Fordmods Logo

NAII FAIRLANE 

Page 7 of 36 [ 530 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next

Post subject: Re: NAII FAIRLANE
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I've used blue before and it was ok. But it was the last resort.

The best stuff to use is copper sealant. Same style tube as the blue but in a copper colored tube, it's a bit more expensive but it's the good stuff for exhaust and anything else (ive used it on a thermostat before.)

Just a smear too so it dosnt splooge into the exhaust ports too much

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

ill grab some of that then the only problem I can see is getting half of the cast manifold off the bolts are s**t house to get to but ill do it all after I get back from Vic because im going over on monday. im also looking at some wildcat extractors that are over there. hopefully ill be bringing them back with me and if so ill then be grabbing a 2.5" venom cat and have it all fitted that way I don't f around with the cast manifold and I get some extractors and a new cat fitted. :D

also if I wanted to get a xr6 motor would it fit? and apart from about 20-30HP difference what else is different about the xr6 motor because it cant be the fact its a 4.0L can it?

could I also take all the good bits from a xr6 and put them in my lane of would I be better off getting a xr6 motor put in? if so would I also need the wiring loom to go with the ecu? or just get the good bits from a xr6 put them in the lane then get a J3 chip with a tickford tune?

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Sounds like a good plan with the exhaust.
Manifolds are pretty simple to remove/install but might as well kill 3-4 birds with one stone.. (The key is small birds, large stone lol)

XR6 engine..
It will fit, the engines are the same.
The main differences with it is the head and a bigger fuel pressure regulator. The heads have a larger exhaust port, and an XR spec cam (slightly tighter valve springs too I think) and ECU tune takes advantage of that to get the bit better power.

With the last part all 3 options are viable. It's really a matter or wha you can get your hands on.

The looms are all the same EXCEPT EF. They have a 104 pin ECU.. so your gonna want EB-ED or if you want to go another step, EL with the BBM

I have an EL XR6 engine in mine. It was pretty easy to convert. There is heaps of info on here about it.

See if you can get a complete EL wreck/cheapo. That way you have all the small extras too..

Also in the garage....

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

okay cool so after saying that what would be better a xr6 motor or just the head and cam combo because my fairlane has the original motor and its only done about 159k

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Ultimately, whatever you can afford. Have a shop around.
Keep a lookout on for sale threads, gumtree, eBay etc.
You may find a complete car for $500. Or a cheap motor..

You never know what you can come across, save away $50 a week and when somthing comes up you'll have the cash.

I've been lucky and know lots of people in a small town.

In my whole time with my fairlane the highest cost I spent was $400 for the XR engine and $200 for the ECU. Most other stuff I got for free. Including all the lanes/LTDs I've owned.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

why put a Tickford motor in? Thought you said the motor was fine and the car wasn't a race car as you had a kid?

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

a few friends have said i should but isn't the head and cam the only difference?

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

why listen to them? do what you wanna do lol

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

im also thinking for the future for when my daughter is older.

also what fpr and fuel pump should i get?

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Im not gonna tell you exactly what to do. I can though if it will make it easier?

Go get a 2.5 exhaust right through.

Get hold of a $500 special EL.

Convert your car to EL engine including the BBM, serpentine belt and thermos. (just standard for now the power boost will keep you happy.)

Save some chash while you do some free mods with the EL you got, door trims, diff, maybe seats if you like them.

Hunt down a EF/EL Tickford head.
Get a cam and a J3 chip.

Convert it to manual or freshen up your auto..

That should make a nice cruiser. It will sound good, go nicely so your not the slug in traffic, and it's not at all crazy powered, your missus could still drive it.

It's advise, and it's ultimately up to you.

It's not like your talking about turbo kits or chargers..

Main point is your still young and might not truly get this for another 10 years (I certainly didnt till I was well mid 20s) But life is unpredictable. You won't know what you can get unless your looking. And all things come to those who wait. Just keep your ears out, and don't just jump on the first thing you find. When it's meant to happen it will, just trust..

Getting a cheap EL could save you up to $2k in parts buying from a wreckers..

Re read my posts, a lot of stuff I could repeat here...

Also in the garage....

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Darcy4524 wrote:
im also thinking for the future for when my daughter is older.

What are your thought in this area? Just asking...

FPRs and bigger fuel pumps are for high power setups....

Standard fuel pump to replace yours if its packed it in.

Find a couple of other blokes who are also on fordmods, a little older and in Adelaide.

There are many knowledgable blokes there.

sa-wa-ford-cruise-f11/sa-dyno-day-turbo-tune-13th-november-2010-t93761-195.html

Keep your eye out for the fellas on that thread, it's an old dyno day I was at.

Find some if their build threads or message them and find out what they have done.

Do your mates own EA-EDs with EL engines in them? Don't take advise from a dairy farmer about sheep if you get the metafore.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

nah my mate owns a ba another has a ba and another has a xr6 around the same year.

i was thinking about a rising rate fpr or a 300kpa one to replace my 270kpa fpr but i dont know about the fuel pump?

i want to keep my 3.9 and use bolt on stuff that can be transferred to another engine later in life. ive also read that a worked au head will bolt onto my engine and if i fitted a cam based around mostly torque with some power its one of the best combos possible and i can keep the stock ecu. the head and cam sound realistic but keeping the ecu sounds like it will be like wtf has happened. does that sound about right?

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Best choice your gonna want would be a 300kpa factory EB-ED reg. But there's not much point putting just that onto a stock motor.

I'm not too sure about AU heads. I'm pretty sure they are bolt on but a custom cam is needed.
An EB-ED XR head would be a better option to look into there. Then get the regulator..

Also in the garage....

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Sorry would have replied earlier but went out for my birthday.

But the reason I'm looking at a regulator is because when i was out today i was at smart and i turned the key to on and the fuel pump didnt prime for the usual 2 seconds and usual noise instead it primed for about half a second and half as loud. The reason i want to replace the fpr is so i have everything fuel related is replaced at once.

When i read about the au head it was compared to a el head which is better than an au stock but a au head is better when worked. The difference is stock the el head is good for about 320hp where the au is good for 302hp but when worked the el head is good for 342hp where as a worked au head is good for about 360 hp. After reading that I'm going to get a el head as i only want about 300hp.

So after saying that would fitting a el head give me any gains and would i need the cam to suit?

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

The head itself wouldn't, parts combine to make it worthwhile.

EF/EL head Tickford preferably. Get a factory XR (300kpa) regulator, Buy an upgrade cam and vernier gear. And a J3 with a tune to suit.

Honestly, I looked into the eBay ones etc, but realistically I didn't need one, it would also be more work and expense to fit, factory ford parts are pretty tough. It turned out my reg wasn't working because it was bent when the engine was removed and it was still connected..

Work out FIRST what you want, which by the sounds of your age and family needs is simply a neat car that can keep up with traffic, has a couple of custom mods you did yourself and can talk about, and runs reliably and regularly. Plan it out and show the missus, Stay on one REALISTIC idea. 300hp is a lot of worked motor.... This will also loosen the purse strings when it comes to spending cos she won't thing your full of s**t (sorry if I'm wrong there, mine is pretty happy but some wives...yeah....)

I had 120kw (160hp) at the wheels with my 3.9. And that was good enough.
The EL upgrade gave it a good boost, smoother down low and more power.
Hopefully a rebuilt motor with the worked head, cam and chip and ill be around 130-150kw at the wheels.

Somtimes I notice my fuel pump prime, somtimes it is quieter, it will often change depending on fuel level.
If your worried at all, a new fuel pump will re assure you. Replace the fuel filter at the same time.

Side note, happy birthday! Just noticed it changed your age under your info too!

Also, put up more pics :wink: gotta give people more to look at than me an you dribbling cars... Lol.

Also in the garage....

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 36  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next