Post subject: Re: Greetings from DamsEL
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

DamsEL1997 wrote:
wombi90 wrote:
Lowlane7 wrote:
For another simple add on mod.

See if you can get hold of an intake pipe from an XR6.

The one that goes from the top of the radiator to the air box.

Tickford ones have the T wings embossed on the top, that's the one I have, im not too sure what exact other models had it too. Maybe XR8s too..

If you can get one it is heaps larger than the standard one. Allowing more flow without altering the intake setup from the factory look.

Looks good otherwise tho. I love the XR 16s.. Probably the best factory wheel design Ford made.

Only au xr8 got the intake snorkel with tickford wings, el xrs got the bigger snorkel but looks the same as the smaller one, maybe el gt's got them aswell

Good start anyway mate neat and tidy

CAI upgrade sounds like a good idea. Thanks I will do some research. :)
I was told not to increase the intake till after the exhaust was done. Is this true??

Shouldn't matter too much mate I think its just if you upgrade one you should do the other so they both work hand in hand

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

DamsEL1997 wrote:
wombi90 wrote:
Lowlane7 wrote:
For another simple add on mod.

See if you can get hold of an intake pipe from an XR6.

The one that goes from the top of the radiator to the air box.

Tickford ones have the T wings embossed on the top, that's the one I have, im not too sure what exact other models had it too. Maybe XR8s too..

If you can get one it is heaps larger than the standard one. Allowing more flow without altering the intake setup from the factory look.

Looks good otherwise tho. I love the XR 16s.. Probably the best factory wheel design Ford made.

Only au xr8 got the intake snorkel with tickford wings, el xrs got the bigger snorkel but looks the same as the smaller one, maybe el gt's got them aswell

Good start anyway mate neat and tidy

CAI upgrade sounds like a good idea. Thanks I will do some research. :)
I was told not to increase the intake till after the exhaust was done. Is this true??

Upgrading to a "Tickford" snorkel won't make any different in power IMO. It will give you better throttle response. You can also add a K&N panel filter which helps with a bit more air flow, however there are conflicting debates regarding how well they filter to what performance you get out of it, if any.

Regarding the snorkel upgrade...you can use a BA V8 one...not sure if BA I6 or V8s are any different, but I am using a snorkel that came out of a BA V8 (not XR8), albeit after 2 minor modifications. With one mod, you have 2 choices regarding how to mount the lip of the snorkel to the radiator support, you either drill 2 new holes in the snorkel plastic so that it lines up with the existing screw holes on the radiator support, or you can trim the lip back so that it sits flush with the radiator support and carefully drill 2 new mounting holes into the radiator support. The other modification is to the thermofans, you have to cut 2 plastic supports that hold the thermofan motor in place...that doesn't do any damage or hinders the thermofans...well as far as I know, I have run this for 5 years no issues.

Other mod could be to upgrade the intake piping, either using a BA one or stainless/mild steel custom job (expensive). I'd say upgrade brakes and maybe suspension, but that gets a bit more expensive and less cosmetic, unless you are just lowering for looks.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford EL Falcon Sedan 6 cyl 4.0

VIC, Australia

Just did some searching on Brake Upgrades and the options all sound a bit expensive and a little bit tricky for me to do myself. :(

I painted the Calipers (Red) and changed the pads to Bendex pads a few weeks ago and I will be changing the Rotors to Slotted and Drilled at some stage as the rotors I have now are getting thin.

I think that will do for brake mods for now. 8-)

Please keep the suggestions coming. They are all appreciated. :D :D :D :D

Cheers

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nice car to start with! i'd start with your brakes and suspension so it drives nice and safe, then i'd start modding the engine. intake , exhaust then cam chip and tune. also it looks like you have a low series cluster, i'd think about upgrading that so you can have oil pressure and battery voltage as well.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

DamsEL1997 wrote:
Just did some searching on Brake Upgrades and the options all sound a bit expensive and a little bit tricky for me to do myself. :(

I painted the Calipers (Red) and changed the pads to Bendex pads a few weeks ago and I will be changing the Rotors to Slotted and Drilled at some stage as the rotors I have now are getting thin.

I think that will do for brake mods for now. 8-)

Please keep the suggestions coming. They are all appreciated. :D :D :D :D

Cheers

Sorry, by brakes upgrades I meant getting slotted rotors with better pads and possibly changing the rubber lines to braided (with engineers certificate). Upgrading to bigger brakes is expensive and costs two thirds of the price of the car, so unless you have money to blow, not worth it really (exception to race/track cars).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Slotted disks are the way to go with Green stuff pads I reckon...

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2002 Ford Falcon Ba

VIC, Australia

DamsEL1997, i have a ford ba and i changed my brake discs to Slotted and drilled ones, due to brake shudder. Best mod i ever did, cars brakes like a dream now. Get them off ebay for 250 for all 4

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2