Fordmods Logo

Project XC GXL 4V 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Project XC GXL 4V
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Hey guys, haven't been on here for while as i sold off lot of Ford related stuff i had in anticipation to build some old classic machinery

Well as it turned out my first purchase is yet another Ford :mrgreen:

I found this dead original unrestored example and fell in love with it

She's as factory as they come, been in storage for last 12 years only getting started periodically to keep oils lubricating all essential engine internal parts

Here's a quote from sellers add for car to give you an idea of why i just had to have it

Quote:
ON OFFER IS AN XC CXL FAIRMONT V8 SEDAN. THIS CAR IS AN UNTOUCHED ORIGINAL, AND WAS OWNED BY FORD AUSTRALIA. NEVER BEEN REPAINTED, NEVER BEEN LOWERED, NEVER HAD A TOWBAR FITTED, NEVER HAD LPG FITTED, NEVER HAD AN AFTERMARKET STEREO FITTED, NEVER HAD WHEEL ARCH LIPS FOLDED UP, STILL HAS ITS ORIGINAL FORD JACK AND SIDCHROME ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT WHEEL BRACE......YOU GET THE DRIFT. THE ODOMETER IS SHOWING ABOUT 180000 KMS.

THE CAR IS A FACTORY 302 V8 WITH T/BAR AUTO AND LSD DIFFERENTIAL AND 4WDB.

OPTIONS ARE...

AIR COND.

POWER STEERING.

ELECTRIC WINDOWS.

LONG RANG FUEL TANK, (AND YOU'LL NOTICE THE SPARE WHEEL HOLDER IN THE PHOTO).

CASSETTE TAPE PLAYER.

DUEL EXHAUST.

302 ENGINE.

ALL THESE OPTIONS ARE STILL PRESENT AND FITTED.

THE CAR IS STRAIGHT WITH ONLY VERY MINIMAL RUST. THE CAR HAS BEEN STARTED REGULY BUT NOT DRIVEN SINCE ABOUT 1998 OR SO, WHICH IS THE LAST TIME IT WAS REGISTERED. THE FUEL PUMP IS NOW FAULTY. THE ENGINE BLOCK APPEARS TO BE A FACTORY UNSTAMPED FOR WHATEVER REASON. THE CAR COMES WITH THE BOOKS AND WAS ORIGINALLY OWNED BY THE FORD MOTOR CO. AND HAS HAD ONLY ONE REGISTERED OWNER EVER SINCE. ALSO HAS ALL ITS I.D PLATES INCLUDING THE RADIATOR SUPPORT GXL TAG.

OK - the compliance plates say motor option is "P" - which means it's the original optioned up 4v 302 motor :P :mrgreen: :P
Now i think from memory all cars optioned with the 4v motors also got the FMX (for auto's which this is) and the 9" rears all factory, first thing i will be doing once it arrives is crawlling under beast to have looksie

THE PLANS

Plans for this is to return to "OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR" condition

Car will be getting pulled completely down and get new bare metal 2k respray in factory colour 'Platinum Blue'

From here everything will be inspected, cleaned, repaired or replaced before making it's way back onto car

Will post up some better quality pics when she arrives :wink:

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Post subject: Re: Project XC GXL 4V
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice car. Not many around like it now days.
All the XC onwards 302 were listed as 4V's but unlike the earlier and yank 4V they didnt get the 4V heads. It will just be a stock XC era 302.
Being an australian 4V motor only means it has the 4 barrel Thermoquad on it , which was standard fitment from XC onwards anyway.
It will have 2V closed chamber heads on it.
The motors are unstamped if they were a warranty motor. If the original motor let go during warranty and was replaced the block was unstamped and there was a plate rivited to it with the cars chassis number on it.
Being a 302 it will have a C4 and a Borg Warner diff from factory.
Being a GXL it should have got the LSD and 4 wheel discs.

Dont mean to burst your bubble , would just hate to see you dissapointed when it arrives.
Looking forward to seeing it progress.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ahh ok thanks for that

I was contemplating leaving motor in standard form as i thought it was a 302 optioned with 4v heads etc, now i know that's not the case i may just slip a stroker crankshaft in there and play with heads etc to get some extra out of it whilst keeping it looking ala-factory on the outside

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Car finally gets on a carrier today so will hopefully be here early next week :mrgreen: FINALLY :P

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, STOP THE PRESS, IT'S HERE!!!!!! :P :mrgreen: :D

Finally arrived this afternoon on back of tilt tray, now i've had time to go right over it she's in really good nick considering age

Most rust is around boot area channel where rubber goes (surprise surprise) and there's some bog around top of rear quarters near bootlid that will need to come out also. Some rust coming out in couple other areas but nothing major so all in all i'm pretty happy with it

Started car today and left running to full operating temp, no leaks, perfect oil pressure and nice and quite - not bad for car that's been in storage last 15 years :shock:

Anyway now waiting for brother to bring my tool kit up when he comes around next so can start pulling down for full resto, in meantime i'll setup couple work benches in shed and get everything ready

Here's few pics off my mobile, really need to go out and buy decent camera now so i can take lots of high quality pics to document the whole build

And a pic of the original factory option headlight covers fitted 8-)

More pics to come, hopefully i can fix the window control holders on doors to keep everything looking factory, will post pics of these tommorrow as forgot today and now too dark :(

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Number plates arrived the other day for this project so pretty stocked with that, what ya think, think they will suit?? lol i sure do hehe

Looked closer at car and has bit more rust than first thought, mainly around the boot area under the rubber (surprise surprise) and couple other bits in rear door jams around door striker etc

Overall though not as bad as some that i have seen

Will hopefully start tear down this weekend

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Looks like the basis for a great resto job mate, you don't see too many GXL's around these days, especially with lots of factory original bits on them! The rust, it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I've seen on Xc's, you should be able to get some repair sections to help with the repair job.

Got any interior shots? Is it in good shape inside? Does it have full instrumentation like a fairmont?

I think the plates will suit it well, even down the the white on black color spec. :cool:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Interior is in reasonably good shape, couple interior door handles need replacing but that's about it. It's very dusty in there as old owner left window down i think to keep access to car as outside door handle not working so it needs a really good clean

I actually want to find out if we can still buy the same colour material anyway and do complete retrim to standard specs to give brand new look and smell

Here's couple pics of interior

One of the offending door handles - absolutely rat****

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

i'll definitely be watching this one

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Wow, that interior is in pretty good nick for the age of it! Brings back memories, i grew up in XA, Xb & Xc's, all with v8's of course! :cool:

Worst comes to worst with the door handle, and you can't get replacements, you could probably remake it from scratch, using some steel bar for a frame of it, then wrap it in some really hard foam from clarke rubber, then get it trimmed like stock.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah that's an option to, i thought i had another set of handles lined up but guy didn't send his account details for payment so will have to wait for another set to pop up i guess

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Finally got start on build today

Pulled the complete front off car then pressure washed all mud and crap off it, suprisingly very little rust to be found at moment (hope it stays this way after blasting lol)

Removed all the doors also, the passenger front door has been replaced sometime throughout it's life as it's a burgundy colour under door card and the damn repairers just cut the loom to door in the door jam and used wire crimpers to join back up again :evil:

Pulled rear bar off along with tail lights also, fair bit of rust around tail light area and under boot rubber channel so not sure if this is repairable so may need to find a donor piece

Anyway here's couple pics of what car looks like now

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ea spak xr6 look a like

QLD, Australia

dam looks in really good shape, brings back memories of my xc red/orange colour white interour, they have much better plenum area than xa xbs, you going to paint original colour?

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah mate - definately going original clolour on this one

Even getting the complete interior retrimmed in same materials to give brand new look also

Pretty much after a dead original looking GXL with a beefed up drivetrain that looks all completely standard :P

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ea spak xr6 look a like

QLD, Australia

that sounds like i good idear, going to reco the air con? should see if you can get a factory sun roof sorry ''moon roof'' :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next