Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 72 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Got the bottom piece designed and pretty much welded up... The screen didn't fit initially... The steel box it mounts to with an interface circuit board inside has 4 tabs to mount it to the plastic facia and it hangs to one side more than the other to allow room for the sniffy sensor... The sniffy sensor doesn't fit and other side was too long... So I had to cut those tabs off and then weld some plate into the box so I use the original M3 set screws still to hold the two halves together and then roughly mount it and weld metal tabs to the box for the top and bottom mounting points as well as plastic mounting points to the inside of the bottom facia...

The black texta line is where the extra piece I added to the gear stick surround sits... I had to lose the pocket... Run into lack of space plus it was going to be impossible to paint the insides of it... Have since filled in the 6 holes for the bottom buttons and the top hole for the IR emitter...

Now it just needs some TLC... Will look good once it finished off...

Also went into the local Ford dealer to check out a locally sold GT-F

That's her for now...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Last edited by TimmyA on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Little close on the BF Double DIN hu... Basically ready for high fill now... Just going to mount it up one last time and make sure I have all the required clearances still...

And started roughing in another one into my brother's ED this arvo... Because they are short I can tilt the headunit into the dash to help prevent glare and give a better angle to the driver... The top is 35mm back with the bottom level with the front of the ash tray... Similar angle to the screen fully tilted on my appradio 3 but it pokes out at the base...

By the time it's done it should look the goods... Fair bit of buggerising around because the original front shape around the pocket... But we'll get there...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Should mention too... Still need to find somewhere to mount the sniffy motor...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:07 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1994 ford fairmont ED

WA, Australia

3 days on and off I finally finished your thread haha.

Good job on the car, lots of little things I would never of thought of doing.

How do you find the AU upper arm adapters?

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks for reading... Lot of s**t in here but the odd occasional thing... I mostly post because I'd forget what I've done or how I've done it...

I reckon the arms are fantastic... Mostly put them because the car wondered in a straight line... Make loads of difference and seems to be wearing tires ok... I'm happy... TI performance sell them now...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Hey Tim, how does that little sub perform? i've been thinking about something like that for the Scooby doo because I don't want to fill up the boot with sound equipment again lol.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

It would have been fantastic if I could have gotten it under the seat where I wanted it... It is a little undersized to be mounted in the boot... It's good up to a medium volume and then it runs out puff... I was never going to take up boot space and all having one in the parcel tray did was rattle... Sounded horrible...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Under the seat would be perfect. I will have to do some measuring before I commit.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I got some AU adaptors as well (I got my own made though) and they're fantastic.
It really helps the car feel more stable through corners.
I was surprised how much it changed it.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah they make a 10" version too... It was similar power but and was definitely too large... So I ended up buying the 8 in hope and it would have been good if it weren't for the large bulge in the floor pan where the front of the seat is in the ED...

And I agree with MAD's perspective too... Between these and the HD swaybars my car is so flat through the corners at speed... Feels fantastic, until you hit a corrugated corner anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:44 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Double Post

Last edited by TimmyA on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:44 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

It's together properly for the first time... All the wiring in to the bottom screen (cable from the main board and cable to the heater buttons)... USB extension leads are in... Just need to sort out microphone placement and wiring now and it's done... Got some stuff ordered from overseas... Trying to find the plugs that will work (2.5mm phone plug with 4 contact rings in right angle) wasn't easy... But got there in the end...

Will have to revisit this but before painting... In assembling the bits into it I cracked the high fill worst below the Parrot from the sides into the top corners of the heater buttons and much much smaller above the Parrot into the top corners of it... Needs more plastic than original maybe because the headunit is heavier... Hopefully didn't upset the bog too much... I'll sand the high fill down when I strip it again, weld some plastic in behind in various fashions to add rigidity to it and then high fill and wet and dry again... Bit of a bastard but anyway... It'll be fine once it's in the car but I have to be able to handle it too...

Unless there is another way someone who is more handy with this can suggest?

This weekend will be a test weekend if I can secure the gear to program the new ICC in and then the old one back...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Dudes,

Got it in and other than not properly plugging in the heater controls it nearly all works first go... Only non functional thing is the illumination on the heater controls... Quite possible I got the LED polarity wrong and only needs a wire swap...

Had some troubles getting the playstore to work on the asteroid for the sygic gps upgrade... Brother worked out how to root it and get playstore working in the end...

Things left now is to brace the top facia more to avoid the high fill cracking again and hopefully the paint... Mount the sniffy motor for the climate (which I have an idea for at last)... And finish the surround around the gear stick and sand the drinks holder and then get it all painted... Oh and still need to mount the bluetooth mic and route the cable...

Only other drama is the colour screen mounted at this level is wrong for the polarisation of the LCD and it appears dark... Another bit higher or lower and it would have been fine... I need someone with the large black and white screen to tell me if the screen goes dark if you get on a bad angle? I may need to ditch the colour screen and pick up a black and white one if someone has one?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

That looks awesome, top work!!!

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers man...

Looks like the black and white screens may not be a simple swap over? The large black and white screen appears to be similar to the small black and white screen where there is no plug at the screen end, it is hard wired... This will upset my system as I need to unplug that screen as it is a separate system...

Anyone got any photos they can send me of a large B/W screen? Not sure how to fix this polarising issue...

Does anyone remember seeing a thread about upgrading the large B/W screen to the colour one with differences highlighted? Can't remember if I saw something or not...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 72 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 78  Next