Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 7 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: My 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Yeah, the car will definately need to be lowered before thinking about different rims, the back mostly, it looks like a bloody drag car right now, low front, high rear., the front should be able to go half and inch lower, the back maybe 2 and a half :lol:. The rear spoiler needs to be thrown to make it appear a little lower than it is too. Fairlane repeaters i can get, cheapest ive found so far though, $100 posted for a pair, second hand :shock:. Either that or i can get the clear gli, xr style repeather lense of ebay for about $60ish i think. Those DL LTD 16" rims are the sex man, saw them on an EB or ED i think on here somewhere. One of the best factory looking wheels ive seen to be honest.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Looking good mate, I like what you have done in the engine bay. If you want ford mags, why not get some pre AU replica BA XR mags? I think they would look really nice.

Oh and a ghia hood ornament. :lol:

Josh

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XR-Lane wrote:
Looking good mate, I like what you have done in the engine bay. If you want ford mags, why not get some pre AU replica BA XR mags? I think they would look really nice.

Oh and a ghia hood ornament. :lol:

Josh

Thanks mate, yeah have definately thought about replica's. Had a big toss up between 18" BA XR8's, 17" EL GT's and 18" GTP's a late last year when i had the funds. Only problem is, no one in NZ has replicas or wants to get them, so looks like i'll either have to talk to some wheels places over there and see what i can sort out or get my trusty uncle in Brisbane to send me a set over. If i can get a set of LTD chrome rims for a good price and get my ride height where i want it to be ill give it a try

As for hood ornaments, ive been considering it, dont know whether to get the Ghia ornament like you have on the Fairlane, or get a BA Fairlane Ghia one. I think the wreckers might have a e-series Ghia one still, last time i checked they wanted $50 for it. I like the one that came out on e-series Ghias but i've also taken a liking to the BA Ghia one i must admit. Dunno what it is about it, but ive got a vision in my mind of a Boss Bonnet bulge, custom FBT replica grill and the BA Ghia ornament sitting on the front end 8-)

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont II

VIC, Australia

Get some FTR's or EF Fairmont Alloys...once again the car needs to be dumped...
Mine is on super lows and the smaller rim looks good. BA XR8 rims is what i was going to get but i didnt wanna spend money on tires on them because i know i will want to burn some rubber :lol:

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

You can fix your yellowed headlights matey, bit of elbow grease, different size wet-and-dry with a polish to finish off. There's a thread on here how to do it which I followed and Rachs lights came up pretty good, nice and clear....

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

EFF111 - Yeah it does need major dumpage :lol:. Its fairly low at the front right now, although it doesnt look like it, the rounded tyre walls make it look higher. Its on lows right now at the front with shortened shocks that have a lower mounted spring seat on the strut, so if i go supers in front it'll go too low, might just have to cut a bit of a coil out of the low springs to sort that out for now. The back is ridiculously high though, so a set of superlows will be going in the rear very soon.

racedirector - Thanks for the suggestion RD, have done the wet sanding and polishing a few times already, it just seems that after a few weeks they start looking dull again, didnt mind having to polish it every few weeks but ever since a lady reversed into my car last year and broke/snapped a couple of the headlight mounts aswell as my indicator, i think its about time i got new lights all round for the front end

Also ive heard that the aftermarket headlights dont seem to have the same issues as the original ford ones and they look nice and shiny on the inside :)

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
racedirector - Thanks for the suggestion RD, have done the wet sanding and polishing a few times already, it just seems that after a few weeks they start looking dull again, didnt mind having to polish it every few weeks but ever since a lady reversed into my car last year and broke/snapped a couple of the headlight mounts aswell as my indicator, i think its about time i got new lights all round for the front end

Also ive heard that the aftermarket headlights dont seem to have the same issues as the original ford ones and they look nice and shiny on the inside :)

Ah, OK - no probs. Wondered myself how long they last, guess we'll find out when the car is on the road :)

Those Auckland drivers sound like a bit of a worry these days, they were dangerous enough when I was living there over 18 years ago.....

New ones sound like the go though although the 300 price tag seems a bit steep, even for me where the bloody things originate from! :)

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

hey RD your next post will be your 1000th, congrats.

hey guys you could always buy the twinlights, they look sick

Josh

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

KWIKXR the bay is looking mint as.

Try the "Glassylite" product on ebay for the lights. Mine have stayed mint so far, it has been about 6 months.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Throttlebody has basically been smoothened out at the opening and polished a bit. Butterfly has been streamlined and polished also.

Money shot, darkness :twisted:

f**k she looks mint, all I can think of is dark tint, to make it even darker.
Was the throttle body hard to do, I've been wondering about similar with my spare one, asfter I get my rocker cover finished, yeah I don't the red myself but then again it is a hard one, to not got to tacky so many choices to go as well with alloy, polish, anno, powder, although, powders my preference being a cheap bugger. :lol:

by the way do you find the tinted lights, make the woeful ef/el lights any more woeful?

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

racedirector wrote:
Those Auckland drivers sound like a bit of a worry these days, they were dangerous enough when I was living there over 18 years ago.....

Mate, you can say that agin, ive never really been so scared to go out for a cruise :lol:. I swear i dont know how some of these f**k get their licenses. People cant drive for s**t over here, almost everyday you're avoiding accidents when your on the road. Sometimes i think i should of bought something i wouldnt get so attached to :lol:

Thanks for all the comments guys. Have thought about twinlights till i saw the price tag on those lol. Dont know how well they would go with a fairmont though. As for that Glassylite stuff, ebay is the only place i have found that stuff on, no one over here has even heard of it. I usually hit it with some Meguires Plastic polish and it comes up mint, but when the suns gets the headlights it fades again.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

OZBMX wrote:
f**k she looks mint, all I can think of is dark tint, to make it even darker.
Was the throttle body hard to do, I've been wondering about similar with my spare one, asfter I get my rocker cover finished, yeah I don't the red myself but then again it is a hard one, to not got to tacky so many choices to go as well with alloy, polish, anno, powder, although, powders my preference being a cheap bugger. :lol:

by the way do you find the tinted lights, make the woeful ef/el lights any more woeful?

Thanks OZBMX, yeah she's looking okay for now. Haha tints, yes cant forgot those. Its one of the mods i keep forgetting about and it seems to be one of the easiest ones, cause all i have to do is take my car in to get it done :lol:.

The throttlebody was pretty easy really, just need a bit of time to get it done right so its good to have a spare. I just dismantled it and wet sanded the opening into the bore and the butterfly. Grinded the edges of the butterfly to a 'knife edge' and then polished it up real good aswell as polishing inside the opening with some Autosol metal polish. Then gave the outside a light sand, and hit it with some undercoat then the anno red. The T/B will be getting repainted in black sometime next week i i have some spare time, im not sure if the red rocker cover will stay for long, starting to like the look of candy green :mrgreen:. Just have to paint a few other things in the engine bay, then wait to get a quote on how much to get the top of the BBM HPC'd. If its too much i'll polish it, ima cheap bugger too :lol:.

The tinted headlight covers do affect the headlights to a degree, i dont do much night driving but when i do i usually just pop the bonnet and slip them off, only takes a few seconds. Plus driving with black/tinted headlight covers at night time is a defect so dont want to take my chances even though i havent been pulled over yet suprisingly. For some reason though they make the lights appear whiter, but definately not near as bright with them off. The headlight covers do make the car look horn at night time though with the lights off when its under the light like at the gas station. Pulled up one night at the local servo to fill up and forgot about taking the covers off until i saw the front of the car throught the window when i was inside at the counter paying for a full tank. It got heaps of looks that night from people at the servo :D

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I do mine Fairmont lights every year. With the wet and dry all the way up to 2000 grit. Then the same polish as you. Mine last quite well really.

Have you looked at http://www.twinlight.com.au/twinlightphotos.htm ? Nearly a grand by the time you get them to little old Dorkland tho brother.... I want some too........!

And hey - That image from TradeMe (FalconFutura) is the guy I got the LSD diff from.......

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
The T/B will be getting repainted in black sometime next week I have some spare time, I'm not sure if the red rocker cover will stay for long, starting to like the look of candy green :mrgreen:. Just have to paint a few other things in the engine bay, then wait to get a quote on how much to get the top of the BBM HPC'd. If its too much I'll polish it, I'm a cheap bugger too :lol:.

Does the bbm get quite hot does it? damn, any Idea roughly, how hot?, also is there much risk with removing it, I started pulling the spare off, but noticed it was pretty heavily assembled, maybe I should've just got the manual out. :lol:

haha candy green be interesting, I guess not so out there being a green car atleast.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

So thats who you bought the LSD off Fiend. I was eyeing that up for a while when he first put the auction up but decided to pass on it, wasnt too sure on the condition being second hand, and it had the ratio i have now so it was a bit pointless to me seeing as it would just mean i would be wasting 2 tyres instead of one with the same gears :lol:. Anyways ive bought some stuff off that guy before, good bloke, sells his stuff at good prices i reckon.

And the BBM, it tends to get hot alright. Wasnt as bad when the car was stock but ever since the headers went on, the engine bay temps have risen quite a bit ive felt, and now if i touch the rocker cover or intake its quite hot to the touch. The The headers being chrome coated doesnt help either lol. Thats what they looked like when i got them, now the chrome has had heat treatment and turned purple-ish :lol:

So id like to get the BBM coated in HPC if it isnt too pricey should keep intake temps down a tad, getting my headers coated in HPC will cost me almost $300 :shock: but help keep the temps down a bit aswell as look the part. Doesnt take long to take the top of the BBM off, just take off the intake piping, take off the throttlebody first if you want to seperate them then undo the top of the BBM by undoing all the hex bolts (allen key) but if it hasnt been taken off for a long time or never been taken off the bolts are likely to be f**k tight as i found when doing the headgasket lol. Felt like the bolts were snapping as they were being undone. Havent removed the entire intake manifold though, just left it there when doing the head, but there will be a few vacuum hoses you'll have to get out of the way, the fuel rail etc and undo all the bolts holding it too the head and whatever mounts it has elsewhere then should come straight out. Bu using a manual would definately come in handy, has saved me a few times when trying to attempt doing something before without knowing what i was doing lol.

Candy green is a pretty hot colour actually, got the idea from Tocchi's EF XR6T, he had the candy green rocker cover and turbo housing done and it looked mint against dark green. Still decidng on all that though, the red is doing quite nicely for me :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 110  Next