Fordmods Logo

Rach's EF Fairmont - Just needs paint cleanup now 

Page 3 of 31 [ 463 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next

Post subject: Re: Rach's EF Fairmont Build, courtesy of RD. Starter Pics up!
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Those rust patches can be welded pretty easily by the looks of it from here Bruce. Im sure some replace ment part can be found. IE cut the sections out of your EL wagon wreck before it get disposed of.
Will just have to be careful welding near the VIN number. Last thing you need at blue slip time is someone possibly asking why there are signs of welding and grinding around the VIN?

Your certainly right about noone buying but mate. I just about had to give stuff away and still couldnt get rid of it!
Heres hoping my two sales I just did all come through without a hitch. Fingers crossed!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Geeze Mate, did you score the correct colour bonnet and bumper? If so, well done!!!!

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Nigel:
I'm not sure about the compressor bearings, never done one. Depends on how much I can get a replacement for.

Josh:
Nice idea on the EL/EB loom dash but the cost would be prohibitive to send that to the shaky isle!

Matt:
Sort of good news on the rust. p****d off now I cut the middle out of the EL's rad support while trying out mounts for the EL condensor into my ED. Might cut out the piece from the EL near the VIN just incase. Your right about the EF's VIN too although I now have pics to prove why welding was done :) Will know more when I get the engine bay apart and dig around in that rust spot.

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

If your keen to go exploring, you can at least paint strip the bonnet yourself.

What you need:

Some sort of stand for your bonnet.
Sturdy Plastic so you can walk around on, big enough to put underneath your feet and the job and to the extent that you can easily walk around the whole of the bonnet if you get what I mean.
Overall's.
A Box of Rubber Gloves (Reason I say this is you can go through quite a few pairs because the paint stripper eventually eats through the gloves, so you just keep taking the old ones off, and putting a new pair on as you go).
Newspaper (so you can tape in front of your overall's, for first timers, as I found, it can get messy.
Steel Bucket for all of your waste.
Probably about 3-5 bottles of Paintstripper from your local automotive supplier, such as supercheap, auto barn, etc.
Bog Applicator.

Applying and getting rid of the paint is easy, it's just messy and can sting if your not carefull :P. Simply just poor the paintstripper on, Applying it about, I dunno, about 5mil thick, however you think is necessary, you learn by experimenting, and you go from there. I like to work from the middle, and working outwards, that way you can prevent getting half the s**t on your overalls. Leave the Paintstripper to sit for 30 seconds, and listen to the music of getting rid of old crappy paint :). Then use your bog applicator to scrap it all off, your aiming to see nothing but bare metal on the outside. Another handy tip is to try and not get too much paintstripper on the edges/corners.

Once the outside, topmost of the bonnet is shiny bare metal, take it to your preferred car painter, it might also be worth getting him to flick some colour underneath the bonnet while his at it, he might also need the car so he can colour match the bonnet itself, then he'll give her a buff (I hope) so it brings out the colour of the rest of the car to the bonnet.

Hope that gives you some in site :wink:.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well just replace the rusted side section on the radiator support. Its a huge job to replace the whole panel.
I have faith its possible mate.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB

New Zealand

:lol: shakey isle. Thanks for the thought but I am 1)poor 2)don't know how to get around the park brake and 3)poor.

By the way, no ones buying my stuff either. I've got my 4 speed BTR up for sale in perfect working order for $100, from a 200k car, and no one wants it.

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I thought this was the one that was for sale, now I know it is.

Looks good. At least all you really have to do is swap some panels and the Engine/Box.

Might as well just get some other wheels for it, those look trashed. Should be easy to find a set the same.

That rust is scary though, I have never seen rust on an EF :shock:

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Fairmont

NSW, Australia

did you mention the bonnet struts or did you manage to fix em? also forgot to give you those honda wheels when you came to pick up the car but doubt you would have much use for em anyway, will be great to see how its coming along and also to show my parents how the "piece of junk" according to them turns out :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
If your keen to go exploring, you can at least paint strip the bonnet yourself.

What you need:

Some sort of stand for your bonnet.
Sturdy Plastic so you can walk around on, big enough to put underneath your feet and the job and to the extent that you can easily walk around the whole of the bonnet if you get what I mean.
Overall's.
A Box of Rubber Gloves (Reason I say this is you can go through quite a few pairs because the paint stripper eventually eats through the gloves, so you just keep taking the old ones off, and putting a new pair on as you go).
Newspaper (so you can tape in front of your overall's, for first timers, as I found, it can get messy.
Steel Bucket for all of your waste.
Probably about 3-5 bottles of Paintstripper from your local automotive supplier, such as supercheap, auto barn, etc.
Bog Applicator.

Applying and getting rid of the paint is easy, it's just messy and can sting if your not carefull :P. Simply just poor the paintstripper on, Applying it about, I dunno, about 5mil thick, however you think is necessary, you learn by experimenting, and you go from there. I like to work from the middle, and working outwards, that way you can prevent getting half the s**t on your overalls. Leave the Paintstripper to sit for 30 seconds, and listen to the music of getting rid of old crappy paint :). Then use your bog applicator to scrap it all off, your aiming to see nothing but bare metal on the outside. Another handy tip is to try and not get too much paintstripper on the edges/corners.

Once the outside, topmost of the bonnet is shiny bare metal, take it to your preferred car painter, it might also be worth getting him to flick some colour underneath the bonnet while his at it, he might also need the car so he can colour match the bonnet itself, then he'll give her a buff (I hope) so it brings out the colour of the rest of the car to the bonnet.

Hope that gives you some in site :wink:.

Wow, thanks matey. If it doesn't sell to someone with the expertise then I'll try it myself...

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Well just replace the rusted side section on the radiator support. Its a huge job to replace the whole panel.
I have faith its possible mate.

That would be a damn good idea :) Actually it is just the edge that you see, it doesn't go any further. I had thoughts of grinding that section down, cleaning it and painting it as it is!

The two rearmost spots are going to be the tricky ones...

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
I thought this was the one that was for sale, now I know it is.

Looks good. At least all you really have to do is swap some panels and the Engine/Box.

Might as well just get some other wheels for it, those look trashed. Should be easy to find a set the same.

That rust is scary though, I have never seen rust on an EF :shock:

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

You're right, a few panels, engine/trans and some elbow grease to clean the body up. You might be right about the wheels, the other 3 are just as bad.

Never seen rust on an EF? You wanna see the EL wagon I have here then - rust city!

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

NZEA wrote:
:lol: shakey isle. Thanks for the thought but I am 1)poor 2)don't know how to get around the park brake and 3)poor.

LOL! Ex-Kiwi here buddy, can't get around them Wellington earthquakes :) 1) Yup - me too 2) easy-peezy, or at least not that bad 3) me too :)

eddie_7 wrote:
did you mention the bonnet struts or did you manage to fix em? also forgot to give you those honda wheels when you came to pick up the car but doubt you would have much use for em anyway, will be great to see how its coming along and also to show my parents how the "piece of junk" according to them turns out :lol:

Whoops, forgot about those - got a broom handle holding the bonnet up! Will put them on my list.

Just sell the wheels on ebay matey, make some extra $$$ for your new car :) LOL@ your parents comment. I don't have them complaining, just a wife! 8-)

Cheers
RD

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Geeze Mate, did you score the correct colour bonnet and bumper? If so, well done!!!!

BenJ

Yup, right colour bonnet, bar, beaver panel and mirror! Bonus plus :)

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Score on the panels! DO you know where I can find a Dynamic White drivers mirror? Its impossible I swear.

Got pics of the Epic EL Rust? :D

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Little bit of progress....

The car is now in the backyard ready for work to be done, just needs a push backwards to get it into it's final resting place. I also took a trip up the freeway this morning and picked up the bonnet (with struts - yay!), front bar, mirror, beaver panel, 2 front guards, an air con compressor and a few other bits to chuck on the ole girl. Almost came away with some wheels but I controlled myself :) You gotta love wagons as I got all of the above in the back!

The kids are back to school as of Wednesday so I will tear into the car on the not so epic journey of getting it back on the road for Rach. She has a sudden total hatred of her EB S :)

Let the fun begin!

Cheers
RD

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 31  [ 463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next