kawi's EA with AU XR6 

Page 3 of 10 [ 144 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: kawi's EA with AU XR6
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA, EB GT kit, AU XR6 HP engine

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
forgot the mention.. there are a couple of places where some panel bashing will be required... you'll see what I mean when you get both the garnishes off.

Hmmm, is it possible to get a dremel and cut the EA garnish for the EB reverse lights, then use the EB tail lights?

EA Fairmont, EB GT kit w/o wing, AU XR6 HP engine, 17's lol Buy it
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0628130825

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I didn't use a dremmel, but I grafted in the EB-ED lights too.. needed some backstraps to lock them in as the EA's are different mountings.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:50 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Thank's frankie.

Today was a pretty crap day... We ended up getting the engine in, but not the gearbox. We didn't want to crack the sump like last time, so we pulled the box out and we're working with limited tools, so it's hard to get the car really high, so lifting the trans is near impossible....

Anyone got any hints or easy ways to get a heavy auto lined up with your bare hands, lol?

After that we wire her up and start it up :D

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

kawasakirider wrote:
Thank's frankie.

Today was a pretty crap day... We ended up getting the engine in, but not the gearbox. We didn't want to crack the sump like last time, so we pulled the box out and we're working with limited tools, so it's hard to get the car really high, so lifting the trans is near impossible....

Anyone got any hints or easy ways to get a heavy auto lined up with your bare hands, lol?

Try using a trolley jack with some wood underneath the auto oil pan, just remember that the converter is gonna be the heavy point, so get someone to use the jack while you hold the auto bell housing and guide it up to the motor, first bolts to put in the are bottom ones just above the sump of the motor, and then do the converter bolts up .. You will need a big screw driver to turn the flex plate to line them up .

At work, we use hoists so we have gearbox jacks, makes life a lot easier!!!!

Goodluck! Laticia.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:37 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Sommers NL wrote:
kawasakirider wrote:
Thank's frankie.

Try using a trolley jack with some wood underneath the auto oil pan, just remember that the converter is gonna be the heavy point, so get someone to use the jack while you hold the auto bell housing and guide it up to the motor, first bolts to put in the are bottom ones just above the sump of the motor, and then do the converter bolts up .. You will need a big screw driver to turn the flex plate to line them up .

Goodluck! Laticia.

Thanks for that advice, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I want to kick my own a** right now....

This morning I got up and started to cut and polish the inside of the engine bay as it had gotten filthy since we've been working on it. That came up ok. Then I decided to get underneath it and try and get the gearbox in by myself.

I got pretty close, I had it up on bricks and then a trolley jack with a bit of wood to spread the force evenly under the pan and gradually moved it forwards and up. Then it fell and landed on my leg and I had the s**t. So I dragged it out and lifted the engine.

I had intentions of installing it as one unit (I know this isn't a good idea with the I6 as it's too long and I'd probably dent the front of the shell, but I was going to put a blanket over it).

So I tried to put them together once they were out of the car, and it got close but for some reason I couldn't get it just the little bit extra. For the life of me I couldn't get the lugs on the bell housing to line up and go into the back of the block straight.

I then decided just to put it all back as it was and wait for my mate to give me a hand to get the trans in, so I jacked the engine up a little bit more than it was so I could pull the box off the end and guess what.........

The crane lost pressure because somehow, the tap that you turn to let it down or lock it fell out and the valve opened.

This sent the engine and the trans crashing to the ground, it didn't happen as soon as I jacked it up though, oh no... It waited until I was about to pull the trans off and decided the engine was going to smack my hand and arm on the way down.

Mass crack in the sump and I am just so angry at myself right now. All I wanted to do was make some progress on the car and I end up putting us back a couple of days and out another $100.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

kawasakirider wrote:
Sommers NL wrote:
kawasakirider wrote:
Thank's frankie.

Goodluck! Laticia.

Thanks for that advice, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I want to kick my own a** right now....

This morning I got up and started to cut and polish the inside of the engine bay as it had gotten filthy since we've been working on it. That came up ok. Then I decided to get underneath it and try and get the gearbox in by myself.

I got pretty close, I had it up on bricks and then a trolley jack with a bit of wood to spread the force evenly under the pan and gradually moved it forwards and up. Then it fell and landed on my leg and I had the s**t. So I dragged it out and lifted the engine.

I had intentions of installing it as one unit (I know this isn't a good idea with the I6 as it's too long and I'd probably dent the front of the shell, but I was going to put a blanket over it).

So I tried to put them together once they were out of the car, and it got close but for some reason I couldn't get it just the little bit extra. For the life of me I couldn't get the lugs on the bell housing to line up and go into the back of the block straight.

I then decided just to put it all back as it was and wait for my mate to give me a hand to get the trans in, so I jacked the engine up a little bit more than it was so I could pull the box off the end and guess what.........

The crane lost pressure because somehow, the tap that you turn to let it down or lock it fell out and the valve opened.

This sent the engine and the trans crashing to the ground, it didn't happen as soon as I jacked it up though, oh no... It waited until I was about to pull the trans off and decided the engine was going to smack my hand and arm on the way down.

Mass crack in the sump and I am just so angry at myself right now. All I wanted to do was make some progress on the car and I end up putting us back a couple of days and out another $100.

Sorry to here about that, not good when that happens, you have to push the converter back, thats why its not lining up!!!

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:25 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

So I need a pry bar to push the converter back, while holding the trans at the same time, then the trans should be able to be pushed the cm or so forwards to the back of the engine to bolt it up?

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Ahh, no. Don't force anything.

It once took me several hours to get the trans to 'click' into place. Still don't know why.

On the convertor, there is a small round knob, that will sit in the hole in the middle of the crank. Make sure you smear some grease on the knob and in the crank recess. This should help it all slide together.

I have removed and installed 4 different sixes with the gearboxes attached. You just need to have the right angle for it to slide in. Jack up the back of the car as high as you can, and remove the bonnet if you havn't already.

Good Luck with the rest of it.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:01 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:

It once took me several hours to get the trans to 'click' into place. Still don't know why.

On the convertor, there is a small round knob, that will sit in the hole in the middle of the crank. Make sure you smear some grease on the knob and in the crank recess. This should help it all slide together.

I have removed and installed 4 different sixes with the gearboxes attached. You just need to have the right angle for it to slide in. Jack up the back of the car as high as you can, and remove the bonnet if you havn't already.

BenJ

Thanks mate. I'll get the new sump and try and get this trans on the back of the engine. Hopefully it will go on and then I can get the right angle. We took the XR6 engine and transmission out of the AU in one unit, but as the AU wasn't jacked up, the transmission would hit the ground, so we had to force it out and it hit the front of the car a lot. I realize it will have to be jacked up, but as far as I can tell, this would be FAR easier than trying to lift the transmission when I'm lying on my back haha.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:04 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:

BenJ

Wait.... The converter is still on the engine on mine... Do I slide it off and then into the trans and then put the trans on the engine?

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

kawasakirider wrote:
Wait.... The converter is still on the engine on mine... Do I slide it off and then into the trans and then put the trans on the engine?

Unbolt the convertor from the engine, and slide it home on the transmission input shaft. Is there any oil in the convertor?

Then slide the box and convertor as a unit up to the flex plate. Hopefully the convertor is still OK, and you should have a look at the transmission input shaft seal too.

BenJ

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:
kawasakirider wrote:

Unbolt the convertor from the engine, and slide it home on the transmission input shaft. Is there any oil in the convertor?

Then slide the box and convertor as a unit up to the flex plate. Hopefully the convertor is still OK, and you should have a look at the transmission input shaft seal too.

BenJ

Everything is fine except the sump, nothing else hit the ground. I don't know if there's any oil in the converter, a lot has leaked out since it's been sitting. Once I unbolt the converter from the engine, how do I bolt it back after I've put the trans back on and bolted it up?

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

kawasakirider wrote:
Everything is fine except the sump, nothing else hit the ground. I don't know if there's any oil in the converter, a lot has leaked out since it's been sitting. Once I unbolt the converter from the engine, how do I bolt it back after I've put the trans back on and bolted it up?

You will be able to get at one bolt at a time from underneath the sump. Use a screwdriver in the starter motor hole to stop the flexplate from spinning.

BenJ

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Cheers for that BenJ. I'll be getting a new sump tomorrow and then I might attempt to do it myself.

When I was lifting the trans and having heaps of trouble lining up the two lugs that come out of the bell housing, if I take the time to take the converter out and bolt it up from the bottom of the sump, will I have an easier time of lining them up?

If I can get the trans bolted up by myself I'll have a go at putting it in the car by myself. I am stressing to get the car on the road. It's doing my head in having it sit on the driveway like it is lol.

I miss my falcon :(

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

is your converter in right? it should go in with a "click" and should spin freely maybe try turning the converter by hand and make sure it goes in all the way by pushing it, if its just sitting on the spine, its not in right, and your dowels on the bellhousing / engine won't go together.

Laticia.

BANNED!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 10  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next