Matts EB Fairmont Ghia and "91"XF ute 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Matts EB Fairmont Ghia and some xf ute updates
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Mitsubishi TE Magna

VIC, Australia

an update of sorts..
the eb shat the t5 last week. it has been getting noisy and i'd been trying to limp it along till i could fix it. wasnt fast enough doing so
was noisy as sin in lilydale. drove it home the 20ish k drive and it was progressively getting louder
it was loud enough my housemate heard it and said you arent driving that to work tomorrow..
borrowed a mates car so i could get about till the xf could be sorted

it isnt a throwout bearing noise. confirmed front support bearing
depress clutch it disapears. which if it was throwout it would get louder
1st and 2nd were whiney and had issues selecting 2nd at times.. reverse had always popped out too so who knows, could of been munted years back..
i bought another ea t5 a few weeks ago and havent had the time to play swaps, or no money to buy car ramps of my own to do it
also i was a little loathed to have both cars off the road at the same time as the xf was still in bits doing the manual conversion which gave me a few issues.

climbed under the eb after parking it on the gutter to give me room to get under. it appears it has taken the clutch out with it this time too as i have oil coming from the bellhousing. was slipping and its a few years old so i thought nothing about the slipping\shuddery clutch really

so i got the xf finished up. took it for a spin. alot better to drive compared to auto and doesnt rev so hard on the highway anymore. 3.23 lsd final ratio doesnt exactly help in that regard.
so im driving the xf about till i either find some motivation to fix the eb or tart the thing up and sell it on after ive done a box swap as its probably worth nothing in the condition its in now if it cant be trusted to be driven far

have no luck with it.. only reason why i forgive it is... its a nice cruiser for long drives and has some power to overtake
could just be im the only owner thats given a hoot about it and fixed all the gremlins. would of been nice to not have as many gremlins to rectify though

worse case scenario.. if i lose interest.
prolly get another ea s-pack as i miss mine and part the eb and fit all the goodies from the eb to the ea

Post subject: Re: Matts EB Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

an update. on both cars..
i'll start with the eb. did the box swap but not without problems.. (borrowed dads car ramps)
got the old munted ea t5 out and had a look in the clutch area, dry in there. so the oil leak is coming from elsewhere or is a old one? will wash the underside to confirm or deny i suppose.

new t5 was swapping the speedo over etc as im still using a 3.23 diff. and thought wheres the speedo gear on the output?
damn thing had snapped its retainer clip. previous owner mentioned the speedo wasnt working but i thought it was a speedo transducer though. oh well i had the stuffed el t5 here to take parts on to fix that problem luckily. and its a good thing i know how to get the extension housing off too. :twisted:
got it all done in about 5 hours, with the crap weather aswell.
i dont think thats too bad considering the car was hot. and i pulled 2 boxes apart and put them back together.

took it for a drive. this ea t5 is quiet, aint that hard compared to the knocker before
holds reverse on its own uphill without jumping out of gear either.
ive been in the twistys in it.. lots of fun. as ive replaced most of the bushes (upper diff trailing arms left) it was holding very flat in the corners.
now i want to do the remaining bushes and put decent quality tyres on the car and enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: Matts EB Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

now the xf..
where do i start? driving to work. the ute is running odd. (isnt unusual as its basically straight lpg)
go to gear down for a red that just turned green. lose the clutch and is followed by a friggen loud banging noise.
the exeedy had just lunched itself in peakhour.. massive cloud of smoke came pouring out from under the xf and i got it over to the side of the road as i was in the far right lane
ute stalled out just as i got over to the far left. when it was running it was shaking the ute that violently the whole ute was shaking.
got it off the road by pushing it into the carpark i was next to. by that stage i was late for work and wasnt game to start it again.
so i got my housemate to pick me up and i left the xf where it was parked off the clearway.
went back after work to find i now have a parking ticket.. :evil: oh well suppose i better pay that next week.. had a look under the xf to figure out what had happened. i ended up having to get it towed home the 2 suburbs i was from it.

easter long weekend i dropped the box out after getting some gloves and facemask as i dont know how old the clutch was. (2nd hand unit i fitted)
got it all out to find it had torn 2 of the 3 bolts out of the flywheel and made a nice mess.

so the plans with it for now are. get the new flywheel i sourced machined and buy a new clutch.. going a 6 bolt this time too
the old clutch was used as it had plenty of life it it visually. im still stumped why it did fail like it did but crying over it wont fix it so im just going to make sure it doesnt happen twice!

eta on having it back on the road is in 2 weeks and under i hope as most places would be open from tomorrow to organise quotes on machining the flywheel.
i've decided which clutch im going for. a valeo heavy duty as i have one in the eb and im happy with it still. had it since 08 with no major issues that the clutch was at fault.
decided against the exeedy.
simply didnt like how light it was, and mine and others ive driven simply havent instilled enough of a inclination to spend that extra $$$ on another if im happy with dealing with a heavy clutch in melbourne traffic
but it comes down to personal preference i suppose

ok now ive bored everyone with my essay.. some pics of the munted bits in the xf!

first time the xf has been on a tow truck in the 3 years ive owned it

sad thing is.. i only did about 400k's with that clutch before it failed too.
had a intermittent shudder. but i was told and thought it was due to being a secondhand clutch on a flywheel that hadnt been machined. first time that clutch had been on that flywheel though..
i learnt my lesson there.. dont be such a tight a*** on that sort of thing again!
(yes i skimped out as i needed it on the road sooner than i had the funds for a new clutch and flywheel machine)

Post subject: Re: Matts EB Fairmont Ghia and "91"XF ute
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

with putting the AU motor in the EB. what A/C compressor and bracket did you use?

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
with putting the AU motor in the EB. what A/C compressor and bracket did you use?

el compressor. eb brackets to drop it down to clear the log manifold

oh just to screw with you also.. using a au tensioner aswell.
as ef-au are easier to find than what xh ones are

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i was told the EB bracket didn't bolt to the AU block. the guy who told me does talk s**t though

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:24 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
i was told the EB bracket didn't bolt to the AU block. the guy who told me does talk s**t though

bolts straight on..
only issue is a spacer has to be made to go behind the upper top mount where the compressor bolt goes through.
im yet to get about to doing it myself though

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well i won't be running A/C anyway so if i get the EL no A/C idler bracket it should clear in theory

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:55 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
well i won't be running A/C anyway so if i get the EL no A/C idler bracket it should clear in theory

ah ok. sounds like you have it nutted out

you running bbm or log manifold though?
if your running log you would either have to use the mpfi a\c compressor bracket to drop it a little or make it simple by getting a xh one?

bbm is easy. no spacers apart from what is required from factory for say a el compressor.
on my mates nl concorde (au motor fitted) he has the a\c bolted up as per factory fitment for nl with no issues either

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

using a log manifold

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
using a log manifold

ah ok.. if you want me to i can post how i did mine as i followed what devilxr -efgiar did on boosted falcon.
also iirc theres a tutuorial on aff ozecruisers section by the same author

Last edited by 89S-PACK on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

taken from a e-mail i have on my boosted falcon account..

DEVLXR wrote:
s_pack89 wrote:
DEVLXR wrote:
s_pack89 wrote:
josh (efgiar) suggested i pm'ed you to ask what belt you are running on your eb?
im considering on going to serp myself but i dont want to lose my a\c which still works if i dont have to

Hey mate, yeah me and Josh worked out how to put serpentine on the earlier models without using an XH tensioner as you may of heard you have to use. I'm using everything of an EF including the tensioner. Now to do this you have to space out the A/C compressor a bit. I used the EF a/c compressor spacers which are roughly an inch long, then cut them exactly in half and mount the compressor along with the cut in half EF spacers to the EB/ED a/c bracket. You still have to use this bracket with the MPFi manifold as it drops the compressor down to clear the throttle body. The reason I spaced the compressor out like this is for the belt to clear the tensioner (this is why people use XH tensioners). I also grinded a few mm's off the top/side of the tensioner where the belt runs past to give some extra clearance and you can also slightly adjust the tensioner in the bolt holes for another 2 mm's. My belt misses the tensioner by about 4 to 5 mm's but it never touches.

The belt I'm using is a custom belt, part number is: 6pk2415 950k6
You can get it from Burson's for about $70, dont worry these belts last 20 years!

You can't use any parts from the EB/ED system that the belt runs, ie. you have to change alternator/bracket, tensioner, water pump, power steering pump, balancer, a/c compressor. You will be able to get a a/c compressor that still works fine, just remember to change the 'O' rings when you do it

Hope this helps, if you can access AFF there's the full tech doco in the Technical area of ozecruisers.

Braden

thanks mate.. i wont be going to be doing the conversion for a little bit anyway gotta source the bits.. .
so you had to use the ef a\c compressor too?
only reason why im loathed to disconnect mine is that it works well and there isnt anyone close to me where i could get it regassed again
also having worked in refrigeration (automotive) ef el compressors commonly die internally and typically look good but arent.
and the pipes are different enough to give issues

i dont have acess to aff anymore. cbf'd setting up an account to get back on

Yer you have to use the ef/el a/c compressor because the pulley is different, 3 ribs to 6 ribs. Na the EB a/c hose will go on mate, I managed to use it. I just bent it around a bit and it works fine, my system has been gassed since January this year, did all the 'O' rings and it hasn't leaked a bit.
EF/EL compressors are pretty much the same unit mate, just slightly different on the front, pulley and thats bout it, uses 3 bolts instead of 4. You can defiantly get them in good condition. Get the job done soon and make a trip into a larger town/city to get it re gassed.

Braden

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ah Braden. i would ask him myself. we live in the same town. i know him, but we don't get along lol

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
ah Braden. i would ask him myself. we live in the same town. i know him, but we don't get along lol

ah.. ive met him a couple of times myself and thought he was a good bloke

pity about that..
on other info try the ozeloser section on aff if you get stuck as he has pictures on the setup last time i checked over 12 months ago before my account was deleted.. from non use

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

we've just had some disagreements on stuff about my car in the past

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next