Fordmods Logo

The TE50 Epic Update time!! 

Page 6 of 16 [ 238 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

Post subject: Re: The TE50 Has arrived
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:22 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Old Rotors off

New rotors on. hello new 330mm genuines... Goodbye ventilated warped solids and crappy pads. Oh backed these up with QFM pads will report on opinions when a few kay are on them.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

I think the calipers might need a bit of a touch up, just not 100% sure on best way to tidy them up, I don't want to polish or paint them, just clean em up, Brake cleaner did not work on them too well, I figure that nastyness is somewhat baked on.

Suggestions? steel wool? soft wire brush? swearing at it?

I took a page from TerroristGhias book, it appears that it will not hammer off either..

Really though, I want to tidy them up, but keep the unpainted tidy look.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Might be worth phoning VG auto paints and see of they sell the cleaner for calipers separate from the caliper paint kit.
http://wwwvgautopaints.rtrk.com.au/?sci ... kw=4070695

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
I think the calipers might need a bit of a touch up, just not 100% sure on best way to tidy them up, I don't want to polish or paint them, just clean em up, Brake cleaner did not work on them too well, I figure that nastyness is somewhat baked on.

Suggestions? steel wool? soft wire brush? swearing at it?

I took a page from TerroristGhias book, it appears that it will not hammer off either..

Really though, I want to tidy them up, but keep the unpainted tidy look.

I took a page from TerroristGhias book,---page 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: stainless steel wire brush and elbow grease or a rotary 1 for a drill,paint them red-easier to clean the dust off,bling factor.are they alumium or cast,could be powder coated or 2 pac-is it grime or silver?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

they appear to be enamel white. I didn't have any cleaning products on hand at 4am when I started this at work, I want something non abrasive as I may be able to keep the factory finish on them, I have a feeling they are cast as they have the tickford logo on the face.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
they appear to be enamel white. I didn't have any cleaning products on hand at 4am when I started this at work, I want something non abrasive as I may be able to keep the factory finish on them, I have a feeling they are cast as they have the tickford logo on the face.

try crc brake cleaner with a stiff nylon brush,looks like my el gts.new specs soon,may help

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:11 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

try crc brake cleaner with a stiff nylon brush,looks like my el gts.new specs soon,may help

thanks Hans, I think you may find this useful and relevant when it comes to your EL gt's.

These calipers a re very different mate, they are actually C2 calipers, not EL Gt's I've had both now and they vary alot, the caliper is bigger, bigger pad and larger mater cylinder.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
hans hartman wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

thanks Hans, I think you may find this useful and relevant when it comes to your EL gt's.

These calipers a re very different mate, they are actually C2 calipers, not EL Gt's I've had both now and they vary alot, the caliper is bigger, bigger pad and larger mater cylinder.

yeh,i seen the difference,stll based on the 330x28 disc x twin piston configuration,ticky badged.parts sizes may vary,only got the snap to look at,did the crc work?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

With regard to the calipers. If you can have the car off the road for a couple days ( or get some spares ) and have them ceramic coated silver. Would look horn. I would've done my ones on the Mav, but didnt have time, as i needed the brakes fixed for rego'......

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:54 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Quick update, my gearbox has gone south on me. seems I have misplaced reverse gear somwhere. Since i have looked everywhere and still cannot find it... time for a gearbox rebuild. I know its only one of a few things that be the culprit, ie band, clutch pack or servo, but since I have no idea on the overall condition of the box I will be getting it completly rebuild. That way I have a known good box.

Freds auto's will be doing the job, A customer at work has got them to look after me. I dropped my customers name to him as a referal, got a good price. In turn my customer called Freds, who in turn rang me back again and gave me a better price again!

Plus,

24 Month and UNLIMITED kays warranty. Not bad, considering I have already pumped 5500km into it since picking it up!

BUT, I want to offer a quick thanks to others who have given me leads to other Auto mech's as well, All the refered people really knew their stuff with these boxes. I did take it to a place around the corner from work to get a quote, $3800, Talked him down to $3600, still well over double what I was quoted by anyone with ½ a clue that actually wanted to do the job.

The box will be getting built with kevlar HD bands and an increased band on reverse, as this is also kickdown. New stallie will be going in, just a standard one. it will stop me getting stupid ideas in my head that I may want to race it or put an overly agressive cam in it.

UNFORTUNATELY, It WAS going to be getting a cam and a tune in late January, I had 2 weeks annual leave booked in to do it all as well, but the demise of the box has seen it more important to spend that allocated money on repairing the box. :cry:

So back in the Anal Probe until at least tuesday right now, possibly even wednesday. not a bad car in itself, but not in the same league as the other. Still free car to borrow is nothing to sneeze at.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:26 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

So the TE has been dropped at the trans mechanics, for $1700, I am getting a complete rebuild, a trans cooler and new stally. Pretty damn good price, I think you would struggle to get a I6 box rebuilt with a trans cooler and stally at that price. Was initally quoted ALOT more, but I name dropped and a mate of mine in the industry also called in a favour. big savings!

Should be back tomorrow or wednesday morning.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

car came home today, with all forward and reverse gears!

Also, air con now works thanks to FTG sending me a fan speed controller, floor mat stays in one spot to thanks to Ash sending floor plugs. Things are looking up. and I am staying cool!

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
Good stuff, Dave!

How's it drive with the new box? Any noticeable differences? Apart from having all the gears or course :lol:

Much smoother in the changes, I am now almost certain the box had a small amount of slip almost everywhere previously. In the ESS mode, the shifts are crisper both up and down. I now have 4 speeds forward and one in revers compared o 4 forward park and 2 neutral gears. A trans cooler was also installed, not so I can push it around, more so I could be confident that the trans is separate from the rad incase I ever suffer a radiator failure. its a falcon, its inevitable.

Pads are being changed again tomorrow, something with better feel than the QFM's, I've run em before on the e series with no issues, but they just feel a bit vague. Pads are so damn cheap for 330mm rotors!

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF GT, EL Xr, Xp mont, 4runner

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

any more word on whats happening with the car ?

84 4runner.......needs boost
El xr6.....needs dohc boost
Xp fairmont......needs boosted 8
Bf GT......cant afford boost no more

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:25 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Ah, yeah... I am looking at a case of WIN with Shannons and the RTA, due to a twit hitting me, and shannons writing off the car....

BUT, because its a limited build and is not structurally damaged, I can get it repaired and inspected and documented by an authorised smash repairer. It can be removed from the register. I can repair it for less than the pay out amount was, SO it looks like an impromtue project it being hatched. So within the next few days I will have word from the assesors and the RTA and Project "Legit Rebirth" may begin. once the drivers door is removed I will know the full extent of the damage, but it appears to be very limited to drivers guard, driver door, headlight Mirror and bar (already repaired) Finding a smashie who is prepared to undergo the project with me and sign off on progress is the other side of the coin. But I am hoping a few phone calls will yield positive results, right now it all hinges on the damage assesment from the assesor. If he lists significant structural damage project "legit Rebirth" ends before it began.

So, I will hopefully be hunting for, Bonnet and headlight, I appear to have had luck sourcing the bulk of the other required parts.

Until I get the go ahead to proceed, I will not be posting ANY photos on the forums, but when approved, I will detail the process I underwent to have the car removed from the register and the ensuing steps to completion and re-registration,

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 16  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next