Fordmods Logo

randy's XG van 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: randy's XG van
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

ill try to get picts up over the next few days.

atm, its a dead stock ex copper van, can still see the numbers on the roof in the right lighting 8-)
currently in the process of getting it ready to get a rwc,

so far:
straightened and semi resprayed. took out at least 30mm of bog above the drivers back wheel lol
front end completely overhauled, new everything.
dash loom repaired after being butchered by the previous owner
fixed broken drivers door mechanism, now i can unlock it with a key
fitted new throttle cable, now it revs past 3 grand. lol

needed:
new/rebuilt diff. very noisy. would i be correct in saying it has a 2.77 lsd? the tag says 2.77 and ive herd/read that vans came with lsds?
gas tank test. contemplating ripping the gas system out, but with me driving 100kms+ each day i think ill need it
windscreen
welsh plugs
exhaust from the cat back, more holes than metal left in it.
steering alignment
new ecu, or bem/smartlock module, sometimes cuts power to the starter when cranking and then wont start until i pull and reinsert the CRT lamp fuse
new headunit. not a kenwood. had to many bad experiences with them.

mods to come.
au motor/rebuilt motor, currently on 283xxxkms and has had a hard life.
shift kitted auto or maybe a t5 conversion
extractors. more than likely pacemakers
backyard port and cam. if i keep it auto maybe something with low to mid. if manual something with mid to top end.
decent CAI
j3 chip and tune
bullbar/decent driving lights, i do lots of night driving.
custom made bed with sliding toolbox draws underneath it. maybe. depends if i cbf drawing up plans for it

and more as i think of them.

not much work for alot of the guys one here but lots of work in front of me considering this is my first decent attempt at poking at a car. a nice steep learning curve considering i hadn't even changed and oil filter before i came to fordmods. lol. but you gotta start somewhere i guess. planning on have the van registered by end of june, but if my work keeps going the way its going i doubt its going to happen, nearly working 12 hour days and the boss wants us to start doing saturdays as well. :shock:

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Last edited by thatrandykid on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: randy's XG van
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Gidday.

Sounds like you have it planned out.

My advice is, as parts come up that you want at a price you are happy to pay, grab them, even if you just stick them away for now until you need them.

Looking foward to some pics.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

cheers.
also forgot to meantion i need a new drivers seat, someone decided to rip the headrest out of it at some stage of its life. :roll:
will have some pictures up tomorrow. depends if i get home in the daylight, lol.
stupid me didn't take pictures of when we did the bodywork, it looked like the cop's panel beater just rubbed it back a bit and bogged over the top of the dint and paint, in some patches there were several layers of bog and paint over the top of each other.

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

finally got some picts of it, got stuff all done on it today, the coil packed up and i had to change it. :evil:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

also need to straighten the sills, looks like its been lifted with a forklift at some stage, forgot to do them when it was sprayed and i only just noticed them again looking at these picts.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

time for an update, picked up some ea seats for free on Tuesday, bit dirty and ratty, but enough to pass rwc and last until i can find/afford something better.

hocked off the spare2.5 cat back i was going to fit. got 260 for it, which is enough for a 2.25 new sports, nice quiet note, no wet f@rt or droning.

getting the windscreen installed tomorrow morning. 155 inc supply and install, was expecting alot more than that.

finally got around to the welsh plugs, next time i think ill get a mechanic to do them. lol :evil:

all thats left is the gas tank and straighten the sills, then she'll be ready for roadworthy.

diff whine seems to.. idk.. change?
if i give it a bit of a squirt taking off from the lights up till 50k or so then back off, the whine disappears then slowly comes back. its either rooted, or it has low oil in it. if it has low oil in it its probably rooted anyway.

changed the headlight globes to a pair of the 4000k white ones, almost doubled the distance of the beams at night..

ordered some "clear" tail lights off ebay, they should be here monday. there the ones that have the clear blinker covers. hopefully theyll look alright on the car, i needed new ones anyway, the others were all cracked and s**t.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

time for an update, been flat out with work and moving house.. only been 6 months.

headgasket started weeping pressure into the cooling system and kept blowing all the coolant out, wasnt mixing oil though..

picked up a low km complete au motor for it, payed a bit much for it, but needed it asap..

about a month ago was driving home late one night, had some f**kwit in a silver ba/f come around a corner sideways onto a main road in the wet, i went bush to avoid t boning them, flattened a pole and a brick fence.
pretty major, took out the front crossmember thing underneath the radiator, and crushed the crumple zones.. been told its fixable, just gotta hack the front out of another xg and send it off to the panelbeaters and theyll straighten it all and weld the new bit in. but seeing its off the road, itll give me time to get some more stuff done to it.

au motor is nearly ready to drop in, complete with manifold, ive just gotta get an air con pump and shes good to go, just waiting on funds so i can get the front end fixed.

pics will be up soon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]