Fordmods Logo

knowsfords EBuildup 

Page 1 of 7 [ 92 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: knowsfords EBuildup
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

I thought I'd leave the old topic dead and post all my progress here in the one thread... the roadworthy battle is almost done and future mods are yet to come.

On saturday I bought this...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0216242956

And then got it towed home yesterday.

I have plans for it, mainly cosmetic (au side repeaters tommorow woo)... but I also plan on getting it running, this is where I've hit a snag.

The guy who I bought it off of has jumbled up the wires something shocking, so I've taken a few pictures to try and see if you guys can help out.

Some more details, its a EB falcon... the engine I was told is a EL but it is obvious that it is EF, there is two harnesses in the boot that were previously in the passenger side footwell... both with the ecu connector but both different... I'm not sure how these are supposed to plug in, one is what I assume to be the EB one the other has to be an EL one.

The windscreen is cracked and the hoodlining is sagging, from what I can tell the power steering pump pulley has a crack in it, theres no plate between the engine and the plate between the engine and the auto is missing, the starter is in the boot with one of the new taillights and the harnesses.

I'm buying an EB engine harness this weekend along with an EL dizzy, from what I can gather I can get the car running on the EB computer and harness with the BBM and then convert it to the EL computer once I get my smartlock bypass... right? Also getting the davies craig thermo kit to run the fans.

I need pictures of stock wiring, diagrams, suggestions on what to do, suggestions on what books I can read from the library.. etc etc. Thanks guys.

PS.
I'm in Logan, QLD so if anyone is around that can help can you pm me please?[/img][/i]

Wanted, CFI manifold

Last edited by knowsfords on Sat May 31, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

sexyr6 wrote:
hope these are helpful...

the top loom is the enginge managment loom.. if you need more pic's let me know..

They'll be plenty helpful I'm sure, but I wouldn't mind more pic's if thats no trouble :)

Anywho plan of attack for the weekend;

Install the Davies Craig thermoswitch kit, remove the intake manifold, remove the chopper wheel distributor thing, install an EL distributor, install the EB engine harness on the manifold, replace the manifold, try to make sense of all the wiring as I go along.

Tommorow the AUIII indicator repeators should be in the mail, so I'll put them on the side when I get home :D

Next week if all goes well with the engine hookup, I'll be putting my new headlights in as well as getting it prepared for roadworthy.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Okay, so I've roughly placed everything in the right spot and this afternoon I'm going to install the dizzy and starter... however tommorow I'm modifying the EB engine harness so I can use the EF plugs.

But does this...
Equal this?

And uh...

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Done

Finished threading my engine harness.

Sourced all the stuff to wire up the davies craig thermokit, didn't get around to actually doing it though -_-.

Fitted my new reproduction headlights, they dont quite fit as well but they're nice and new and shiney.

Sourced an AU intake pipe and a peice of aluminium pipe to do a BenJ-esque intake mod.

Sourced and fitted a washer bottle plus pvc piping (hey its important okay!).

Fitted new parkers (ooo white led)

Fitted a battery and listened to the factory radio for a minute or two... was a bit of a triumphant moment.

Got autoleaders to install the dizzy and coil.

I didn't realise the auto cooler was integrated into the radiator so there was no need to freak, I'll get an external cooler one day but today is not that day.

The engine mounts were bolted in properly at autoleaders.

Got autoleaders to install the starter motor.

New fuel lines are hooked up!

Installed new H4/H3 bulbs in the headlights... battery is going even more flat from the glovebox light being on due to the glovebox being removed so I didn't have any cranking power. -_-

New rotor cap, new dizzy cap, new leads.

Coil plugged in, didn't think the loom would be long enough, manifold air temp sensor wiring extended to compensate.

New windscreen.

Fuel pump relay installed, gone are the indicator quibbles.

Whats left to do?
Not much anymore, starting to get frustrated that its so close yet so far.

Power steering pump swapped for a working unit with pulley, however the old brass fitting is still jammed onto the old powersteering pump connector.

Flat battery, its probably stuffed... buying a new one.

Gotta wire up my davies craig thermal switch.

Gotta sort the vacuum stuff for the BBM, not sure where it connects to behind the dash.

The Smartlock bypass module is here, I can't not install it and run the EL ecu... its got to be done, but the ecu isn't even here.

Other stuff thats slightly less important but will need to be done for the roadworthy.

Sagging headlining.

Front bumper has a split in the lower airdam and a scratch on the right hand side, will probably get a new bar.

Stuff that doesn't have to be done right away
The guy who I bought the car off of hack sawed out the bloody aircon... I'm going to have to eventually rip out the dash and put in a whole new heater/aircon unit.

The brighter brake light tech document sings to me as a nice simple project to do when I'm bored.

EL Door trims and EB/ED fairmont seats, hell I'd be happy with just the new door trims if only I could find someone willing to part with the GLi door trims (can live without power windows) without having the wreckers wanting to charge me $60 ea

Front/Rear bumpers, Mirrors and EL Door handles painted... whole car professionally buffed.

New stereo.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tue March 25

So the car went to autoleaders today.

They've installed the dizzy and starter motor (hooray!)
Got them to fix the half a*** engine mounts.
They've got a guy coming in tommorow to make some fuel lines up.

I was trying to think of other things the guy I bought it from might've buggered up and my brother suggested that he might not have fitted the torque converter correctly... so I got autoleaders to have a check and it turns out there were no bolts holding it in at all.

So yeah tommorow I can check off a few things from my list I guess :)

EDIT: by the way, as some of you might have read in my thread in the ecu and fuel system subforum... how great is it that ford insisted on a proprietary relay for the fuel pump -_- I'll go to the wreckers on the weekend and see if I can pilfer one from a AU/BA/BF, I know the EL's have the same brown and green bottomed proprietary connected relays but I hope that I can get one from a BF just so I can really mongrel up my falcon :wink:

EB falcon, EF motor, EL distributor, AU intake pipe, BF fuel pump relay :lol:

Wed March 26

Car's home safe and sound, found out the EB engine harness wont quite reach the coil when mounted in the EF manifold... going to try and jiggle it along to try and get it to fit otherwise I'm going to have to learn to be a contortionist solderer.

Dizzy and starter installed.
Fuel lines all sorted.
Engine mounts sorted.
Torque converter sorted for free (didn't charge me parts woo).

They had to remove the manifold to get access to install the dizzy and the fuel lines, apparently the gasket that came off crumbled. They threw in new injector seals for free.

Anywho, to get it running I need the following;

Aforementioned coil wiring fitment.
A fuel pump relay.
New power steering pump.
Thermofan install.

THATS IT! :D

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thursday March 27

ok! I realised this is what BenJ meant when he said the manifold air temperature sensor connector wont reach and it wasn't mentioned in the articles... I figured I'd better cut and shut that rather than the coil wire incase something freaky started happening due to what was an admittedly half decent solder job thanks to lack of room -_-

So yeah, everything is bolted up as far as I can see... just need the fuel pump relay, thermo fan switch install, a power steering pump and a charged battery now!

Friday March 28

Woo new windscreen just got installed, its starting to look like a car!
So anyways, I got my smartlock bypass module in the mail this afternoon three wires... with luck I'll have it wired in this weekend ready for when my el ecu gets here :)

Saturday March 29

ARGH!!! I'm going to bloody throttle the bloke who sold this car to me... he does not deserve to own tools, the bloody power steering lines coming off the back of the pump are almost seized on and I think might be cross threaded.

At least the new pump is sitting pretty in there waiting for the main of the two hoses.

My brother can't find his battery charger, so I'm just going to buy a new battery... f**k f**k around with a f**k flat f**k battery that might be f**k f**k *starts twitching*.

And also I discovered I made a mistake with the air intake temperature sensor, I had the right one in my hand ready to cut... then put the harness down to go do something, came back and picked it up by the knock sensor connector and yeah... at least I know what the knock sensor looks like on the block now.

I also installed the fuel pump relay and there hasn't been any more indicator weirdness so I hit the nail on the head there.

I think that will be enough for today before I start looking eagerly at the tin of petrol.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yep. Knocked out the starter motor solenoid wire when I was doing the manifold air temp connector extensionification... cranks over now :D but doesn't fire :( but its okay because its the sound that happens when the timing is way out :D

Anywho, put on the serpentine belt and the main line for the powersteering pump so thats done.

Got my EF door handles, the colours not the same but damn its close to C**k... might run them as they are for now and get them done when the door mirrors and the bumpers are done.

Also got my "EL ECU" which is an EF ecu, going to contact the guy on ebay.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hey all, this is the engine bay all mocked up.

Still have to install that thermofan switch kit, work out how the EF/EL vacuum attaches to the behind the dash vacuum, bolt up the exhaust and get the timing done on it... at least it cranks now :D

Tommorow I'm doing the thermofan kit and looking closer at the vacuum.

On monday my ecu is arriving from BenJ and so is the guy with my interior, not going to fit the EF seats yet (don't have a welder) and the door trims look like a project I could do next weekend but they're gli so I don't know what differences will be from the doortrim guide... but yeah monday I'm putting in an EF carpet, EF kickpanels, EF scuffplates, EF A pillar trims etc.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Friday April 4

BenJ wrote:
LOL reminds me of my engine bay but in blue.

Yep ECU is in the mail, so fingers crossed by Monday night it should be running.

BenJ

Well imitation is the greatest form of flattery :wink:

Don't quite know if monday will be the day it starts but heres hoping, because I don't have a timing light... I'll probably send it back down to autoleaders and get them to do a service on it and get it started.

Monday April 7

Okay, half finished the thermoswitch install... Wired in the smartlock bypass, just got to finish wiring up the thermoswitch and then I can send it down to get tuned and then hopefully it'll start :D

Also the ecu from BenJ arrived and thats in.

I bought a complete EF interior off of ebay.
Going to pull out my seats, the driver side kickpanel, scuff plates, centre console and install the EL carpet I have here then replace the scuff plates, kick panels plus rear seat and bolsters with that from the EF stock.

The gli door trims almost look like they'll go straight in.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well on the weekend I replaced the spark plugs trying to chase the reason why it wouldn't start... the old ones were pretty grubby and a little corroded but I'm not sure that it was enough to hinder it at least spluttering cough starting, so they didn't hurt.

Anyway at this time I didn't have a charged battery (cranking my engine too much and also the glovebox light when I left it open accidentally) so after borrowing my brothers charger I charged it up and it was ready to go this afternoon.

I put in my freshly charged battery cranked it over AND!! it didn't start... bugger... anywho, I pulled out plug lead no 1 and pushed the lead onto one of the old spark plugs and had my brother crank the engine, I've got spark so at least I know the dizzy works and the wiring works.

I'm thinking that it could be one of a few things.

A) The timing is way out
B) Theres not much fuel in it according to the gauge, it might be pumping vapour.
C) The fuel pump might be buggered, after all the fuel pump relay was.
D) The fuel thats in it has to be fairly old, it may have lost enough octane to not be very combustable.

ANYWHO.
In conclusion I didn't think about the fuel... if when I put some in tomorrow it fires then I'll be certain to be slightly peeved :p

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tuesday April 22

ringastinga wrote:
A. set the crank at TDC cylinder 1 compression stroke, check that cam mark is at 3o'clock (dizzy can olso be 180 degrees out

B. put fuel in it (best way to f**k a pump is to not have fuel)

C. can u hear the pump when u turn key to "on"? if not give it a whack whilst cranking (it often works)

D. umm... yeah

The car went down to my brothers mate's workshop today, he's going to take a look at it for me so heres hoping its the timing.

Fuel didn't help.

Fuel pump clicks on fine.

Its true! When fuel goes 'off' it gums up fuel lines and injectors.

Thursday April 24

ITS ALIVE, muahahaha :lol:

Saturday April 26

So just had a chat with my brothers mate who's working on it for me...

ARGH!
Apparently the thermos are rooted.. direct power and they don't work.

*ahem*

By the way, the whole reason why the thing wasn't starting was the mechanic at autoleaders put the fuel lines around the wrong way. Rang them up and Jason (another brothers mate who works at autoleaders) blew up at the mechanic that did the work for not checking the orientation of the lines.

So, the saga continues.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tuesday May 6

Little bit of an update, the guy who my brother recommended quit... I moved houses and yeah, finally got the car back this arvo... well not quite, its off to the auto trimmer to get the headlining done.

I miss my car :(
But now all that I have to do is fit the carpet this Saturday and then its done, ready for roadworthy.

Saturday May 10

Woo just drove it down my brothers driveway (and along the road a little, sssh don't tell anyone), its got balls considering I still haven't wired in the knock sensor or bbm switch yet.

It looks like the coolant temp sensor isn't working, that or the guage itself is buggered. The headlining is looking good, the battery is flat (got a jumpstart off of the towie) and I think that the alternator might not be charging the battery.

FINALLY swapping out the carpet and the scuff plates and kick panels today, and giving it a wipe over.

Wooo.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Saturday May 17

Good news, the alternator is fine... 14 volts across the terminals when the engine is running, looks like its just that the battery needs a good charge.

Picked up a spare rim today, took the back wheels off and got two new bridgestone re92's fitted to my steelies because the tyres on them were pretty ordinary and wouldn't pass roadworthy. The best one of the two old tyres was also fitted to the rim I got from the wreckers as a spare. Fitted the two newies to the front, rotated the old front wheels to the back and put the newly crowned spare in the boot.

Once I've finished d**k around with the interior tomorrow I'll give the car a clean and take some pics.

All that I need to do then is change the brake pads next weekend, and it will finally be roadworthy :)

Monday May 19

Done the weekend of 17/18 May:
Saturday, 8am start:
Picked up a spare steelie rim
Took off back wheels, got the two tyres replaced with some newuns
Rotated the two newly tyred wheels to the front, then the two old fronts to the rear
Removed the seats (finally, after one bolt was in extremely tightly)
Removed the centre console
Removed the carpet
Started the BBM switch and knock sensor loom
Then a storm came over at 4pm

Sunday, 11am start:
Put the car up on blocks again as high as I could get it to get access to the knock sensor.
Finished off the bbm switch/knock sensor loom.
Threaded the loom into the cabin and soldered it up.
Vacuumed the crap that used to be under the old carpet off of the floor.
Installed new carpet
Installed EF B pillar trims,
Ran out of light at 5pm

Need to do this weekend 24/25th May:
Chase a bug in the headlights by replacing the headlight switch and indicator stalk assembly to eliminate them.
Change the front brake pads.
Finish fitting the bits of the EF interior I want to put in, including scuff plates, rear seat and kick panels.
Fit the crappy looking cheap seat covers to the original slightly worn EB seats until I can arrange for the EB legs to be attached to the EF seats[/u]

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Okay okay!
I have some pics, they're not the best

Last weekend working on the knock sensor and bbm switch, cars very dirty.

Taken yesterday afternoon with fading light, so they're a little rushed. Also I'd just given it a light chamois.

I don't really have any pics that show how good the interior REALLY looks.
This is the EF GLi rear seat, has a few light stains but they're going to get cleaned out soon.

EF Kick panels, can't notice the gap unless you're down low

Engine bay, waiting for my XR6T snorkel... taken with the engine running, not that it shows up on camera -_-

Anywho, got to still change the oil and brakes today.
The headlights still require attention.
And me and my brother have figured out a way to mount the EF seats without much modification.

And it still needs a proper clean inside and out.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Sunday May 25

Went to Park Ridge wreckers just before and got some goodies :D

From an AU a brand new dome light cover.
Just sitting inside an EF was a steering wheel column cover, obviously someone had taken it off to get at another part.
Inside an EL was a centre console lid, again the work was done for me :D
Took off some seat adjuster handles from an EF as my EB's EF seats are missing a couple.
And I also got a whole handful of relays from various eb's/ed's.

If the centre console lid fits I'll consider fitting an EF/EL gearknob too :P

Tuesday May 27

Huzzah's are in order, just got my new combination switch and BA XR6 snorkel in the mail :D

Planned for this weekened;

Get some EF weatherstrips and a handful of gauge senders.
Change oil.
Change brakes.
Mount front seats using some thick walled spacers and some hardened bolts.
Fit new combination switch and steering column surround.
Fit XR6T snorkel.
Fit EB lower thermostat housing.
Change coolant.
Mount the headunit.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next