Fordmods Logo

Luke's EB XR6 + 07 BFII XR6T 

Page 17 of 23 [ 334 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next

Post subject: Re: Luke's EB XR6
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't waste money on the auto if it's going in the bin.

Hell no!

Hopefully it lasts to the end of the year...

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So, I fixed the running rich issue, ended up being a split in the vacuum hose that runs from the map sensor to the throttle body :x

The temporary fix had been to cut the split piece shortening the hose and cable tying the map sensor down a bit lower, I'll source some new hose tomorrow!

Anyway my cats F**k :evil:
The exhaust guys reckon its due to it running too rich and creating excess heat in the cat causing the insides to come away from the body and rattle.

A few of the cats from the batch and seller have F**k up now so I'll have to get around to replacing that too...

Besides the cat issue, its running good now, just needs a wheel alignment :)

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

lukeee wrote:

I still suspect something isn't right as it isn't engine braking like it used to when decelerating and putting the shifter into 3rd/2nd... :/

I have a manual conversion waiting to go in so admittedly I'm not too fussed 8-)

My auto lost engine braking about 3 months ago, at first only in 1st and 2nd, then it started to do weird s**t like you'd accelerate to overtake at 70 or above and it would rev to about 5000 then slam into second. Nearly killed me a couple times in the rain.
While looking for a replacement on ebay I found a complete EA 5 speed driveline dirt cheap.

What I'm getting at is, rip the auto out and put that 5 speed in. You will be blown away by how much more enjoyable driving your car is.
I did the complete conversion by myself on stands in the garage in 1 day, including wiring mods, making firewall plate, and pedal box pin and strengthening plate.
Read the guide in the tech docs. Great info and pics.
A sweet looking ride like yours deserves a manual. This

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

roughredXR6 wrote:
lukeee wrote:

I still suspect something isn't right as it isn't engine braking like it used to when decelerating and putting the shifter into 3rd/2nd... :/

I have a manual conversion waiting to go in so admittedly I'm not too fussed 8-)

My auto lost engine braking about 3 months ago, at first only in 1st and 2nd, then it started to do weird s**t like you'd accelerate to overtake at 70 or above and it would rev to about 5000 then slam into second. Nearly killed me a couple times in the rain.
While looking for a replacement on ebay I found a complete EA 5 speed driveline dirt cheap.

What I'm getting at is, rip the auto out and put that 5 speed in. You will be blown away by how much more enjoyable driving your car is.
I did the complete conversion by myself on stands in the garage in 1 day, including wiring mods, making firewall plate, and pedal box pin and strengthening plate.
Read the guide in the tech docs. Great info and pics.
A sweet looking ride like yours deserves a manual. This

Yeah I know what you mean, having been in a few manual falcons and just reading about how enjoyable they are makes me want to put it in even more...

Autos unfortunately just don't do it for me anymore lol + they're a bit unpredictable in situations which which you've described...

The date I have set in my head is December - January 2014 when I have a bit of time off over Christmas, I still need a few more things to complete the conversion too so a bit of saving can't hurt either!

Oh and yep it should only take a day with the help I've been offered by people who know what they're doing :P
So no dramas there!

Thanks for the kind words mate!

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

Luke I love this car! There was a very nice black pearl EB XR6 for sale around here. Fully tickford optioned, 5spd, with 158k on the clock .. Im about 4hrs west of sydney, and its very rare to find modded falcons where I am. I am sick of all the bloody commodores getting around, lapping the street every night with about ssssssl on the back, 10inch exhaust etc etc.
The guy wanted $2000 for this XR6 (he just wanted to get it out of the way) and so wish I had got it...but due to parents restrictions...............!!! :| :cry: :(

It hadn't been driven for a while...Im not to sure it had many mods apart from an ED XR6 headlight grill, headers and an exhaust. It had only been owned by a few grandpa's.

Anyway,back to your car, with the grey trim that runs around the sides, front and back, is there anyway that could be painted black (to match the car colour)? I reckon it would like quite neat. IMO the grey taints the look. What do you think?

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

drewh wrote:
Luke I love this car! There was a very nice black pearl EB XR6 for sale around here. Fully tickford optioned, 5spd, with 158k on the clock .. Im about 4hrs west of sydney, and its very rare to find modded falcons where I am. I am sick of all the bloody commodores getting around, lapping the street every night with about ssssssl on the back, 10inch exhaust etc etc.
The guy wanted $2000 for this XR6 (he just wanted to get it out of the way) and so wish I had got it...but due to parents restrictions...............!!! :| :cry: :(

It hadn't been driven for a while...Im not to sure it had many mods apart from an ED XR6 headlight grill, headers and an exhaust. It had only been owned by a few grandpa's.

Anyway,back to your car, with the grey trim that runs around the sides, front and back, is there anyway that could be painted black (to match the car colour)? I reckon it would like quite neat. IMO the grey taints the look. What do you think?

Hey mate sorry for the delay, I only just read this now!

Cheers mate :P

Yeah you should've snapped it up, especially at that price!
Those kms are extremely low, mines got over 400K now :shock:
They still aren't worth a whole heap of money, if I found another black one cheap and had the cash I'd probably buy it haha!

Haha tell me about it, thats why I love it, where I live everyone has their mums and dads buy them a brand new car...
It's good to drive something that stands out a bit to enthusiasts, to other people/police its just another falcon which is a good thing 8-)

Yes it can look good, however I'm a big fan of the 90s styling (grey moulding & red stripe) and it is an XR so I plan on leaving it the way it is visually :)

Obviously with the exception of wheels, I like the "sleeper" or "stock" look (not that its fast haha) so visually besides a tidy up, it will always look as it is while in my possession.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thought I should update this thread...

Anyway over the last month its done a LOT of mixed driving in the form of city driving (M4 traffic), highway driving (trip to Newcastle) and a lot of mixed driving (to and from Penrith/Richmond for uni) and besides a bit of a rough idle (think it needs new plugs from when it was running rich) its driving superb!
Besides the slushbox auto I can't fault it!

I've now racked up 5000km on this new engine and its started to loosen up a bit resulting in a bit more noticeable torque and seems to be revving out properly past 3K RPM now :?

Its managing 12-13L/100km too with both spirited and normal driving which I'm quite pleased with...

Best of all, I haven't really had to spend any money on it for about a month which is always a good achievement for any e-series owner lol :P

Next on the agenda is to tidy the outside up a bit without going crazy, although the roof and bonnet badly need a respray now...

I'd love to throw it on a dyno soon and see what its making and get the timing played with a bit etc but that can wait a bit longer!

Anyway hopefully something interesting in the form of pictures will be included in the next update :)

Cheers,
Luke

Post subject: Re: Luke's EB XR6 - Edziephoto Photoshoot Piccies
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Long time no update!

Nothing has really happened haha...

Installed some HIDs:

Made a big difference!
The stupid seller sent me a dodgy one though but now I have two 4300K globes, for the measly sum of $28 :D
They'll probably break soon being so cheap lol...

Painted the side moulds:

Still need to do the rear bumper but they turned out "okay"

And recently had some mint photos taken by Edziphotos with a few other members on the Saturday just gone:

Damn it needs to come down a bit closer to the ground :shock:

And my fave:

Would definitely recommend Edziephotos (Wayne) to everybody, took a lot of time and put in a lot of detail so thanks again for making the EB look better then it really does :P

Mechanical woes:
Left rear brake line has developed a leak where it goes into the diff and the master cylinder has developed a leak where it attaches to the brake booster (AGAIN) but that is still under warranty so have to get that sorted!

With the brake line can that be tightened or is there a seal of some sort that has probably worn out?
I didn't really look into it but I'll read a bit more and try and sort that out myself.

Next thing is to get two new front tyres for it as the ones on it aren't the best and wet weather driving is quite dangerous...
Looking at getting some Federal 595 EVOs or just some Federal SS595s as they seem like quite a good tyre for the money, depends how heavy my pockets feel at the time :D

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Do you mean the flexible line from caliper to hard line? AFAIK, Brake lines have a flare fitting and seal on the taper. Tightening may help.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong, though.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1997 XJ Jeep Cherokee

NSW, Australia

lukeee wrote:
And recently had some mint photos taken by Edziphotos with a few other members on the Saturday just gone:

Would definitely recommend Edziephotos (Wayne) to everybody, took a lot of time and put in a lot of detail so thanks again for making the EB look better then it really does :P

More than welcome mate. Glad you are happy with the shots. :)

I've already been approached by some people for another shoot! Can't believe this is taking off!

Racing is life. Everything in between is just waiting..........so have some fun while you are waiting!!

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
Do you mean the flexible line from caliper to hard line? AFAIK, Brake lines have a flare fitting and seal on the taper. Tightening may help.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong, though.

I'll have a better look tomorrow, but I think its the hard line thats attached to the diff (between diff centre and caliper).

I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow!

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Edzie wrote:
lukeee wrote:

More than welcome mate. Glad you are happy with the shots. :)

I've already been approached by some people for another shoot! Can't believe this is taking off!

If spots don't fill for the next one (which I'm sure they will) I'll get some shots of my parents AU :)

Uploading some pictures to facebook now, thanks again!

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have federal ss on my ED and for the price I'm quite happy with them.
I got 235/45/17's for 120ea fitted and balanced.
In the wet they are okay, not great but not bad.
In the dry, well it depends on how you drive. Eg. On the track you won't set the fastest lap times, but you will pull the most spectacular power slides. They also smoke good.
Grip is great for a cheaper tyre, and even when pushed to their limit they are still very predictable.
They also have plenty of overhang on the side walls to protect your shiny rims from gutter rash, and they look good.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

roughredXR6 wrote:
I have federal ss on my ED and for the price I'm quite happy with them.
I got 235/45/17's for 120ea fitted and balanced.
In the wet they are okay, not great but not bad.
In the dry, well it depends on how you drive. Eg. On the track you won't set the fastest lap times, but you will pull the most spectacular power slides. They also smoke good.
Grip is great for a cheaper tyre, and even when pushed to their limit they are still very predictable.
They also have plenty of overhang on the side walls to protect your shiny rims from gutter rash, and they look good.

Thanks for that mate!

Looking to get some hopefully next pay day :D

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not a big update, but more parts towards the manual conversion have been bought!

Went to pick n Payless because I saw there was a 5 speed eb wagon in the yard.

Didn't expect it to still be there, but it was so I scored the centre console insert, gear boot rubber and gear knob for a measley $13 :P

It still has all it's tabs intact too and considering they go for $50+ in reasonable condition on eBay I was quite over the moon with my score!

I do plan on using an EB GT boot and BA gear knob but this will get me up and running!

All I need now is a new clutch, pressure plate, mal wood pedal pin and to get the flywheel machined and it's good to go :)

Also found an EB that still had a battery tray so for $7 I grabbed that too and cleaned it up, will fit it up over the weekend.

The auto is really struggling atm :/

That's all for now!

Sort by  
 Page 17 of 23  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next