Fordmods Logo

Luke's EB XR6 + 07 BFII XR6T 

Page 6 of 23 [ 334 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next

Post subject: Re: Luke's EB XR6
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

REW93N wrote:
What do you mean horrible?
I'm sure you had a crowd of Commonwhore drivers mirin' your super sick sport 'zorst brah.
Haha

Hahaha!
I'm ashamed to say it was louder then most jap cars with cannons :lol:
All fixed now

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Had a good look at the exhaust this arvo and both bolts fell off so it was straight out the headers through the cat :lol:
Also the hanger that's attached to somewhere underneath the gearbox is in pretty poor condition and very loose so I'm guessing that would have something to do with the bolts falling out?
Anyway went to bunnings and bought some locktite and 2 nuts & bolts and it's fixed for the moment...
Need to try and source a gasket from somewhere tomorrow then i'll locktite all the bolts and hopefully fix the exhaust for the moment!
Have also decided the car needs a 4 or 5 inch dump tip :lol:
Might start looking around...

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Hmm... Maybe I should check the bolts on my exhaust manifold lol.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:

yess, well i found mine were loose a week after i fitted the headers even tho i tighteneed them up, sometimes this happens with things, tighten them up and they come loose once or twice, havent had a problem since i retightened them altho im going to replace my gasget on them soon, dont think its sealing 100%

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
evxr6 wrote:

yess, well i found mine were loose a week after i fitted the headers even tho i tighteneed them up, sometimes this happens with things, tighten them up and they come loose once or twice, havent had a problem since i retightened them altho im going to replace my gasget on them soon, dont think its sealing 100%

I didn't check the header bolts...
Might have to do that too!
Usually with mine one of the bolts comes loose and I'm able to hear it and tighten it but this time they just both fell out lol :roll:

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

the best one i had was a spark plug come loose, could hear this ticking sound/ 1 cylinder wasnt firing properly, it was maybe only quarter of a turn in, and was rocking backwards and forwards, tightened it up and it cam loose again!! changed my spark plugs the next time and never had the problem again, thats the engine thats in my el now and havent had a problem with it lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Kind've an update, more troubleshooting something :roll:
Anyway drove car to work yesterday, drove home (bout 50km round trip) gave it a wash when I got home and took it for a drive around the block to rinse off. Car was all good.
Anyway wake up this morning and notice a puddle of coolant under the car :?
It's coming more so from the drivers side of the radiator and there are no evident hoses that're leaking (sussed it out numerous times with dad)
I topped it up with coolant and drove to the mechanics to have a look and his solution was rusted end tanks OR the bottom of the radiators rusted out?

NOW FOR THE STRANGE PART.

Got home and parked it on the street (which is on a significant incline) for about 1-2 hours and it didn't leak...
Thought this was weird so I moved it a bit further down the road as I was mowing the lawn and it sat there for another hour +
Checked it again and a small puddle of coolant was under the car :?
Anyway it's sitting in the garage atm which is flat and has been for 3 hours or so and again has not leaked...

It's got Dad and I stumped as to what it could possibly be as if it was rusted through surely it would start as a minor leak then gradually get bigger over time?
Just after opinions as to what it could be...

Bloody Temperamental cars :twisted:

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its either corosion on the lower corner of the radiator or its leaking from the rubber seal thats in between the plastic tank and the radiator, sometimes it will leak and stay on the radiator support and wont run out untill the car is parked on a different angle..

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
its either corosion on the lower corner of the radiator or its leaking from the rubber seal thats in between the plastic tank and the radiator, sometimes it will leak and stay on the radiator support and wont run out untill the car is parked on a different angle..

Cheers for that Troy!
Will be replacing it Tuesday along with getting the aircon fixed :D (finally!)

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Update time..

Aircon didn't end up getting fixed, replaced all the associated piping (one was leaking leading to the tx valve or something?), compressor O-rings and a regas to which it worked for one day then it's obviously leaked out again :cry:
So looks to be the evaporator or whatever it is under the dash that's the culprit. Won't be getting it fixed until I either get a pay rise (lol) or possibly before summer depending on how much global warming occurs between now and next summer...
I don't think I even had a need to use it this summer :P

Radiator didn't get replaced either as I used some "stop leak" s**t that actually stopped the leak :S
Mechanic did a pressure test and further tightened the tube I suspected to be loose and leaking and so far so good!
Not a fan of this stop leak being in it atm though as it's clear and I can't tell whether it has coolant in the tank or not; so may flush it tomorrow if i'm feeling somewhat enthusiastic.

During the week I changed the spark plugs and o2 sensor purely for maintenance and they seem to have made the throttle a bit more responsive!
(placebo effect :wink: )
It's getting better fuel economy too :lol: (fuel economy's the hype nowadayz)

Today was so boring with everything being closed and not working so I decided to pull the windscreen wipers and wiper cowling off for a repaint. Got some pretty ordinary iPhone pics unfortunately as the family camera was dead :(
Anyway, this is what I was dealing with:

newspaper means s**t's getting serious :lol:

As you can see they weren't overly bad to start with, they just bugged me seeing little bits of paint flaking off!

I sanded the wiper arms back to almost bare metal as best as I could be assed to do, and lightly sanded the cowling. The cowling had a few rough patches so wanted them smooth!

Didn't get any pics of them sanded :(

Underneath the cowling looked like this:

Again, not overly bad but it definitely needed a clean up!
No pics of it cleaned up either due to running out of daylight :x
Basically just scrubbed it with a damp rag then sprayed it all with wd-40 (because it makes s**t look shiny) and wiped it down.
Thankfully there's little to no rust under there!

Anyway here's the finished products:

Ended up spraying about 4 coats of flat black to achieve this finish. Would have much preferred to use gloss black but had to make do with what I had at home!

And on the car:
Ignore faded bonnet :oops:

I'm quite happy with the outcome, although thinking about respraying the cowling a dark grey which is what they originally were?
Anyway it's not perfect but definitely looks a lot neater then it did so will see how long this paint holds up...
Unfortunately I scratched the cowling a bit getting it on but that can be touched up :!:
Thinking about spraying the wiper jets tomorrow too but will see how I feel...

And one last pic for good measure showing off epIc park lights 8-)
Can't wait to get her all fixed up paint and panel wise!

Will hopefully update again soon :)
Cheers, Luke

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You can glue some flyscreen to underside of the grille areas - will take you a while due to how they're designed - well worth it IMO, keeps most rubbish out. Be sparing with the glue though - it can run and show up on the upper side.
You do need to spray a good primer (maybe etch primer) on the wiper arms on those alloy pivot areas - otherwise they'll corrode again and lift the paint.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
You can glue some flyscreen to underside of the grille areas - will take you a while due to how they're designed - well worth it IMO, keeps most rubbish out. Be sparing with the glue though - it can run and show up on the upper side.
You do need to spray a good primer (maybe etch primer) on the wiper arms on those alloy pivot areas - otherwise they'll corrode again and lift the paint.

Fly screens actually a great idea, didn't even think of that!
Although I don't think i'll worry as it wasn't too bad under there!
Yeah I was rushing it and could only use whatever I had at home as everything was closed today so I will probably redo them before AFD!
Thanks for the advice!
Cheers, Luke

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Another small mod, went to pick n paymore this morning and picked up an EA/EB1 lower intake tube.
The size differences are quite noticeable:

I'm about to go fit it now but it had a lot of oil inside of it that i've managed to get most of it out...
I sprayed it up with wd-40 then basically cleaned it up so hopefully it will be right!
Got it for $10 so It's worth a try...

Also got this:

It's the loom for the trip computer which the guy gave to me for nothing!
I had to borrow someones pliers and I may've cut the wiring too short but I'll try and get somebody to help me fit that up soon as I'm quite bad at soldering :lol:

Been out to lunch and it's too windy to spray the wiper jets now so they'll have to wait for another day!

Cheers, Luke

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Nice work on the painting!

All the little jobs add to the overall effect.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Those wiper arms & cowl cover come up nice, good job man! As BenJ said, every bit of detail counts, and they are items I need to tend to on my Ghia one day to tidy it up a bit.

Keep at it man!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 23  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next