Fordmods Logo

Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182 

Page 10 of 30 [ 449 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next

Post subject: Re: Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
wouldn't have thought you would need the bracing[?] as most sunroofs i've seen [& 1 i fitted] didn't need it :mrgreen:

Was that ute or sedan?,can imagine there's no problem in a sedan-I'm just a bit worried it may lose some rigidity through body by doing so.

actually a val for me ...

but that was many years ago :?

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Forgot to mention I'll be using XH mirrors/rear bumper and removing tonneau hooks and welding & filling the holes-hard lid + (I've literally had enough of the xd/xe/xf/xg door handles) they can be made to work almost perfect but it never takes long for them to be buggered again,so with a bit of help a couple of mates and some r & d-we'll attempt using BA door handles (cut & TIG in the whole door handle area) modify XG locks and mechanisms to use cable as the BA/BF and XG outer locks to remain,should be awesome mod :mrgreen: see how far I get :roll:

sounds good! ... may need a custom rod between handle & lock? also depends on which way XG door lock works ie is it push down to open door or pull up?

AU handles [presume same as BA/BF?] one front one rear. maybe go key lock as well? .. can column lock be replaced with later EB lock [tibbe] ?

edit - hopefully THAT fixes pic :roll:

Last edited by Mad2 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

There were a couple of guys on here that fitted ED/EF handles - see below. AU/BA will need the whole recess welded in.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

snap0964 wrote:
There were a couple of guys on here that fitted ED/EF handles - see below. AU/BA will need the whole recess welded in.

Ha thanks snap-that's actually where I got the idea from,I just like how flat the BA ones are (smooths the whole door)+having a cable to open the doors is very appealing,will take pics when I do it aswell :wink:

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Will be having a better look at they way they work-may have to use a rod like MAD2 said,but yea taking templates from both doors to remove handle/recess and surrounding area from BA/BF and to cut the same from the XG doors to TIG back in :| -will definitely be a challenge :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Will be having a better look at they way they work-may have to use a rod like MAD2 said,but yea taking templates from both doors to remove handle/recess and surrounding area from BA/BF and to cut the same from the XG doors to TIG back in :| -will definitely be a challenge :shock:

havn't actually taken the BA doors apart yet to see if they are the exact same as AU. i'm presuming. before cutting work out what way the door snib/lock needs to work with handle. nothing worse than finding out something canna work after major surgery :mrgreen: . when fitting central locking to a car years ago i found that the actuating rods wouldn't work well with the way it was recommend to fit [on door snib buttons]. instead i actually ended up fitting straight to door lock [main mechanism had an extra connection that wasn't used] with a lot less hassles re operating it. but i had to make my own rod to make it all work

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok got some pics of both XG & BA outer door handles from inside the door,they are opposite side doors but I think this may work if I modify a BA rod to work with the XG locks.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

On further inspection Even the locks and strikers it may be possible to modify them to work with the XG doors,the cable is for the inner door handles which I may be able to use on the XG inner handles with some slight modifying of course 8-)

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mad2 wrote:
awesome! ... pics make it look soo simple lol :shock:

Yea I agree :lol: but it does give some hope of it actually being doable and have XG doors that hopefully work as good as BA doors would definitely make it a worth while mod IMO 8-)

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Yea I agree :lol: but it does give some hope of it actually being doable and have XG doors that hopefully work as good as BA doors would definitely make it a worth while mod IMO 8-)

you do realise that the BA/BF doors are basically AU doors :roll: :mrgreen:

now all you have to do is work out what spot to put the handles :roll: :lol: can you change the ignition lock to later style tibbe or are they already tibbe ?? if they already are tibbe ..... why not change the door lock to the AU/BA/BF style too? ... less scratch of ya paint?

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

XG/XH are tibbe locks, and their system is basically same as EB-EL, with door handles modded to suit.
XF would've been harder as the locks are different, and the outside handle action is opposite.

Have a flick through BenJ's build thread (the index page 1) - IIRC there's pics of AU handles in EB doors.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
XG/XH are tibbe locks, and their system is basically same as EB-EL, with door handles modded to suit.
XF would've been harder as the locks are different, and the outside handle action is opposite.

Have a flick through BenJ's build thread (the index page 1) - IIRC there's pics of AU handles in EB doors.

didn't know if they were or not & XF would have needed a small lever to reverse the handle action

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Mad2 wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:

you do realise that the BA/BF doors are basically AU doors :roll: :mrgreen:

now all you have to do is work out what spot to put the handles :roll: :lol: can you change the ignition lock to later style tibbe or are they already tibbe ?? if they already are tibbe ..... why not change the door lock to the AU/BA/BF style too? ... less scratch of ya paint?

Yea door locks are the same as EB/ED so no need to change them,just the handles and maybe latch mech's & strikers,see how I go :roll:

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:34 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mad2 wrote:
how did ya go with the :?:

Hey Mad2 ,did test them out a bit to see if it is possible but haven't done it yet till I work a few other bits out,heres a couple of pics of a mock fit of lock and inner handle,hows the manual barra coming along?,nearly done 11,000 kms since the conversion hey-very reliable ye ol ute :)

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 30  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next