Fordmods Logo

The Ute.Going slowly but any progress is good! 

Page 4 of 26 [ 379 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next

Post subject: Re: The Ute.
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well anyway after much stuffing around with wheels I actually decided to buy the Black set of Snypers off BenJ.
I honestly could not find a set of 17's that would have suited the ute. Nothing that was available really tickled my fancy. I know one day Ill wind up having to go down the 17" path but hopefully by that time I will financially in a position to go and blow the coin on a set of simmons.That would make me happy.

Anyway here is what I got up to this afternoon.
Take one of these

Throw on a couple of coats of Selleys quick strip , give them a scrap and a wash and you coem up with this

They still need another coat of stripper to get off a few left over stubbon bits of old paint and clear coat but they are coming up quiet good I think. I was originally going to spray the wheels white so they were colour coded as was the early 90's craze but upon stripping them I found they are actually machine polished on the faces. So I will now mask them up properly and paint the sides of the spokes either gloss black or charcoal , then get out the sandpaper and remove a few scratches and marks and give them a good hit with the purple.
Im going to make the local tyre guys life miserable tomorrow afternoon. I will be getting him to chase up a new set of wheel centres to suit , a new set of chrome nuts and some rubber. Either 245/50 or 255/50 16 for the rear and 225/50 16 for the front.
While I am there I will get some better tyres I have here put on a pair of the Hurricanes and them put back on the car and have the tyres stripped off the other 2 16" rims so I can strip and paint them.
The plan is to have them all done and the tyres fitted and on the car by Friday afternoon at the latest so I can bring them out to Liverpoo Friday night. Then I might just give the Hurricanes a quick squirt and a polish and throw them on ebay for a laugh to see what I get for them. A really stuffed set went for $87 the other night without any tyres at all. You never know with the old retro craze taking off a tidy set with good tyres might swing me a couple of hundred. I would laugh so hard if they did. I cant believe people buy this kind of stuff!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hey, they came up really good.

I look forward to seeing how they look in person on Friday.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

ashcook wrote:
Was there any damage to your ute after it was attempted to be stolen? I keep an axe handle next to my bed for that very reason.

hope your ute ok,xd-xf's are the only model i've seen a bloke start with auto dip stick quicker then using the key..my cars a got an alarm,in a shed out of sight and 30kg back up alarm with big teeth lol

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Well done, they don't even look like the same wheels.

Was there any damage to your ute after it was attempted to be stolen? I keep an axe handle next to my bed for that very reason.

Thanks mate Im hoping the wheels come up ok.

Nah no real damage to the ute. Just the standard mark under the door handle from where they gained access. It may of already been there before hand but. What XE XE XF doesnt have this feature?
Found the bit of metal very similar to the bottom of a dipstick in the ignition barrel and the stereo half pulled out. I dare say they couldnt get the barrel to turn with only a short bit of metal so they decided to just get the stereo and then bailed when the missus and dogs disturbed them.
Cant believe it but. My old man has his 351 4 speed XD Fairmont Wagon pinched a couple of my old XD's have walked but at least we had owned them for more then a week before someone had a go!
Oh well these things happen. Just need to put measures in place to stop it. It gets parked up with the somewhat angry Doberman and the Red Cattle dog nowdays.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

All the wheels have now been paint stripped and pressure washed. Tyres are ordered and centre caps have been located.
The time for big wheels on the ute is drawing nearer!!!!
Tossing up whether to paint the rims and get the tyres fitted Friday or just go down tomorrow arvo and have the tyres fitted and paint the rims on the weekend.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
All the wheels have now been paint stripped and pressure washed. Tyres are ordered and centre caps have been located.
The time for big wheels on the ute is drawing nearer!!!!
Tossing up whether to paint the rims and get the tyres fitted Friday or just go down tomorrow arvo and have the tyres fitted and paint the rims on the weekend.

Pics???

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

You stole my second set of wheels you bugger! :) The ole ute is going look the goods once those go on......

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i think those rims would look good just with the polished finished.???.
but its up to you of course...

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

XR-Lane wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Hmmm, I have the Black 16 x 8 ROH Snypers sitting around here doing nothing in particular. For the right price, I may let them go.

Thought I would add some complexity to your pondering.

BenJ

Hey if you dont like black, you could always get the paint stripper to them and get them polished, but then again for the money getting them polished you could always buy other rims lol.

Josh

EVL098 wrote:
All the wheels have now been paint stripped and pressure washed.

Looks like you took my idea on board after all mate, they came up alright.

Sorry to here someone tried to steal the ute mate, at least you had the alarm on it. Bastards!

Hows that new stereo sound mate?

Josh

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its a bit dark to get pics of them all. They pretty much look like the pic in the last page.
Its only going to be the side of the spokes and the return painted. The polished front will stay.
I hope it looks good when it comes out of the wash.

The stereo is pretty sweet Josh. But as per always there is always room for improvement!

xr6turnip wrote:

Post subject: Re: The Ute. New wheels on!
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I got the wheels fitted this afternoon. I really wanted to wait until I had polished them upa nd painted the recess on the spokes but seeing as though I am still trying to decide whether to paint the return either black , charcoal or silver and the fact that with the cold weather and damp nights we are having at the moment I would have been pushing to have any paint dry correctly I decided to just get them fitted up and polish and paint them later. I will jsut remove one wheel at a time , sand , mask and paint. The rims can be polished on the car.

Its certainly growing on me the look.
It just now is screaming out for a drastic reduction in ride height!
I have put the 225/50 thats come with the rims on the front and got a set of 245/50 Falkens for the rear. It fills the guards fairly well , but there is enough clearance so Im not scraping when I am getting firewood etc.
Still have a few things to finish off on the wheels ,get the centre caps sorted etc but it is getting there.
Will be painting the trims and window surrounds this weekend in readiness for the windows to be tinted next Thursday.
Happy days here!

Im in the market for a ZL Fairlane on the cheap now too. Basically I want from the B pillar forward to do a full Fairlane conversion into the ute. If you know of anything in NSW please let me know!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Lookin' good! You're right though, needs to be lower now. Reckon the blackening of the wheel bits will set it off nicely!

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Looks good mate, But I like them just the way they are :) but cant wait to see how they turn out.

Josh

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys.
Yeah RD it looks a bit like the Mav at the moment. Way too much ground clearance.

Dont worry Josh the wheels when finished wont look too different to what they do now. They will just look more finished.
Hopefully I should be able to get some pics of the new dash for you within the next couple of days. Im just waiting on it to show up!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Me and Dad are planning on doing the diff mods and swapping the diffs over sometime int he next couple of weekends so I now need an EA-ED Wagon handbrake cable as well.
If anyone has one or comes across one on their parts hunting missions can you let me know or grab it for me and let me know?

xr6turnip wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 26  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next