Fordmods Logo

The Ute.Going slowly but any progress is good! 

Page 1 of 26 [ 379 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

Post subject: The Ute.Going slowly but any progress is good!
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well here it is. I thought I would have to look long and hard for a good ute at a reasonable price.
Some how the first one we looked at was it.

Its a 1992 XF 4.1 5 Speed. Single spinner. Air and power steer.
It was advertised for $2k and after a bit of haggling we got it for $1600. Its a few hundred more then I wanted to pay but to get one already with a manual and for the body to be as clean as it is , I really couldnt think for too long about it.
All the standard XD XE XF cancer traps were checked. Up in the scuttle , front pillars , sills , roof pans. Either it is factory clean or if it has been bogged up the worlds best bog magician has been hard at work. Not a ripple , a mark and all the factory stampings are there.
It had the factory issued faults of a broken passenger door handle and and stuffed door hinge pins in the drivers side. I fixed the door handle today. I need to get some pin and bush kits fit the hinges.
Before too long the fully retro 80's Hurricane mags have to go. My old man and missus reckon they look cool but I hate them with a passion. No idea on what wheels I want for it yet. The requirement for them is they have to look tough on it , preferably with a bit of dish. They have to be a size that you can still get tyres for easy. So all the good old 14x8 12 slots , dragways etc are out.
They also have to be fairly cheap.
Let me know if you have something you think might be suitable or if you know of something!

The front nudge bar is soon to be evicted!

I need to chase up a tonneau cover pretty quick. I have seen them on evilbay , but I need to find a centre support bar. Has anyone been to PNP lately and know if they have any utes down there? I really need the bar. I will try and chase this up tomorrow.
Windows will be tinted before too long and the door frames painted black.

Ultimate plans are to come up with a unit thats fun to drive , is good enough for a run down the cross on a Saturday night , can hold its own at a traffic light battle but I can use to pickup firewood , head to the tip , take the dogs for a drive etc. Basically an allrounder.

I sort of want a vehicle that is reminisent of the 80's tuff Falcons (thats where my passion started and has never really wained for the old X series) but also has moved with the times a bit.
I have a lot of thinking to do about the driveline and such. I have to weigh up the pros and cons between having a Clevo and a Wheezer. Either way it will require an engineers ticket so I just need to take my time , think it through and do whats going to give the best result.
So I think it will end up with a set of 16's at a minimum on it.
I have a few ideas floating around , but it wont be a quick project. I am skating on very thin ice at home at the moment with my cars. All the stuffing around , tooing and throughing , money and time wasted and s**t all over the place as of late has taken its toll. This car is a keeper no matter what we might find with it but things wont be happening over night.

The first couple of little mods happened today as I was cleaning up and working out what to keep and what to ditch. I will take some pics tomorrow of them once I have cleaned them up.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Last edited by Matt_jew on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Ute.
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

looks good base to start off with.Is it a t5 or just single rail in it..i reckon you turbo the 4.1 that will wake it up :P

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its a T5 mate.
Dont you start on the turbo 4.1 as well. :lol:
My brother is already chopping into me about it. He is a firm believer that a turbo 4.1 is going to go bloody hard and be nice and docile to run around in.
He reckons I have rocks in my head for even thinking V8.
But what would he know? He drives a VS SS 5.0..........................

He might have a point but. Even with it screaming out for a good tune and totally bog stock it goes pretty well at the moment.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Tidy looking XF ute mate, Ash will like this one. Will that V8 you have go in this one?

Josh

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Tidy looking XF ute mate, Ash will like this one. Will that V8 you have go in this one?

Josh

Dunno Josh. Taking things slow at the moment and sorting heaps of stuff not even remotely connected out. Something with the motor will definately happen but what and when I cant answer.

Does anyone know if I can fit the LSD hemisphere from my old EB LSD into the XF centre? Im thinking about oulling both , fitting the XF crown wheel to the LSD and slipping it in?
Will it fit between the two centres? I reckon it will both being borgys but Id like someone to confirm my suspecions.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I've got a xf s pac 4spd lpg fair body on it and a mint low km xe wagon and have been thinking of doing somethink with the wagon like tubs and turbo..if you want a tacho dash xf dash let me know i've got a few and lpg set up out of another sedan i had too..

You should get it looking good in no time from what i seen you do with the mont..

phill

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ed xr6, r33 skyline

NSW, Australia

nie ute dude.looks like a beast :)

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EVL098 wrote:
Does anyone know if I can fit the LSD hemisphere from my old EB LSD into the XF centre? Im thinking about oulling both , fitting the XF crown wheel to the LSD and slipping it in?
Will it fit between the two centres? I reckon it will both being borgys but Id like someone to confirm my suspecions.

the xf diff is 25 spline,eb is 28 spline.I'd get a xg ute diff (3.27),tail shaft and fit the limo up in it

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

taxi 5L wrote:
I've got a xf s pac 4spd lpg fair body on it and a mint low km xe wagon and have been thinking of doing somethink with the wagon like tubs and turbo..if you want a tacho dash xf dash let me know i've got a few and lpg set up out of another sedan i had too..

You should get it looking good in no time from what i seen you do with the mont..

phill

Cheers mate.
Is it a standard analogue tacho dash or the digital star wars one? If its analogue can you chuck up a pic of it when you get a chance? I cant remember what a XF analogue tacho dash looks like.DOH!
Will be very interested in the LPG setup in a little bit. Let us know what you have and what you want for it.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

taxi 5L wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

the xf diff is 25 spline,eb is 28 spline.I'd get a xg ute diff (3.27),tail shaft and fit the limo up in it

Well that sucks some serious nuts. I didnt even think of the earlier diffs being 25 spline. Now you mention it I remember.
I might have to pull the axles on the weekend and compare them to the EB axles length wise and bearing wise. See if it will go together that way.
I can also look then and see if the EB rear disc setup is going to go even close to fitting.
If all that draws a blank and the housing are roughly the same length looks like Ill be getting the grinder and welder out and putting a set of leaf spring perches onto the EB diff.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

IIRC the XF Tacho clusters have the tacho in the same style as the speedo, with the bar that slides up.

How long till this ones up for sale? :P

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SLO247 wrote:

How long till this ones up for sale? :P

In short answer to that question a bloody long time unless the missus needs to get a kidney transplant or something. Difference between this one and the last pile of s**t is that this one is actually worth keeping and doing things too.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Looks good mate, nice find and well done on getting a manual for that money. How much rent is on it? Ute regos are a pain, bloody grand no matter what you do. You got to be happy with white as well, always look clean. And a grey interior, much better than the earlier brown models. Very tidy, well done!

Thanks Ash. Yeah Im happy with it.
It has 3 months rent on it. Rego on a ute is a bloody ripoff aint it. I remember years ago the green slips used to be half the price on a ute then for a sedan. So much for that goodness.
More freight would have been nice but to get a latish model XF manual with 12 months on it in the same condition I reckon it would of cost me a fair bit more then the $750 9 months rego is worth.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for reminding me. I have to ring the LPG rebate people up and find out what month this year Im eligable to claim again!
I shall do that now!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

12th of October. Thats works well and is fitting in with my plans nicely :mrgreen:

xr6turnip wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 26  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next