Kyle's ED GLi - ED4LTR 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Kyle's ED GLi - ED4LTR
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia, BA XR8 Ute

VIC, Australia

Howdy Everyone, been a member on here for a lil while so I thought it may be about time I put in a showroom thread on my ED

For starters here are the basics:

Car: Ford
Model: ED Falcon GLi
Colour: Polynesian Green
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Motor: AU Series 2 XR6

Here is the pic from the carsguide.com.au ad for my car, and what it looked like before i started modding it.

And a couple of interior and engine bay pics when it was stock.

Car slowly got modded in 2008 and also received ED Fairmont Ghia Leather seats,until around September, my mechanic had gotten hold of an ED Fairmont and my car got a lot of the electrical bits from that car installed into mine, one of them being Digital climate control, electric windows, cruise control and a set of EF2 Fairmont Ghia doortrims and chrome handles which he had from another car he wrecked out. The car also received thermofans earlier in the year, ED XR6 3.45 LSD which I later found out was sort of DOA (Faulty carrier bearings) and an EL Intake system with EL Engine Computer.

This was the end result:

The last picture was taken around December when a new headgasket had been fitted along with an ED Tickford head.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Car didn't really receive many mods after this besides the Gas Research dual fuel and a Wade 977b camshaft, unfortunately the car was running poor and found that it was loosing oil somewhere, this made me think it was the perfect time to put in a new motor and do an NL Fairlane conversion that I was thinking of doing at some stage, car came off the road on the 19 March, 2009 at that stage, though during it's time off the road it scored a set of 17" AMG Quakes..

Thanks to a mate of mine, he told me a great place to get cheap AU motors from and picked up this thing for $500, an AU2 Tickford motor with only 90,000 on the clock, full with accessories.

On the forklift at the wreckers:
And the rest:

Getting all the old dash out was a nightmare because of the weight of it( i shouldn't have done it alone :P) and I basically ripped out all the old looms throughout the car and had to drill out the old floorsections in order to fit the new front seats and center console. After mounting all the brackets in for the dash I ended up with this for a trial fit.
And the trial fit:

Got all of the dash conversion thanks to eboost and the cluster thanks to Krytox
----------------------------------------------------------
Car got all of the last bits fitted with the help of my mates and the end result was this:
And thanks to Krytox I was able to make the cluster show the matching KM's to my car :)
------------------------------------------------------------

The Luxo Cruiser - 07 BF Fairlane
Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

The New daily/Toy - 2004 BA XR8 Ute
Mercury Silver, 5 Speed Manual, a factory Blownup Boss 260 :P

Last edited by KyleBardell on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Kyle's ED GLi - ED4LTR
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:53 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Part 2:
After my incident with my 17s I went out and bought my mates old 18" RJR Graphics, definently gave the car a whole new look.

After getting hold of a standard throttle body and Tickford Fuel regulator off my mate, I thought it was time to get off my a** and put the car back on straight petrol the proper way. Some of the major issues I was having by leaving the gas throttle body on was that I was creating a lot of restriction on petrol, and at the same time was making my car ping its head off on BP Ultimate :S. After putting it all back to standard and advancing the timing a touch, the throttle was extremely sensetive and didn't ping anymore, plus it went heaps better :D.

Little later I put in a temporary diff (3.27 LSD) until I got my new one from interstate, then after doing all of that I decided it was time that I finally take it to calder and see what it runs stock, I was pretty happy with a 15.4 pass.

For a few months I was pretty quiet with mods, trying to decide what I should do next and I only recently just started getting back at it.

First thing I did was install my new LSD that i bought off ashcook, it is an EL XR6 3.45 LSD with about 140,000kms on it, and came with an aluminum tailshaft which was an added bonus. The benefit with this diff was that I can now fit up my center mounted handbrake to go with the rest of the dash conversion, and get a slightly better ratio :). And well of course the car had a bit more punch again with the better ratio, and on a side note found it was very tight ;).

Here is a run I did 0-100km/h with it, sorry if the video quality is a bit poor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXuz-EU67Q0.

Now I thought it was time to do a few more cosmetic touches, first were the doortrims, I sold my EF ones and bought EL ones, the difference between them is that the EL is a lighter grey which matches up to he dash much nicer. It's a bit wanky I know but i'm a perfectionist :P. An added bonus being that I now have courtesy lights in the doors :D

Before:
After:
-----------------------------------
Happy with the end result, just in the process of installing my EL brakes, ill be sure to post pics soon :)

Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Nice ED mate!! I think the later e-series dashes look mint in early e-series . . . What plans do you have for the future?

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

very nice, i'll be following along

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

When is the Wheezer going in Kyle?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the comments fellas :D

i6_demon wrote:
Nice ED mate!! I think the later e-series dashes look mint in early e-series . . . What plans do you have for the future?

At this stage the plans are

Tremec T56 6 Speed Gearbox
Possibly different wheels again, im getting bored with my 18s already
Full car respray in Velvet Mica
BA XR Seats with a full interior retrim
3.7 LSD

And in the build a 5 litre which I will be stroking and building for a touch of boost, but not too much I want safe boost.

67RCE wrote:

Probably early/mid 2012 Brett, mainly because I want to rebuild it and get it all worked before going in. Then at least ill be only a few months away from being on my opens

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:11 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

KyleBardell wrote:

i6_demon wrote:

3.7 LSD

And in the build a 5 litre which I will be stroking and building for a touch of boost, but not too much I want safe boost.

67RCE wrote:

Probably early/mid 2012 Brett, mainly because I want to rebuild it and get it all worked before going in. Then at least ill be only a few months away from being on my opens

Nice one :D Will be looking forward to seeing these things come along in the future - will be watching your build . . . good luck bud 8-)

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
KyleBardell wrote:

i6_demon wrote:

3.7 LSD

67RCE wrote:

Nice one :D Will be looking forward to seeing these things come along in the future - will be watching your build . . . good luck bud 8-)

Cheers
Grant

Cheers mate :), did the later dash thanks to all of the info that BenJ and RaceDirector had on their cars. Probably wouldnt have been do able without it.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Only too happy to help!!!!

Good to see you finally put up a Build Thread.

The ED is looking great.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Very nice car there, can't wait to see more goodness :D

Post subject: Kyle's ED GLi - ED4LTR
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:23 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks Ben and Papa Smurf, try to give things a go :D, still gotta adjust the drivers side bracket for the dash, just doesnt quite line up with the doortrim properly for my liking. Today I had a bit more of a play with my brakes with help of 89 S Pack, Got all the brake lines hooked up minus the rears. Because of the EL ABS loom not being quite long enough I had to buy a bit of ABS loom and plug at the wreckers to extend it, I gotta finish mounting the pump properly but that will be all in due time.

I hooked up the rear sensors which were already on the diff when I got it, and I plugged in the fronts just to test and close the open circuit. After a code clear and letting the engine run for 5 minutes, the ABS code came up as Code 12 which means all systems are OK, so at least I know the electricals and loom arent faulty. I'll be sure to post some pics up tomorrow when I have fitted up the rear lines.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Time that I updated this thread, I got all my brakes and EL ABS conversion complete, swapped the K Frame and now have the EL K Frame with a V8 Swaybar all bolted up thanks to 89 S Pack. Thought it was also time that I got some enginework happening and installed a set of Lukey extractors, and a Wade 1645au camshaft. I got the car tuned and ran 141rwkw with 390nm of torque which I was quite happy with, car got tuned at Bullet Performance Racing in Geelong.

I'm super stoaked with the tune, smooth power curve all round and staggering fuel economy which I think is about even with the fairlane. I got another few nice treats for the car which I'll post pics up of soon.

Here is the dynosheet:
Bit small but is the biggest one I can find at work

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:07 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: Ford Ed

SA, Australia

Im in middle of doing same interior stuff as you, Did you use the EL Engine loom? If so did you put the wires into the Guard like the EL's came out with??? How hard was it??

Cheers

Adelaide E Series

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:03 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

B0XCAR wrote:
Im in middle of doing same interior stuff as you, Did you use the EL Engine loom? If so did you put the wires into the Guard like the EL's came out with??? How hard was it??

Cheers

I used the full loom, and yeh I did do the loom through the guard like factory, will require a hole saw because a couple of holes will need to be made. Check out RaceDirector's thread that will tell you what you need to know in that regard, thats how I found out :)

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:12 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: Ford Ed

SA, Australia

Cheers dude!
Oh btw Nice car :)
Can't wait for mine to be done Haha...

Adelaide E Series

Sort by