Fordmods Logo

Granny spec EA with some FG XR6 , vernier gear help please? 

Page 5 of 12 [ 169 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Granny spec EA , Finally got of my a$$ and done something
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

frankieh wrote:
I did the EB garnish thing on my old EA ghia..

looks much better than with the EA lights. I still have those clear lights in the shed somewhere. (I hoard)

Your car looks great.

Cheers man

Im hoping to get a BF XR6 wreck real soon for the interior + sell of the rest i got the cash but no friends at all to let me use there driveway / front yard to strip it on anyone in SA ? il pay $50 a day for a garage/ even a small paddock / back yard anything!!!

ahhh how did you do your conversion ? i was so delicate then ended up just pulling out the angle grinder and going nuts , but now ive got leaks in my boot and the top "seal" has shrunken im thinking maybe the waters getting in from the top

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

got bored the shifter surround was a spare but the sub ring im going to use i got a more of the bubbles out its just where it says "punch" due to its a rockford it really looks ugly due to that

might get some bog and bog up all the lettering etc so its a smooth flat surface to work with

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 99

NSW, Australia

Good work with the shifter surround man! Looks awesome!
I might have to try something like that once i finish all my engine mods.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

finchy wrote:
Good work with the shifter surround man! Looks awesome!
I might have to try something like that once i finish all my engine mods.

cheers its what people do when there bored wont be using it obviously doesn't suite EA but im tempted anyone got any opinions ?

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

frankieh wrote:
I did the EB garnish thing on my old EA ghia..

looks much better than with the EA lights. I still have those clear lights in the shed somewhere. (I hoard)

You can see from the photo that the top of the garnish was sealed where it met the boot metal... no leaking at all... lots of silicon behind it too. :-)

Your car looks great.

This was my old EA... I went kind of old school with the look of mine.. dark tint.. low as hell... fat 14 inch tyres and good old polished jellybean mags.. I think it looked better than my current 18 inches would have on an EA.

what if i put a fair bit of silicone where i made those holes to seal it up a little more due to they where "custom"

dam that's old school but nice nothing old school goes out of fashion

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I emptied a caulking gun of silicon behind my garnish around where I cut it... why not? As for your seal leaks, put some dye all around the seal and then shut the boot, give it a sec and open it. Any place inside the lid that doesn't have dye on it will potentially leak. That will enable you to figure out why. (For example, bad seal or misaligned or bent boot hinges)

Last edited by frankieh on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

frankieh wrote:
I emptied a caulking gun of silicon behind my garnish around where I cut it... why not? As for your seal leaks, out some dye all around the seal and then shut the boot, give it a sec and open it. Any place inside the lid that doesn't have dye on it will potentially. That will enable you to figure out why. (For example, bad seal or misaligned or bent boot hinges)

ok will do

are you a part of Perth E series forum i swear i recognize you from there?

seems like lowering my car is not going to happen i will be making a thread about it a forum member on AFF and on here has been a very naughty naughty boy

In the ad he stated he would deliver plus he sold the item 6 days before and received good feedback for the item cant believe we have got such low life's on this forum , if i wanted to be scammed i think id go to like zoklet or 4chan f**k

Post subject: Re: Granny spec EA , Suspension any experinces people :)
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Did not end up getting my suspension pieces from that "guy" soon to be named

now i really want AUs2/3 XR6 height but i want it super stiff i don't exactly want to lower it to be honest i just want to stiffen it

if you look in page 4 theirs more recent pictures at the moment in the back end she has got king springs i believe they are raised or standard height but are stiff as

Im going to be getting a wade 1636 thanks to benno which i appreciate a real lot

any ideas people on what i should do next i cant really think of much maybe a bit of port work on the head ?

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
i want it super stiff i don't exactly want to lower it to be honest i just want to stiffen it

Do your sway bars then

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

79raven wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
i want it super stiff i don't exactly want to lower it to be honest i just want to stiffen it

Do your sway bars then

S pac ones i heard are slightly thicker

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Dont know but I know whiteline do sway bars, but they are not cheap. I am no expert but I think there are 2 sizes above stock you can get and yes some models had larger ones than other but I dont know enough to tell you whats what. All I know is if you have done the springs/ shocks and you want more stiffness then sway bars the next option, as long as your bushes are all cool as f**k bushes will make your suspension sloppy too

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

79raven wrote:
Dont know but I know whiteline do sway bars, but they are not cheap. I am no expert but I think there are 2 sizes above stock you can get and yes some models had larger ones than other but I dont know enough to tell you whats what. All I know is if you have done the springs/ shocks and you want more stiffness then sway bars the next option, as long as your bushes are all cool as f**k bushes will make your suspension sloppy too

ahhh ok

i wonder how well these improve handling i know they do alot to smaller cars

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

larger sway bars I have been told makes a huge difference on the Falcons. Think of how heavy the car is and how much weight gets shifted around during body roll.
You may be thinking too of strut braces on the smaller cars, what I mean is making the sway bars that sit under the front and rear of the car larger. I dont know if you can get strut braces for the i6, and there is not much room once the bonnets down so fitting one might be hard

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

79raven wrote:
larger sway bars I have been told makes a huge difference on the Falcons. Think of how heavy the car is and how much weight gets shifted around during body roll.
You may be thinking too of strut braces on the smaller cars, what I mean is making the sway bars that sit under the front and rear of the car larger. I dont know if you can get strut braces for the i6, and there is not much room once the bonnets down so fitting one might be hard

strut braces are usually a rice thing but ya i know the ones you mean that go under neath

any guesstimates anyone on what this thing will do down the 1/4 mile its got all the basic bolt on's i would be happy with a low to med 15

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
now i really want AUs2/3 XR6 height but i want it super stiff i don't exactly want to lower it to be honest i just want to stiffen it

EA to ED I believe were fitted with 24mm front sway bars. EF/EL were fitted with 27mm front sway bars. All were 22mm on the rear. XR are no different.

Using a formula from AutoSpeed to calculate the stiffness, which is the fourth power of the diameter.

For an EB sway bar with a diameter of 24mm, (24 x 24 x 24 x 24) give a stiffness factor of 331,776 units.

For an EF sway bar with a diameter of 27mm, (27 x 27 x 27 x 27) give a stiffness factor of 531,441 units.

If you up grade from an EA/EB 24mm swaybar to a EF/EL sway bar it is an increase of 60% stiffness, using the EF/EL links are an improvement as well as they are thicker.

Using a 30mm bar is 810,000 stifness units or 144% increase in stiffness over the 24mm bar.

Using the EF/EL sway bay is a cheap upgrade as most people throw them away. I just sent 4 to the scrappy.

This formula won't work on adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ea to ed have 26mm front sway bars,, :)

oddly enough std au has a 24mm front sway bar,

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 12  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next