Fordmods Logo

My new 'blank canvas' 

Page 6 of 24 [ 357 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next

Post subject: Re: My new 'blank canvas'
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Cheers LOLHSV, I'll definitely keep that in mind considering the rims will be painted and therefore be rather delicate and hard to keep in perfect condition...

Umm thinking of vinyl wrapping some trim, cause G6E trim is hard to come by and also quite expensive. I want to cover the silver door and dash spears in carbon wrap. Wondering what it would cost me, to compare with buying G6E trim.

Also, should have the car on super lows within a fortnight or so, depending on work issues... :/

Umm... Yeah, also should be able to get my rims sorted soon too.. But will have to save a bit to get rubber on all four as they currently are running 'slicks' lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FordAUte wrote:

thinking of vinyl wrapping some trim, cause G6E trim is hard to come by and also quite expensive. I want to cover the silver door and dash spears in carbon wrap. Wondering what it would cost me, to compare with buying G6E trim.

http://www.dashdesign.com.au/3d_surface ... dashes.cfm

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Would be good, but they don't have stuff for FG's... Otherwise they look really nice. Would do it if I still had my AUII XR6...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Image (these panels are silver in my xt, this is the first picture I found of all four after a quick search)

These are the four panels I'm going to try and vinyl wrap. Not sure whether I should go with a silver carbon fibre look, or go the traditional black carbon fibre... Or even gloss/matte black. Hmm... Well I've order some trim removal tools, now just gotta figure out how to remove the sections, then I'll measure them up and order the vinyl from eBay... And give it a crack. If it looks s**t, then I'll just peel the vinyl off... :) should be able to do all four for $20-$30 (depending on what size sheets I'll need to order... And how many goes it takes to get it right lol)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

FordAUte wrote:
Would be good, but they don't have stuff for FG's... Otherwise they look really nice. Would do it if I still had my AUII XR6...

You didnt happen to read the description?

Quote:
Dash Design International Pty Ltd has the ability to take any flat or three dimensional plastic, metal or fibreglass part and transform a texture permanently onto it. We then finish the parts in a clear gloss automotive finish

You send whatever pieces you want done, and they do it. On ebay they quote custom orders around $600 to do 11 dash pieces for example.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hmmm apparently not, I just searched what products they had available... Will have to look at that one again... :/ hmm bit of a man look moment there... Lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hmmm if only i had the coin...
PPQ $445 for "08-XTT" Have to put that on the wish list.

hmm also looking into possible Multi-function display tweak... i was thinking instead of getting aftermarket gauges, surely there must be a way to customise the MFD to show other figures through the display in the cluster... but yeah coming up with nothing at the moment. I thought it would have already been done, but apparently not.
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-audio-visual-f5/customising-mfd-on-fg-t117765.html

Also, just about to pay for my Monroe GT's and the King springs to go with it. XK has helped me choose super lows for now, due to what rims i have available and the possibilty of being able to go lower later but not being able to raise it straight away if i need to. so that should all be together within the fortnight hopefully.
Then the next part will be an exhaust so i can actually hear the bloody thing when it turns on... looking at single muffler 2.5" cat back for now, then will do the cat after. Then depending on the time till turbo, the headers...

Also, REALLY hoping that i will be able to pick up a set of 18's at the goldy car show swap meet while we are there. My mate has a set of 18" wheels that are off a Mazda i think, he filled in a few details and is painting them black i believe... but i recon they will look mint and he only payed $150 for them.

umm what else...
hmm think that is about all for now.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Right time for a little update...

Still waiting for the GT Monroe shocks/struts to turn up, and the springs should also be here mid week if my mate pulls his finger out. but seeing him tomorrow, so should be able to clear that up easily enough. so hopefully have them in the car within the fortnight... also thanks to YES.40L for throwing up some pictures of his 5.0L daily, made me that little bit more confident in my decision to go for supers out front and ultras out back... cheers...

I've started on patching the AU XR rims. measured up the centre recess to make my own centre caps at work. so they will be ready long before i can afford to put rubber on the rim... so that should hopefully be another item to check off the list.

OBDII reader turned up in the mail on thursday, and finally got around to trying to use it yesterday... unfortunately APPLE strikes again with its useless bluetooth protocol :x so until i can find an alternative phone/tab to use in the car... it is completely useless to me and my iphone 5.

Just a note to those that are thinking of getting an OBDII dongle...
-Apple users
Must get a dongle that supports WIFI (around $200) instead of just the bluetooth reader (around $15), and also buy the Rev's app ($50). so for us... its very expensive.
-Android users
Bluetooth dongle (around $15) and the app from memory is Torque (around $5). so its quite cheap, and can be even cheaper with the use of a free app. though from what i have read, the Torque app is well worth the $5...

umm what else...
oh i have been looking into a audio boot install since i have an amp and sub laying around down stairs, kindly donated by my cousin. so the plan is the following at the moment...
hmm... looking at picking up another 2 pioneer subs tomorrow, then i would sell my sub to make back half the cost of the new ones... I know the volume will be all sorts of wrong, but i dont mind... though i will make sure to fabricate these boxes with quality in mind, i am sacrificing volume but i want to make the most of the volume that it does have. so it will be from 18mm mdf, possible stuff it to 'increase' volume/or port it some how (dont know much about porting), reinforced to stop any flex, double thickness in the front, etc.
As the picture shows ill mount some red LED's on the rear side of the sub box, wiring them into the courtesy light in the boot so when the boot opens... HEY PREST'O, RED GLOW! :) But that wont be the only little visual addition... i am thinking of getting two bits of aluminum plate and milling the fordmods sticker design into the aluminium, then polishing it up and mounting one either side of the subs... just as a bit of a show off point lol plus it will be good practice for my CNC programming at work.
To make it easier down the track, nothing will be hard wired to the car. It will all have connections/terminals either on the edges of the boxes or at the point the wires come through the carpet. this is to ensure that if needs be, the whole unit can be removed with ease...
This will be a bit of a long term project too btw, im broke-ish and i still need to invest in a fair bit of of materials (line converters, 4 channel amp to run door speakers, all material for the setup, etc) and knowledge (how best to tackle the volume issue, how to make it all, how to wire it all up, etc).

yeah i think that is about it for now... apart from the boring stuff (eg due for a service)...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just did a few calculations to figure out what sort of volume I would have for a twin setup in the design I want... I came up with just shy of 20L per sub, so I'm either going to have to stuff the boxes, or port them into the boot :/ but oh we'll, like I said I knew I was going to fall short on recommended volume... I just need to make sure I use that 20L to the best of my ability/knowledge...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thats the basic layout of what the audio setup will look like...
now just looking into wiring... i want to do this ONCE and never have to do it again. so im re-wiring all the stereo wires...

need to know the guage and type of all the wires i will need to do this. like i said i want to do this ONCE! so im going to put the biggest (within reason) wires i can, to take any future upgrades with ease.

so yeah if anyone could help that would be tops.

Wire Guages
ICC to AMPs -
AMPs to Speakers -
AMPs to Subs -
Battery to AMPs -
EARTH - 0 Guage

umm also need fittings. ok... how best to explain this... i want to wire it up so i can take everything out when/if i need to. so when i take everything out, all you will see is 4 wires coming in from the ICC (speaker wires) with a plug on the end, a plug with 4 wires going out to the speakers, power cable coming in from the battery, earth cable going out to the chasis... i think thats about it, as the wiring from amp to sub will be either attached to the sub box or the amp box.

i want this to be as modular as possible and for ANYONE to be able to come along and plug/unplug the whole thing up with ease... i want this to be SIMPLE... will just take some planning in the fabrication stage is all...

anywho, thanks to anyone that can lend a hand and a couple of minutes of their time.

ps new purcahse today... got bored... :p so this will do for the mean time, before i can fab my own box. first mission will be wiring the car up to take all the new upgrades...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Dropped my cousin off at the mechanics to pick up his Vy ss after it got a new tailshaft (old one was somehow bent), anyways not my point... Next door at cookies someone had the good taste to fit his ute with g6e wheels, looks good... Though I think it still needs some more work lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Cookies hey.
Was Roothy there getting all mental and hectic?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I dislike Roothy. :|

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Am I missing something, you two are from Sydney and I live like 5 mins away from cookie's and I don't know who roothy is? Lol
But don't know what was going on in there, I was in at Crawford auto. Seemed quiet at cookies though. usually something nice parked out front, but there was nothing...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well, happy days... Gt monroe sport shocks and struts turned up today, and hopefully springs by the end of the week... :)
Now just gotta get coin for new rubber, but rubber has to compete with sound system at the moment... :/ could be running the low setup with the stock 16's for a while lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 24  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next