Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 6 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: My 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Another pic, i love pics :mrgreen:

As soon as i get back into the workforce again, more money will be put into the Monty 8-)

Have decided to leave the 3.45 gears out until i can afford to get a reco LSD centre put in to save with labour charges. Instead will save up for a new set of lifters, second hand rocker gear and cam to replace my badly worn ones items at present. The cam is worn so bad i think it has grinded itself a mild profile, torque really kicks in hard after 2800rpm all the way to redline now :lol:.

If anyone knows cam specs, how does this sound for a regrind? I already know its pretty mild (stage 2 regrind). Apparently its the cam best suited to my needs, more low end midrange punch and will suit the auto and stock ecu perfectly and will cost me around $150. I was completely sold on the wade 1636 but shipping etc will be a hassle. Im planning on getting a blower kit off the guys at Raptor in the future if things go to plan so im thinking this cam might be a wise choice.

Adv Dur: 242/257
Dur @ .050": 182/198"
Cam Lift: .247/.264"
Valve Lift: .470/.501"

or another cam place suggested this regrind at the cost of, wait for it... $350 :shock:

Valve Lift .475" .486"
Lobe Lift .250" .256"
Lobe Centers 110 114
Duration @.050" 200 204

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont II

VIC, Australia

Both the "EFFII/I's are looking awesome these days!

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

EFFII wrote:
Both the "EFFII/I's are looking awesome these days!

I'll second that :mrgreen:

Got a few little mods underway at the moment so i'll update when i get round to finishing them

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

KWIKXR wrote:

Have decided to leave the 3.45 gears out until i can afford to get a reco LSD centre put in to save with labour charges.

i would advise to get some 4.11's along with LSD... i have and its a MUST do mod for the auto falcons hehe. Its not wild at all, rpms on the highway is only 2300rpm, and 1st gear still hits 75kph.

also, the 2nd cam you posted looks to be a more aggressive cam, but i would go with a proven grind like from Wade or Crescent before any others.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Dude - I want a wade 1673. I have a cam sitting here to send them, NZ POST quoted me $40 to send it to Aussie. Don't know how much Aussie will cost to send me the wade back, but it still should work out to be affordable. I've been sitting on this cam so long, I reckon you could work out it's valve lift by measuring the imprint on my a*** cheek! I gotta get moving and do something with it. Ho hum, I don't think we'd save anything by combining shipping, coz to get it from Wellington to Dorkland or visa versa would be $$$ all over again.

I, too, am driving a warm cam geared EF.

By warm, I simply mean WORN. I get real nice mid range power out of the engine myself - was just explaining in a PM how this engine is so old that it probably has it's own profile (and not just on the cam - it's so long in the tooth it probably has thrown out the book of "allowable tolerances" for everything from big end through to cam chain...)

At under $150AU for a Wade 1673 (with swap) and let's guess the rip off Aussie post charges another $50, that's still under $300NZ for a known and proven design...

Remember to end quotes : wrote:

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

FordFairmont wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
Have decided to leave the 3.45 gears out until i can afford to get a reco LSD centre put in to save with labour charges.

i would advise to get some 4.11's along with LSD... i have and its a MUST do mod for the auto falcons hehe. Its not wild at all, rpms on the highway is only 2300rpm, and 1st gear still hits 75kph.

also, the 2nd cam you posted looks to be a more aggressive cam, but i would go with a proven grind like from Wade or Crescent before any others.

Lol funny you mentioned that, i had a thought today of forgetting the 3.45's and just sourcing a set of 3.9's or 4.11's which ever is available at the time. 4.11's would really get it kicking off the line and the quicker it gets to 2nd gear the better. The only thing im stuck on is fixing the speedo, i dont want it to be out and i know you can correctors and changing speedo cogs and all, but then i dont want shiftpoints to be out either so its f**k :lol:. Would be much easier with a manual but i like my Fairmont being auto hehe. Might just get the 3.45's put in for now without LSD, its not like im loosing traction in the dry when i plant it at the lights or anything so its not essential. Just have to lay off doing standstills till then :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comment regarding the cams too. Yeah i noticed the second one being a little more aggresive after comparing specs, having a little more duration etc. still dont have a clue about what it all means though lol. Both are from reputable companies although i would love to put a wade cam in. Not really chasing big kw's. My aim is around 140rwkw but my main aim is to get as much torque at out of it as possible :twisted:

Hows it feel now running the 4.11's in the diff? Big difference over the 3.7's? Has the LSD met your expectations with regards to increased grip?

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yes the 4.11's felt a little more "zippy" through the gears and was worthwhile. I would like to go shorter in ratios actually, cause it still feels tame, but then i will have tailshaft issues.

Believe me, do it once, do it properly.... dont fit the 3.45's and realize youve just wasted your money and have to do it all over again. The 3.45's you wont notice a single thing...... even with the 3.7's i had, it was an improvement over stock, but it was still not enough to get 1st gear moving.

LSD is defintely worthwhile at the same time if going 4.11's, without LSD, it would be impossible to get a decent launch.

Its up to you, but yeah, i definitely recommend the 4.11's behind the auto, you will be glad you did !!

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:

Dude - I want a wade 1673. I have a cam sitting here to send them, NZ POST quoted me $40 to send it to Aussie. Don't know how much Aussie will cost to send me the wade back, but it still should work out to be affordable. I've been sitting on this cam so long, I reckon you could work out it's valve lift by measuring the imprint on my a*** cheek! I gotta get moving and do something with it. Ho hum, I don't think we'd save anything by combining shipping, coz to get it from Wellington to Dorkland or visa versa would be $$$ all over again.

I, too, am driving a warm cam geared EF.

By warm, I simply mean WORN. I get real nice mid range power out of the engine myself - was just explaining in a PM how this engine is so old that it probably has it's own profile (and not just on the cam - it's so long in the tooth it probably has thrown out the book of "allowable tolerances" for everything from big end through to cam chain...)

At under $150AU for a Wade 1673 (with swap) and let's guess the rip off Aussie post charges another $50, that's still under $300NZ for a known and proven design...

Remember to end quotes : wrote:

Yeah tell me about worn cams. Have seen my fair share of worn cams lately from my car to a ef taxi at pick a part, which suffered 3 snapped rocker arms and a few smashed cam lobes and my cousins Evo 4 which is having a moment with lifters ticking and needing a well deserved oil change, which also has a bit of wear on both cams.

Still a fairly good price for the 1673 or any wade for that matter, as i havent heard or seen any complaints from their products and seem to give excellent results :wink:

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

FordFairmont wrote:
yes the 4.11's felt a little more "zippy" through the gears and was worthwhile. I would like to go shorter in ratios actually, cause it still feels tame, but then i will have tailshaft issues.

Believe me, do it once, do it properly.... dont fit the 3.45's and realize youve just wasted your money and have to do it all over again. The 3.45's you wont notice a single thing...... even with the 3.7's i had, it was an improvement over stock, but it was still not enough to get 1st gear moving.

LSD is defintely worthwhile at the same time if going 4.11's, without LSD, it would be impossible to get a decent launch.

Its up to you, but yeah, i definitely recommend the 4.11's behind the auto, you will be glad you did !!

If i keep the car NA ill go ahead and fit the 4.11's. I know ill need it to make up for the tall first gear. 75kms changing into second gear would be nice. Better than close to 100kms like what it does now :lol:

I was planning on fitting the Raptor blower kit though, thats one main reason for sticking by 3.45's. I know if i go with 3.9's or 4.11's i will struggle to maintain traction through the gears. I know a guy who had a Powerdyne on his EF XR6 and with 3.45's, exhaust and intake mods, stage 1 cam, grippy 235 width tyres and he couldnt get any traction in first or second lol had 200+rwkw.

A Raptor kit and 4.11's in the diff would be a beast though, no traction whatsoever and huge torque = tyre shreading fun :twisted:

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yeah i reckon 3.73's and boost would go well with the auto.

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Been a while since ive updated this :lol:

Havent had a lot of progress on the Fairmont lately, basically just a tidy up.

Have removed the pinstriping as well as the chrome tape for the moulds. Makes the car look very dark now :twisted:. Have had a bit of a play around in the engine bay over the last month or so just painting things and seeing what looks good. Had a go at modifying the spare throttlebody i had and seems to have given it a little more response in the midrange :)

As soon as i get some money together, off to the wreckers to get a second hand camshaft and rocker gear, rollers on the rockers have a bit of light scoring and the camhaft is starting to look the same. Might explain why the car feels stronger on some days and pulls like a freight train and then other days it runs like s**t :lol:. The cam will then be sent off to get reprofiled and then chucked in for now, with a full set of new lifters this time round, replacing the ones that are noisy is not the best option as i now know lol

Anyways heres a few pics:

Throttlebody has basically been smoothened out at the opening and polished a bit. Butterfly has been streamlined and polished also.

The old rocker cover has been stripped of the original grey paint and hit with something a bit brighter :P. Its anodized red over a metal flake groundcoat. Turns orangey-red and sparkles in the sun, looks like candy red in the shade :mrgreen:

My custom dials i created using Gimp (free program similar to photoshop lol), turned out to be an epic fail when i installed then and found that they werent gonna light up like i wanted them due to the cluster lighting. f**k, i was gutted. Anyone attempting to make white dials in photoshop or whatever, DONT, unless you have a way of making them light up properly. My blue LED's didnt do s**t for me this time :lol:. They are out of the car until i can think of a way to get them lit up the right way.

And heres a few of the car now, without the pinstiping and chrome, and with the prettied up engine bay 8-)

Money shot, darkness :twisted:

So tomorrow, the bonnet lining is getting ripped off and the underside of the bonnet sprayed properly wth touch up paint. The underside hasnt been painted properly from factory so have to fix that up, the bonnet lining is getting chucked, its rubbing on the intake and just being a nuisance. Throttlebody is going to be sprayed black, the red isnt looking the part on the T/B for me atm. Black will go with the black and polished ISC anyways. And then a bit more engine bay tidying up, spray plastics and stuff. More updates and pics next month :lol:

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

looking very clean dude, not a fan of the black headlight covers.... but damn that engine bay looks like you could eat off it !!

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont II

VIC, Australia

What are you, emo?
LOL jokes.
the car is looks really good and i love those plates 8-)
Engine bay looks awesome, mine is all blacked out, rocker cover, washer bottle, coolant box and heat shield :lol:

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers guys :)

Nah im no emo lol just wish my car was black. The black headlight covers are covering my faded/yellow/f**k lights. They have to stay until i can afford the $300 or so it'll cost for a new pair. They are also covering the cracked indicator lense i have on the drivers side too. Broke the mofo when trying to fix the water leak it had Thank god i got black covers :lol:. But yeah, they're not really my cup of tea now either, sorta puts the NF Fairlane grill out of place being so dark at the front now. Even the gill might come off in favour of the old EF Fairmont one. So many options :)

Still deciding on rims and side repeaters at this stage too. Dunno whether to get the repeaters tinted or go buy some clear ones off ebay. As for rims, i want something that Ford have made, dont wanna go aftermarket for some reason, trying to go for the sleeper kinda look, even though it isnt even a weapon yet :lol: . I was thinking the 15" chrome LTD rims like the ones on this LTD
Cant seem to get a set of those very rare 16" LTD ones in NZ. Even considered FTR's even though they are so common.

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

1. Mod some Fairlane clear repeaters..... ie: silicone the C*** on :P

2. Factory rims are 'ok' but you WILL get over them, and wanna get bigger rims eventually

3. 15 or 16" rims only look good on a really low car, like PIMP_LTD's EB for example. But yeah if you can get some 16" DL chrome rims would be sweet

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 110  Next