Fordmods Logo

Heads & Cam (Dyno Pg 12 & 27, 1/4mile Pg 18) 

Page 2 of 52 [ 773 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

eed-250 wrote:
im in ur boat XH4LTWPN.. cant u just get a cam to suit the performer rpm???

I'd say theres plenty of cams that will suit the manifold, but they would probably all be cams for high rpm to work where the manifold does its job.
Personally i want lotsa torque around about 1500-3500rpm.
Looks like there could be two blokes wantin to swap upper plenums. :lol:

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Trikee wrote:
will have some mor pics in about a month or 2. had a photo shoot a week and a half ago for a magazine and i'm supposed to be getting a copy of all the photos. as for info, what do you wanna know really. some stuff i'm trying to keep a bit secret, just so mines a bit more individual, but 99% of the stuff i'll give you info about

cheers mate

Im guessing the big secret would be the cam. Basically just your engine combo minus what you dont want to let out, even driveline info would be interesting to see. Dont worry i also want to go with a combo thats a bit different from everyone elses but just want to make sure ive gathered enough info/advice on everything before i go out and buy all the parts, chuck em all on and end up dissapointed.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

also the heads you're looking at will be either trickflow or inlines with 1.9" valves.. so a cam to suit the rpm would want high revs and high flowing heads. it wont get either(heads wont flow all that much with the exception of the tf tws but factory donk limited at 6250rpm anyway, and heavy hyd roller drivetrain prob shuldnt rev much more than that anyway).. so ull end up with not much more power than a 'smaller' combo, except with a good smack less low and mid range torque.

give it a month(so i can finish stuff), ill let you know what AFR165s and a port matched gt40 style intake will do. both on dyno and quarter mile. my cam is in the thread i mentioned earlier.

XH, i understand you not wanting to not go the same as everyone else. i went the comp cam but every man and his dog seems to get the crane 20xx's around here(im sure its a good cam also). plus afr 165s not all that common. that said, i picked that combo because of so much evidence of great power and torque coming from mustangs with those same parts. www.corral.net is great.

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

lastly, XH where did you get the 2300 afr165 price? coz i got that price also except thats with a lead time of at least a month. at the time(two months ago) i couldnt wait that long so i paid a bit more than that.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
lastly, XH where did you get the 2300 afr165 price? coz i got that price also except thats with a lead time of at least a month. at the time(two months ago) i couldnt wait that long so i paid a bit more than that.

That price was from A1Hiperformance in myaree from their website. I havent actually rang up and got firm prices yet, just lookin at approximates while i decide which head. Where did you source yours from?

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
also the heads you're looking at will be either trickflow or inlines with 1.9" valves.. so a cam to suit the rpm would want high revs and high flowing heads. it wont get either(heads wont flow all that much with the exception of the tf tws but factory donk limited at 6250rpm anyway, and heavy hyd roller drivetrain prob shuldnt rev much more than that anyway).. so ull end up with not much more power than a 'smaller' combo, except with a good smack less low and mid range torque.

give it a month(so i can finish stuff), ill let you know what AFR165s and a port matched gt40 style intake will do. both on dyno and quarter mile. my cam is in the thread i mentioned earlier.

XH, i understand you not wanting to not go the same as everyone else. i went the comp cam but every man and his dog seems to get the crane 20xx's around here(im sure its a good cam also). plus afr 165s not all that common. that said, i picked that combo because of so much evidence of great power and torque coming from mustangs with those same parts. www.corral.net is great.

I was thinkin maybe TFS stg1 or 2, Crane 2020, or FMS e303 but am really unsure at the moment, need a bit of advice in this area.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Also clampy, did you need to notch your pistons to maintain piston/valve clearance?

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

got em from a1. ring em n speak to dave. tell him jamie aka clampy sent ya.

no notching, 1.9" valves. reason for afrs over edelbrocks was 1.9 165s flow as much as 2.02 performers. plus afr been receving alot of praise lately.

again, check corral out and spy peoples combos and wot cams theyre running, i went the comp xe270hr grind coz it was more open on the exhaust side, and the 165 afrs have the same zorst port as 185s.. so i figured more duration on exhaust side should match the head a bit more. if i were to do it again id get a custom cam with similar specs made from billet steel to match the stock dizzy gear.. i got 1.6 rollers coz .512" lift was plenty for my needs, plus slightly less susseptable to valve float. but again theres guys with 165s and that cam making circa 300rw torquey hp

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Looks like i will definately be goin for the AFR 165's, just unsure as to what cam i'll go for.

Clampy, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pick up your heads for?

Also what do you think about the cams i stated in an earlier post?

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

if u ring up a1, u should get them same price as wot i did.

yeh not too sure about the TFS cams, didnt really look into em.. the crane is good, as its very similar to the comp grind i got. the f303 is ok but im a fan of dual profile cams(dont ask me why i just like the idea of it), and the fms ones are identical profiles for intake/exhaust.

u doin the install yaself? i pulled out the stock cam before the lifters.. they fell down in to sump! so i ended up pulling motor. made it alot easier to install all the stuff, just the hassle of installing motor was a bit of a pain.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

mate go down to your local hp store and get the book 5.0l dyno tests its about 50 bucks they have over 500 dyno comparisons of different parts heads,cams etc excellent reading they state in there that FMS cams (alphabet) are old tech i went comp cams because of there modern design high lift quick ramp up do an exercise comparing different cams at advertised duration and at 50thou its interesting the difference.... as for wearing out distributor gears, mine has a synchroniser (au) and its fine?.... each to there own but do some homework and you should be able to acheive what you want :D

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

XH4LWEPN - custom :D Tell them everything about your car from diff ratios to the weight of your car.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
u doin the install yaself? i pulled out the stock cam before the lifters.. they fell down in to sump! so i ended up pulling motor. made it alot easier to install all the stuff, just the hassle of installing motor was a bit of a pain.

Yeah mate i will be. Haha, dont worry mistake of pulling cam out before lifters will only happen once :lol: .They will all be lifted out with the magnetic stick first.
I will be lifting the motor all the way out anyway. Have a new clutch, flyhweel, rear main and spigot bearing to fit aswell. Will probably also do the sump gasket, core plugs and paint the block up and anything else i may think while its on the stand. The box will be coming out aswell as its in need of a recon, synchros arent the best.

Speaking of boxes how much did the 6spd conversion set you back and did you do it yourself?

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fairy v8 wrote:
mate go down to your local hp store and get the book 5.0l dyno tests its about 50 bucks they have over 500 dyno comparisons of different parts heads,cams etc excellent reading they state in there that FMS cams (alphabet) are old tech i went comp cams because of there modern design high lift quick ramp up do an exercise comparing different cams at advertised duration and at 50thou its interesting the difference.... as for wearing out distributor gears, mine has a synchroniser (au) and its fine?.... each to there own but do some homework and you should be able to acheive what you want :D

Cheers fairy v8, might have to get my a*** down there and get some of these books. I take it its a yankee book as they are the guns when it comes to the 5.0L.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

One Drone wrote:
XH4LWEPN - custom :D Tell them everything about your car from diff ratios to the weight of your car.

One Drone, who would you reccomend to have the custom grind done by?

STREETBUILT RACING

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 52  [ 773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next