Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 8 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: My 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Looking good, when's the lowering happening? :P

||||

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
I do mine Fairmont lights every year. With the wet and dry all the way up to 2000 grit. Then the same polish as you. Mine last quite well really.

Have you looked at http://www.twinlight.com.au/twinlightphotos.htm ? Nearly a grand by the time you get them to little old Dorkland tho brother.... I want some too........!

And hey - That image from TradeMe (FalconFutura) is the guy I got the LSD diff from.......

His names Mike, he's got heaps of falcon/LTD parts, currently helping me out with a trans tunnel cut :P Pretty good on prices too. s**t KWIKXR that engine bay is looking gorgeous, almost looks like a clip from Performance Ford mag

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

XFWAGON wrote:
His names Mike, he's got heaps of falcon/LTD parts, currently helping me out with a trans tunnel cut :P Pretty good on prices too. s**t KWIKXR that engine bay is looking gorgeous, almost looks like a clip from Performance Ford mag

Thanks XFWAGON, yeah the engine bay is starting to come along nicely, just needs a few more things then it'll be done for now.

s**t yeah, Mike's got awesome prices. I picked up my interior stuff from him i.e woodgrain shifter surround, 4 chrome door handles, leather shifter with chrome button all for $130ish posted.

Almost a steal when i compare the prices to what wreckers wanted for these parts. $120 for the shifter surround, $140 for chrome door handles, $75 for the leather shifter with faded leather :shock:

Chadddy wrote:
Looking good, when's the lowering happening? :P

Thanks Chaddy, lowering will be happening when i get some money happening :lol:. Gotta start saving up for some superlows for the rear which is gonna cost me around $220ish brand new. The front is low enough as it is so that'll do for now

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Yeah, old Mike... He's a good sort really, other than telling me to buy a Commodore as my list of "wanted to buys" was getting huge and confusing. I've got a couple of parts off him, and he has (unlike the a*** who sold me the T5) offered some form of compensation and / or help with finding a replacement for the "half an LSD" I bought... Anyways, I've gone to all that effort to chop the sedan stuff off and put the wagon stuff on, and didn't really want to be going through all that again just yet!!!

Ho hum.

Seems like a fair fellow, that's for sure - although he is still hunting for that right side clear repeater that I was meant to get six months ago!!!! :roll:

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Have stuffed around with interior lighting a bit this week. Finally got round to installing some triple LED wedge bulbs for the cluster to make it light up a little better. So got round to finish of my blue LED dash i started a while back. Left the lighting behind the LCD panels though, didnt like the look of it being all blue for some reason, the orange breaks it up nicely plus you can see it in the day time as opposed to the LED's. Also installed a set of EL dials, like the look of them a tad better, they look more modern i suppose. All other interior lighting is now white LED, courtesy lights, footwell lights, etc, just got to do the map lights now. My camera and its inability to go into nightmode does not do the LED dash justice, but its a lot better than before i reckon

Have now taken a liking to when i open the drivers door at night, i get hit with a bright ray of blue :mrgreen:

Also got round to doing my number plate light while i was at it, looks a s**t better than the yellow light before

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Lights look great! I see you got the EL Cluster or faces too.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing in white, don't know if it would look weird though.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers Slo.

I reckon white would look better, would look more natural and im guessing you wouldnt really notice if the lighting was uneven as much as you do with the blue, i cant seem to get the led's i want in white though so had to settle with blue. Plus i like the look of the blue needles :mrgreen:

Yea picked up the EL faces from pick a part the other day, the stupid person at the counter said if you want the faces you have to buy the whole cluster :x so ended up getting ripped $20 for the faces. But if i didnt get them id never know how they would look. First time i came across an EL at pick a part before. Come to think of it, i may just go back there today to pick up a rocker cover i saw on a lonely AU, probably the latest model ford at pick a part right now :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well havent had much doing as of late, no money being the reason why :lol:

Have a week off, so i have decided to have a crack at polishing the top half of the BBM and clean up the ports while im at it. Will leave the lower half till i take the car off the road for headwork later on down the track. Heres the progress so far with the port work on the BBM, only done half so far, other half will get done tommorrow..

The smoother side in the pics is the side thats been worked on obviously, the ports are so rough its not funny

Also polished the fuel rail and the BBM solenoid while i had access to it.

Hopefully will get a bit more done on the BBM tommorrow, sanding this thing smooth is gonna be a b**ch. Also waiting on an XR6 leather wheel to show up sometime this week which will go in, then off to search for some clear side repeaters and hopefully get a nice billet oil cap 8-)

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

You wouldn't believe how many times I have contemplated giving that another crack and simply giving up on it. I started stripping another EL rocker cover the other night. Gave up on that too, and is now sitting out in the weather... Terrible, terrible. What a waste.

I've got three and a half BBM's sitting here. If you want another one to polish up, just holler!

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
You wouldn't believe how many times I have contemplated giving that another crack and simply giving up on it. I started stripping another EL rocker cover the other night. Gave up on that too, and is now sitting out in the weather... Terrible, terrible. What a waste.

I've got three and a half BBM's sitting here. If you want another one to polish up, just holler!

Im already second guessing myself about polishing this damn BBM and i havent even started the outside :lol: . Still have to find some kind of clear coat to seal it if i do go thru with it.

Funny you mention that, the other night i was so tempted to buy the one you had put up on trade me. If only i had the money, lol. Even that XR6 cam you've got on there would be a good addition to my Fairmont for now, the worn cam ive got in now is playing funny buggers with my torque curve :lol:. I'll might just shoot a pm at you if i end up needing one, cheers :wink:

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah, I've had a few people wanting the cam and parts of the BBM but no one has fronted with a bid or any cash. NZEA really wants the 300kpa fuel reg off the BBM, so should go and change the listing to "270 kpa and no throttle body"... Gave all the throttle bodies away yesterday. Only had five in the end, but combined with a few others already sent I am hoping to have enough brownie points to pay a deposit on the upgraded model.

Regarding the "clear coat sealant".... If it get's hot all the time it will go yellow. Promise.

Far better idea is the HPC thing (there's an outfit in Auckland... $300+ for a BBM tho...) To get real positive benefit you'd need to take the whole lot off and get the bottom coated too, of course. Whilst you're there you could have a mushroom growing from your inlet manifold....

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

are you sure you wanna start this mission? :lol:

i polished one to sell......16 hours by hand and roughly $40 in sandpaper & autosol. Wasnt the brightest idea as i made peanuts in the end :cry:

if you do go ahead with, dont spray any clear on..... just rub over with autosol every couple months. Ive only done the first three runners on my car as the intake hides the rest (and because i gave up) and i havnt touched it in 12 months and its still shiny :)

Last edited by FordFairmont on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Lol im not sure, but i just have to focus on the finished product and that might just sway me into actually doing it. Would work out being a bit cheaper than HPC which is what i wanted but oh well, should be more than happy once its smoothened out and nice and chrome-like

s**t that one you did came up mint FordFairmont, a lot of time went into that :wink:

About the clearcoat, thanks for the tips, i think i'll stay away from clearcoat now, come to think of it everything alloy that i have polished and tried to seal with a clearcoat has turned to s**t (,ISC solenoid, fairmont grill -twice lol), definately dont want that happening on a BBM :lol:

EDIT: And fiend, if no has taken the XR6 cam off your hands before i have the cash, then you might have a buyer lol. Might be a few weeks till i can absolutely afford it, but it might come in handy to send off for a reprofile, the cam i got now might be too badly worn to be reground, has some pretty bad scoring and what not.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

If you only want it for a regrind, I have a standard EF Monty one sitting in the garage... Am thinking about getting it turned into a 977B or something really lumpy and having a play with it in my car and then flog either the 1673 or the lumpy one off for what it cost me. Basically you can say $40 for a standard cam, $120 shipping and $140 for grinding if you go the route I did.

The only thing with the XR6 cam is that you don't need the dodgy-ness of having another shim floating around in your rocker arms...
:)

If you want a little bit of performance boost and a spare cam, then buying the XR6 isn't such a bad move. You could put the XR6 in your car, wait till you've got the cash and ship the standard old Monty off to whomever will do the grind for you.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeahp, Mr Monts polishing skills are tops alright. I'd mine to look like that, and then the ceramic coating to glazed on... That would be a happy day. In the meantime, I am still trying to find an AU I6 head gasket to put the bloody head back on.

I'd better go for a trip down the garage and wrap everything in glad wrap --- it's all so clean, and since it's not going back together tonight it'd be a shame to waste all that cleaning!

Cheers.....

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 110  Next