Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 105 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's EF Fairmont
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I know it's a bit dorky but with your heat problems would a bonnet vents benefit you? It would let the hot air escape better?

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

They sure would, bonnet vents would be perfect for what I need, but trying to find something that doesn't look too 'out of place' is proving to be a bit difficult.

I have been looking at Cosworth style vents and have seriously been considering a rear vented BA/BF bonnet bulge like a mate has done with his turbo'd EF. Seems to work quite well with his setup.

Have also been very keen on what 'Rollin' over on boostedfalcon.net did with his bonnet, functional and looks awesome :twisted: Image

Only problem being my car is driven every day, in all sorts of weather so wouldn't want to get a lot of water splashing down over the motor, more importantly any electrics etc.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Thanks for the info. Looks like you gained a fair bit from the diff swap.

Would it help if you chopped the bonnet out behind the grille and let the air flow through there?

At least you beat the BA. I'm sure theres more in it once you can get the bay cooled down. Maybe an over ride switch to get the thermos on max would help to move some air through between runs?

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

No worries bud :wink:

Surprisingly, yeah, got a few gains out of the diff swap. 2 wheel action, loads more traction, and nearly a full second quicker down the quarter. Not bad for $52 pick a part special :lol:

Modding the section behind the grill could be an option, something that I've never really thought about, thanks for the suggestion :). Would help air flow nicely over the engine when moving. Might have to consider opening up the plastic piece of the grill and cutting some holes behind it. Would still need vents of some sort to help let out the hot air when sitting stationary though.

The thermo fan over-ride idea sounds like a winner to me, would be cool to have full control over the fans, that way could have them on full blast through pit lane, then when it comes time to burnout then stage, I could switch it back to normal. Definitely will be looking into that more and see if I can work something out! :)

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Haven't updated here in a while lol..

Did 1 more drag event. Didn't better my PB, but still had some fun..

Still running fairly similar mid 15 times all at 90-91mph as usual. Here's one of my runs, can't remember exactly what I ran on this, think it was a high 15 or something lol. Got smashed off the line but managed to reel this R33 RB25DE manual in just before the finish line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVTFGDE43M8

Considering pulling the current cam out and trying out a high lift, short duration cam I've got stashed away, has a fairly wide powerband so will be interesting to see what it can do. It could benefit from some more low-mid end pull to get it off the line harder to drop that 60 footer time. Haven't got the money for diff gear change or hi-stall yet so not going to bother with it until I have $$ for it.

Also, did a dyno day with a couple of mates, held at Revolution Dyno Centre which has a Mustang dynamometer. Pulled 149rwkw and 150rwkw back to back. Pretty happy with that considering everyone else who had their cars dyno'd elsewhere made much less power on this dyno e.g. a guy with a FG 335GT pulled 312rwkw on a Mainline dyno and pulled 299rwkw at the dyno day.

This dyno had capabilities of doing simulated sprint tests such as 0-100kmh, 1/4 mile tests etc so was a lot of fun, especially since the operator got us all to drive our own cars on the dyno for power runs and sprint tests. Not very accurate at all as it doesn't account for wheelspin or vehicle weight, but it does apply some sort of aerodynamic drag once the dyno rollers see over 100kmh. I did 2 1/4 mile sprints and got 12.9 and 12.6 sec passes LOL. Fastest time on the day was a low 11 by a Roush 5XR Mustang which pulled 339rwkw from memory. Was a good day all in all :)

Quick video of one of the 1/4 sprint test..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIFFjZPHmn0

Haven't really touched anything with the car lately apart from upgrading the tweeters to some old school soft dome "Audiophile" tweeters, they really do add some SQ finesse to the system, they sound so much smoother and detailed than the Response ribbon tweeters I had in previously.

Had Auckland All Ford Day the weekend before last so got the Fairmont all ready for that, got plenty of attention all day which was great to see, makes all the hard work worth it.

And some pro photo's

Met up with a guy at the show who had a mint EB GT replica. He upgraded to some 19" FPV wheels so I put in my interest for the 17x8 ROH Envy wheels that he had.

On Sunday just gone, I went and picked up them up..

And put them on straight away lol, pretty damn happy with how it sits now :mrgreen:

Will get the minor curbing fixed up on these and probably re-do these in duplicolor Silver, was going to do them black initially, but the clean silver is a refreshing change and is growing on me fast!

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

That looks amazing :o

EL Ghia

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers man :wink:

Kind of got sick of having a 3000-6000rpm sort of powerband on the stock stall and 3.45 gears (can't afford to do that stuff at the moment), so last night I dropped a high lift, short duration, mild cam back in for the time being.

Cam is a Franklin RH24B profile (195in/192exº duration @ 50thou, .530"in/.504" valve lift, 114LSA). Also swapped in the Crow vernier adjustable cam gear while I was at it.

Currently I have dialed the cam gear in at 0 degrees as per factory cam timing just to see how it goes. J3 is out at the moment as it'll need to be retuned to suit this cam, so it's currently just running off the standard ECU. Should have a lot more in with some timing added, made a massive difference with the last cam. Haven't really tested it out properly due to crap weather but it seems to go pretty good as is. Heaps more low end torque obviously, but probably won't have anywhere near the top end pull the previous cam had. Still pulls quite hard through the midrange though with it's broad powerband.

Engines runs so damn smooth now, feels smoother now than it did when it was completely stock lol. Manifold vacuum at idle is back up at 19-20in compared to 13-14in with the previous cam, big valve overlap FTL! Miss the lopey idle and having the whole car rock in sync with it though lol..

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

:o :shock: Now I'm jealous... I'll swap you... you can have my Hilux and I'll have your car :P :lol:

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Yes, those wheels are so much better mate!
The black ones were alright, but made your car look kind of plane. These ones suit her perfectly!

Good job man, always love seeing progress on this beast!

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Beaut XG wrote:
:o :shock: Now I'm jealous... I'll swap you... you can have my Hilux and I'll have your car :P :lol:

Nice try hahaha :lol:

TheELghia wrote:
Yes, those wheels are so much better mate!
The black ones were alright, but made your car look kind of plane. These ones suit her perfectly!

Good job man, always love seeing progress on this beast!

Cheers man, yep I agree, the old wheels were starting to look a bit bland given their very basic design. These ones look a lot classier, and seem to have closer to zero offset as they sit out noticeably further towards the guards than the CSA Gladiators did. Has a much tougher appearance now :)

Will keep these wheels on for a while until I find something I like better. Still looking for something with low offset and a couple inches of dish for a bit more of a flush look.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:03 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 98 EL Fairmont GHIA

New Zealand

cars looking good man, would be fun down the strip too, i know ive said this before but going to say it again haha, keep searching for a T5 conversion, you will never look back! that skyline would be wayyyy back if you were flat changing through some gears! will try get mine down a track one day would be good to compare and see if there really is a big difference or not.

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Oi.

Bounce.

Bump.

Did you use shims in your valve springs?! I know some of the stockcar guys swear by it...?

And when are the bonnet vents happening? I got some plastic XR6 vents you can have for cheap...

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey fiend, long time hahaha

Didn't use shims as such for the valve springs I used, they were more of a steel 'seat' that sits under the spring to stop it gouging into the alloy. The Crower springs I used worked out to be ~115lb seat pressure at standard installed height which was more than ample for my setup so didn't really need to shim for more pressure. You can 'shim' the springs for a bit more seated pressure (or to make sure every valve spring had the same pressure), but then it starts to compromise the point of coil bind if you shim too much.

Bonnet vents won't be happening anymore, couldn't really find anything that I liked enough to make use of. Ended up spacing the rear of the bonnet up 10mm and removing the rear bonnet seal, seemed to work nicely for me although vents would be much more effective.

Suppose I better update this thread later on, have been a bit slack lately :lol:

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Have you got a photo from inside the car showing the gap at the back of the bonnet?

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Gap at the back of the bonnet.

Science shows that........... Anyone got an hour to debate this one? :roll:

Oh my. Just in cased you missed the most awesome thread of its day....
post1002522.html?hilit=air%20pressures%20over%20ef%20bonnet#p1002522

(start at page one!)

Sort by  
 Page 105 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 110  Next