skidder's (soon to be less) ugly manual irs AU 

Page 8 of 9 [ 133 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post subject: Re: skidder's ugly manual irs AU
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Haven't gotten any closer to figuring out what is going on with the standard ecu that was in my car...

Anyway my camera is on the blink but took some photos today with my phone. Again on ebay I picked up some BA fairmont rims with tyres for cheap, best part being the two rears are close to new 255/40 RE05A's :D I wasn't sure but like the look on the car, should be good if I ever get around to putting springs in (sold the kings, now using Pedders).

Manual in.

Now I have 17's I think some brakes are in order...

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well it has been a while since I updated this thread. Have been towing a boat for the last few months so for the moment the pedders/kyb gear is still chilling in my garage.

After suffering a love tap on my front bumper have decided to do something about my ugly a** front end. All will be revealed in a few days with some pictures when the goodies arrive, but I have some questions for anyone who knows something about plastic welding (I have another thread in exterior section but don't think anyone looks in there haha).

1. Plastic welding - I am purchasing a variable temp soldering iron and have a blow torch I can use on low heat. After doing a bit of reading am going to take a crash course learning on the job approach with the soldering iron being used essentially like a tig welder. Does anyone have any further insight/advice?
2. Any recommended products to use for gluing plastic and as a primer for plastic (will be getting it professionally sprayed).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

With the ECU catch codes, isn't the last letter the software revision? I'm pretty sure thats the case, and that they sometimes will remark it with the later code after updating the software to show the new revision. So it was an F revision, then was flashed to a G.

I quite like the car, something different to all the XRs around. You need to get the suspension in though, I'm keen to see how it looks with the BA wheels.

I've done some very basic plastic welding with a very basic soldering iron, you will be fine. Only fixed up a few headlight mounts. Where do you get plastic stock to use as the "welding rod" though?

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yes I had assumed as much with the ecu codes. Maybe mine was one that had been reconditioned and retuned before it was put in my car (would explain why a gas tune originally?).

I have a scrap bar to use as the filler. I am feeling a bit better about it as have done a fair bit of reading today (mainly about fairing repairs on bikes). I guess I will be pretty good by the time the bar is done anyway. Mainly still looking for advice on products (glue and primer for plastics).

As for the springs, will probably put them in soon as my mate recently sold his boat. I figure even if I get a boat for next summer hopefully I should get away with the lowered springs (as don't ever tow it far). Since doing the manual conversion have been spending my money on my other hobbies so the car has taken a bit of a backseat :roll: After I get a new front might find some enthusiasm though...

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Good stuff.

You will find with the new suspension being stiffer and fresher that the car barely drops with a trailer on it, and will tow much nicer anyway. Might be different if you had it sitting on the bump stops with no suspension travel left.

I'm keen to see how you go with the plastic welding. It seems to be a little known art still.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks ash, still waiting on my bar to turn up :(

In the meantime, has anyone seen in person any of kurnell kustoms products? Considering getting a bonnet, but being fibreglass a little weary. I have a non genuine headlight on my car atm (getting a new genuine one put on when I get paint done on bar/bonnet) and the fit is shocking. 1 out of 4 bolt holes lines up and bonnet only just closes, as well as bezel having different angles to stock...

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

not to sure on that particular blokes bonnets but I know how you feel, I use to call aftermarket lights low quality fishbowls as they did nothing but keep water in, well mostly.
Always felt wrong about selling those, my rad support for my triton would probably have had as much chance fitting a barina. haha. :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Haha, yeah even as a temporary thing it pisses me off every time I look at the bezel inside the light.

Anyway my T1 te50 bar turned up this week and my last uni exam was yesterday, so hopefully after work tonight should get a chance to start sanding it back. I am still thinking I will give the plastic welding a go as the 3 cracks really are cracks (ie no plastic actually missing). Also picked up a wrecked series 1 front ticky lip last week (thanks 67rce). Now just have to figure out what I am going to do about a grille, as I don't like my chances of finding an OEM one...

EVL098 wrote:

Post subject: Re: skidder's (soon to be less) ugly manual irs AU
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Sorry about the crappy phone pic. This is when I picked it up the other day.

I started sanding it tonight and got about 1/4 almost back to primer. I was using 120 grit wet and dry (dry) as didn't want to go too a*** on the plastic. My hands are going to be fooked by the time I get through the whole bar though. I will get some better pics after I sand it back showing the damage.

More pics showing the cracks. How far should I sand it back? I am thinking back to plastic where the repairs will need to be done but does the rest have to go back to plastic or really just back to primer?

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

**edited due to stupid idea. Anyone with ideas for how to attack the grille please step to the mike.

Thanks Nick

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Discovered today that the tickford body kit parts are made of a different plastic to bumper bars (polyurethane). Anyone know what plastic it is?

I also discovered plastic welding is a lot f**k harder than normal welding. But I will prevail...

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

What filler material are you using? always have the centre section of my old front lip!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah I was going to use the centre section for the cracks on my bumper! I might have to get some proper filler or find a broken piece of my old bumper for the bumper though. f**k it isn't easy though, there was definately a lot of swearing coming from my place yesterday.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:
Yeah I was going to use the centre section for the cracks on my bumper! I might have to get some proper filler or find a broken piece of my old bumper for the bumper though. f**k it isn't easy though, there was definately a lot of swearing coming from my place yesterday.

If it doesn't sell, I have a damaged XR bar!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Haha, that thing needs to be repaired and used by someone though!

After today I think I will get it properly done. I got a bit better today but I think there will be a body count from frustration bursts before my skills are at the point I would fix the bar and be happy with it.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 9  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next