Fordmods Logo

The NF Fairlane build 

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: The NF Fairlane build
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Ok i just got some pics copied across to my computer so thought i'd show you guys what my new project is and keep you all updated on it's progress from start to whoa

She's a 95 model NF Fairlane Ghia with dark grey velour interior with all available options installed i believe

I only bought this car few days ago, 23rd December actually, and all i can tell you is it was in a terrible state having sit on old owners lawn for nearly a year not getting driven, washed or anything like that
I was nearly going to pass it in as it looked so bad sitting there nearly poo brown from dirt and leaves from one end of it to the other but i took it for a drive and was suprised that EVERYTHING worked, including the electric aerial !!!

So a deal was struck and i had the car home for a price just a little over the cost of what most people pay for years insurance these days, i was pretty pleased at latest purchase

Well first thing i did was give it a quick wash to try and get idea of what i had really bought, this was done within first 30 miins of ownership and let me tell you was i suprised!!
There is not 1 dent or scrape in this whole car, it would have to be the straightest 95 Fairlane i have EVER seen
I can tell you my friend and i were very suprised at how straight this car is, it's even straighter than his TL50 lol

Here's what we ended up with just after we washed it

As you can see there are quite few little chip marks around the car but overall in excellent condition for age

So the following day i went out and bought all new leads, oil, filters etc etc and gave the old girl a full service, apparently hadn't had one in over a year and half :(

As you can see in above pics the rear suspension was shagged so i went out and found some shocks to go with the Lovell springs we had laying around and boy did i find some for right price down at suspension shop
He had set of shortened KONI red adjustables sitting there 2nd hand for the rear so i snavelled them up quicker than an ethiopian with a McDonalds voucher
We already had some Monroe shortened hydraulic front struts laying around so we put these to good use also

I'm trying to get the suspension shop to sell me the front KONI's to match the rears he has there but might take me few weeks as doesn't really want to sell em.....YET!!! lol

Here's pic of the Lovell springs and KONI's

We also had set of XR8 alloys in Pre AU offset laying around doing nothing so decided we would put them to good use also, tyres aren't 100% though so may need to get couple more tyres in next month or two
That should last me out till i get set of EL GT style wheels for her anyway

So by 2:00am Christmas day this is the way we had the car looking in time to do the family rounds

The rear of the car sits little higher than front but this is exactly what i wanted as i have sound system getting installed in there soon so the weight of sub enclosures etc will bring the back down to around the same height as the front, making it look sweeeet :)
The fonts for anyone interested are super low Lovells and the rears are normal Lovells lowered springs, giving the exact look i was after, not too low and no 4x4 look
As it is now i am having trouble getting over speed bumps in complex i live in, must be time to move lol

Anyway there is lot more to be done on car, previous owners children snapped all the original woodtrim spears bar 1 on the passenger rear door and somehow managed to break off the veloured armrests from doortrims so looking around for some new door trims to fix both of these problems

There's lot more i could go on about like what's happening to car over next week or two but will just post pics once it's done and get your opinions

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Last edited by TickXR on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:46 am, edited 10 times in total.

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

nice little bargain you got yourself there mate.
i'm very keen to see what the outcome of this project will be

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

far out nice little pick up, by the way with regards to the padded armrests, what do you have left of them? as I'm chasing one, otherwise i do have a couple spares though?

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Kenay wrote:
nice little bargain you got yourself there mate.
i'm very keen to see what the outcome of this project will be

Cheers bud, thanks

Outcome will virtually be this:

Resprayed white looking for perfection
Get rest of suspension finished off
New brakes all way round
Fit sound system
Return interior to as new condition
Fit new EL GT style rims
Fit Raptor supercharger kit

This is pretty much all i want to do with the Lane, i am about to start building an old classic with my DART blocked windsor i have here so this is getting built as nice everyday streeter with lil bit of go

OZBMX wrote:
far out nice little pick up, by the way with regards to the padded armrests, what do you have left of them? as I'm chasing one, otherwise i do have a couple spares though?

The actual trim is in really good nick, it just has couple broken pieces that need replacing

I need the 2 front door spears, drivers rear spear, dash spear and drivers door padded armrest in grey velour
Well actually doesn't matter what colour really as i have original one for it but all clips that hold it to door are broken so can get trimmer to put grey fabric onto another base if needed

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Hmm well i have a drivers rear spear that I just need to get around to changeing it over.

Also have a spare drivers padded armrest, in grey.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 am 
Fordmods Junkie

looking good mate!

i am also interested in your progress

how many ks has she done?

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

well ill be keeping a close eye on this thread..
nice idea with the supercharger hehe
gassed up lane!!

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OZBMX - you have a PM

Kenay - my thoughts exactly bud, nice gassed up Lane sleeper lol

Post subject: Re: My NF Fairlane project, 56k beware
Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thought i'd post a bit of an update on the Lane as it's been a while.

Not much has changed on the Lane so to speak but i have been accumulating parts.

The only thing i have done so far is replace all the brakes with new rotors and bendix ultra pads, only did this today actually as brakes just got down to metal last week so had to be done (i'm a slacko lol).

Interior hasn't changed yet, did have set of spears lined up but deal went bad with wreckers in Sydney stuffing me around so one day i will end up sourcing a set and finally getting car down to detailers for complete shampoo and detail inside out.

Hopefully will be getting the pacemakers and 2.5" exhaust fitted over the next week or two, Just need to arrange with PIMP a time to drop these pieces off to me so can get started on them.

I have sourced an EF XR6 head, cam and computer that i will be getting cleaned up and fitted to motor with an AU headgasket to bump the compression a bit and help out in the performance area. I have also sourced the diff out of the XR6 as well so soon will have a 3.45 LSD fitted to.
(just need to go remove these parts from the donor car now and get fitted to the Lane lol I told you i was a slacko).
Actually thinking i may build new motor for the Lane as i will have a spare AU motor in my possession in next few months so thinking of waiting to get this and rebuild first and then bolt the EF XR6 head to it. Think this might be best option as then no need to worry about motors health as i'll know she's good as gold.

That's it for now, she's a slow project but my finances are tied up with another project that i'm building so progress on this one will be slow.

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well how things change hey....lol

Car is now taking on a different route as i just purchased a new heart for it

Will post better pics when i pick it up over next couple days

Yepp she's now getting a VCT transplant :mrgreen:

Picked it all up complete with power steering pump, air conditioning pump, alternator, computer, loom etc etc etc
Should make the transplant a piece of cake with all the AU brackets etc

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Nice. That should make it a bit more lively.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Let's hope so Ben lol

Going to see if i can adapt the AU's computer into the car to run everything as well, will be a bit of a challenge

Forgot to mention that motor only has around 90k on it, came out of rolled AU Ghia so motor is pretty much just run in :)
Gearbox pan is damaged so will be unbolting the trans and sending off to be checked over, serviced and fitted up with new pieces as required (pitty she's only a 4 spd but)

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I was wondering when someone on here would snap that engine and box up. I've been watching it for a few weeks. that's a very cheap buy there, well done!!

Has it been on there for couple weeks?

Haha my flatmate only found it couple days ago and told me about it.
As for price yeah, i still can't believe i got it for the price i did, would have to be one of cheapest VCT's in history :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane Ghia project, VCT is here!!!
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just went and picked the VCT motor up so now i have it here about to start pulling brackets and accessories off to give her a clean up before being installed.

Will send box off to be looked at in next couple days, hopefully will be easy fix as it has only travelled around 90k

Just about to unload it from trailer and head out and pick up some interior pieces i have sourced to clean up the interior a lil

Will post up pics after i get back this afternoon

I have question for VCT guys though, since i have the series 1 VCT motor and computer, can i source a VCT series 1 wiring loom and just bolt this all in as the series 1 had smart lock as well? I know the computer will need to go to Ford to be reprogrammed to work with my BCM so just wondering if this is an option

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane Ghia project, VCT is here!!!
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

you bloody copy cat..... lol.

how much did you say you got the VCT for?

as for wiring up the AU ecu, its not that easy. if it was I would have done it that way myself. the BBM loom has a different main wiring connector wich you will need to cut and solder in the fairlane one to, and in order to do that you will need wiring diagrams for both cars. The ECU would not need to be reprogrammed for anything the only thing the ecu and the BEM have in common Is smartlock. you may need to change the pinouts where the ECu plugs in and thats it.

Josh

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next