covered in material. Also exterior chrome for the bumpers and door strips off the Ghia are nice to have. It's the little things in life. Seems like apart from what was mentioned earlier you have already fitted most of the Fairmont / Ghia trimmings

Do you have the amp and sub from the Ghia to go with the premium sound?

And have you fitted a black speedo drive cog so the speedo reads correct for the 3.45 diff and 16" wheels?

Hey mate, yeah when I change the filter in the auto I will check for clutch material in the pan, however even if it's full of clutch material, I'd still be 1/2 tempted to chuck it in, as it's gotta be better than what I've got now.

Already got the Ghia sunvisors on there mate, yeah they are heaps better, the GLi ones are a bit rubbish.

I've got the chrome trimmings from the doors, just need the ones from the front and rear bars, but I'm fairly keen to add them eventually.

Got the amp for the premo sound, but not the subby, but I've got an aftermarket sub, so I would just connect it to that.

And yeah I've got the correct speedo drive in there, I pulled the one out of the car I got my 3.45 diff out of, and I fitted that, and then the bloody thing shattered and went inside the gearbox, so I had to pull the extension housing off, so I bought a new one from Ford and fitted it, only to find I already had another spare one from the car my V8 came out of, lol, waste of 20 odd dollars.

Gab

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

Sounds like you have it all sorted then.

At least the V8 auto's are much easier to take out and put back in compared to the 6 cly auto.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Awesome work mate, looks the goods!

Let us know how the premo audio goes.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

is the v8 k frame same as the 6 or did you change it ?

BF XR6

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
is the v8 k frame same as the 6 or did you change it ?

They are identical mate, just had to drill one or 2 small holes in it for screws to hold things like P/S lines etc

Gab

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ahk thanks

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next