Fordmods Logo

NAII FAIRLANE 

Page 31 of 36 [ 530 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next

Post subject: Re: NAII FAIRLANE
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

I want to do a barra for something different but id also like a el mont.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So long time no post. Well abit has happened I have gotten a job doing deliverys for a pizza joint best part I get to use a company car so no extra k's on my lane. My step dad and I both put a pod filter's in our lanes and there is a difference in acceleration. We both take off quicker from a stand still and in the mid range rpm we both get a smoother amount of up and go in the high rpm no difference can be felt. I just need to make up a bracket to hold the pods in place and Im going to make up an airbox still as I can now afford to do extra things (after I pay for rego). Now for the people who think pods dont do anything as I know there are a few who think pods are the s**t of the s**t you now have to thing about this. I've just gone from a very restrictive snorkel and a crappy panel fiter to a pod that sucks in all the air around it. My lane now idles better and has a nice induction noise that at 3,000 rpm gets a nice whistle to it ( well nice whistle to me). I have got a 90° 3" silicone elbow that fits perfectly in the mouth of where the snorkel would attach so it lets some more cooler air in and to ram some towards the pod ill be making up a better snorkel to it aswell. Where the indicator is I noticed if I reach into where the light is there is a big gap which leads to the front wheel so ill be making a snorkel for there aswell. The reason being that after a drive its nice and cool where the back of the indicator is. Ill take some pics tomorrow of the current set up but that will have to wait until after school.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Lets hope none of the anal readers see that and start raving about how pods do nothing and its been proven blah blah blah... Each to their own, however I'd get it boxed ASAP and ducted from behind the headlight as yes it may provide better response but in traffic it will start sucking warm/hot air and mess with the air fuel ratios.

When/if you do a BBM conversion the EF/EL air boxes are easier to convert to hold a pod, I'm going to be adding some more ducting to mine as well.

Updates are on my build thread too, and pics on how I set mine up.

EDIT: congrats on the job too, work cars are excellent perks, and deliveries isn't too bad. Not as good pay as shopping centre nightfill (no driving though just monotonous shelf stacking) but way better than maccas/hungrys or KFC, lol..

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

we all know un boxed pods do nothing except for something
called the placebo effect..

many of us have been there and done it.

some entertainment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Yeah but works work and I do just deliveries no in store stuff which is good so im happy with that. When I got their I talked with the boss got shown around the store then was sent out with a driver. When I got back he said do you want the job I said yes and he said good because you have a shift on thursday. Last night his nephew (my best mate that works ther that got me the job) sent me a message saying I have a shift tomorrow, wendsday, and saturday added on to my thursday shift. I like it because its cash in hand at the end of each shift.

Placebo up my a*** when reversing out of my drive way for the first time I put my accelerator in as much as I usually do and I shot a load like nothing. If that isnt a gain then I dont know what is and as i said going from the restrictive snorkel to the free hanging pod with air all around it has made a difference. I've worked out with the old snorkel it goes from 3" necked down to 2.5" then opens back up to 3" thats one hell of a restriction where as now it gets more air then it needs. Once its boxed up it will be sucking in cold air all the time especially as ill be painting the airbox in heat proof paint.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Pod is now mouted once I get some money from work ill be getting either stainless steel sheeting or diamond/checked plate to make up the airbox. What would be the better material? I have also got some new sway bar mount bushes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Thats the intake so far once some money comes in ill be getting the recommended steel ill also be asking my dad but im leaning towards the checker plate for something different.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
we all know un boxed pods do nothing except for something
called the placebo effect..

many of us have been there and done it.

some entertainment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

+1

The reason that you have an improvement is because of where you were coming from.

Yes an improvement on the EA Airbox & Filter.

Difference between an EF airbox, or any decent airbox with Panel filter & Airbox with Pod, sweet FA if not going backwards with the pod.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Whats checker plate like to weld is it the same as stainless steel? Also can I paint checker plate as it is or is their some kind of coating on it that I have to take off? If I use checker plate ill be welding it if I use stainless steel sheeting ill be bending and pop riveting. Also if I use stainless steel ill be making the lid out of checker plate for the different look.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It depends on what the chequer plate is made of.
Is it stainless , mild steel , aluminium or plastic?
Chequer plate isn't a different look. Its been used for years.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I thought it was all the same well at least I know now cheers. Um stainless I guess also whats it like to cut?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I thought it was all the same well at least I know now cheers. Um stainless I guess also whats it like to cut?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

I'd avoid using metal for your boxing. It's gonna end up being a heat sink especially if its alloy.. Heatproof paint or ceramic coating and even alfoil can reduce it but metal always absorbs heat one way or another, maybe a little less but it will still end up being a hot box for your pod..

What I'd try doing is using the original air box, and using a dremel or whatever cup off the original outlet, expand it so your 3 inch pipe (*pete griffin laugh* ngahaha 3 inch pipe) can fit through and you can put the filter inside the box, then cut a hole through the front of the top half and use some thin sheet metal to duct air into the box.

I had a plan to do this before I went to the BBM.

Seriously, I believe this would be the best way to box the pod, easiest, cheapest and most practical too. It will look neater and make work on the car in that area easier.

If you want I'll send you some pics of my idea. I really think it is what you need..

To answer your questions though, as mentioned already checked plate can be alloy or S/Steel, it would have to be welded custom cut and fitted (which can be a PITA, and take a lot of trial and error) and you may end up with a crappy looking box in the end.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Okay. Some pics would be great. I fitted the new bushes and by christ it was a PITA to do.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Yeah Ill do them later tonight..

Swaybar Ds should be the easiest ones to to! One at a time, undo the bracket slip on the new one and do the bracket back up..

Also in the garage....

Sort by  
 Page 31 of 36  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next