Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: The Patrol.
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: boonga ute

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
stalker wrote:
yer there not legal... but they get you places that smaller tires done. also cause less damage when going places.

That is a discussion I choose not to get into.
At most i'd go 285/75R16

had 33"s before, was holding me back. always ended up with more speed/ wheel spin.. not good dig holes etc not what you want. the bigger just crawl over at a slower speed no excess speed less parts brake.

its all personal choice though and depends what you will be doing with it, people keep asking how my tires go on sand as around here alot head to beach's around robe etc. i make sure they understand they are not at all suited and wouldnt get them anywhere except to china

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gab1 wrote:
Will the diesel bolt straight in with no mods?

Gab

Engine mounts are in the same spot.
You need a diesel radiator and hoses and a diesel bell housing.
Also need to fit a diesel tacho.

Some people change the wiring harness over but that means dash out. The petrol harness can make the diesel engine work with enough left over plugs to run relays for things like the thermo fan conversion.
I still need to check the wiring diagrams to be sure the tacho will work, but that can wait. the basics are there like oil pressure light/gauge, charge light ect.

I have to have it running and ready for rego by the end of Saturday. Then get the rego done on Monday and a few days of driving it to work and I'll detour through some off road stuff on the way home on Tuesday then it pack it up for Easter camping trip on Wednesday and leave Thursday morning

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

stalker wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
stalker wrote:
yer there not legal... but they get you places that smaller tires done. also cause less damage when going places.

That is a discussion I choose not to get into.
At most i'd go 285/75R16

had 33"s before, was holding me back. always ended up with more speed/ wheel spin.. not good dig holes etc not what you want. the bigger just crawl over at a slower speed no excess speed less parts brake.

its all personal choice though and depends what you will be doing with it, people keep asking how my tires go on sand as around here alot head to beach's around robe etc. i make sure they understand they are not at all suited and wouldnt get them anywhere except to china

Peoples inability to drive and choose the right line is well masked with big tires.
I have nothing further to add to the tire size discussion.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Spot the difference

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Diesel primer and filter for starters.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Got the engine bolted in tonight. Then started looking at adding in the glow system to petrol wiring harness.
The starter wiring plugs straight in.
The charge wiring needs to be extended to the other side of the engine.
Oil pressure light/gauge plugs straight in.
I can use the idle cut off solenoid power from the carby to turn on the injector pump solenoid. ( with a little cut and shut it will plug in)
The electric choke power can be used to switch on my low speed radiator fans.

I think for now i'll just fit the glow relay with a momentary switch and worry about the glow controller later as the dead line is looming.

The tacho should be straight forward, The diesel has an extra wire, But it only needs to be added in to one side of the engine revolution sensor and connect the tach wire from the coil neg to the other side of the sensor. Then fit the cluster from the diesel. Again this is not essential and I will probably leave this to a late date.

Still need to the power steering pump and lines and the clutch and brake master cyls from the old truck, again these have been replaced already in the last few years.
Need to wire in the thermo fans and fit up the rest of the cooling system.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Shot of the engine sitting in it's new home.

Couple of shots of the new exhaust system. This was meant to be finished tonight, but I ran out of straight tube and there are no tube suppliers open at 8:30pm.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Tonight I got some wiring done.

The stater from the petrol had a 1 wire plug for the solenoid and the diesel one had an eye with a screw, So I cut off the wire and plug from the petrol and crimped and eye terminal and fitted it to the starter, It's plug and play with out cutting the harness.
The alternator wiring was extended over the engine and spliced into the petrol harness.
The coolant temp wire was extended.
The wire that used to run the idle shut off was shortened and the plug added from the diesel harness and now powers up the injector pump.
I also stripped all the conduit from the petrol harness and as things were either shortened/extended/re-routed ect the wires were tapped in place and will be covered in new conduit.

All the research I did had everyone saying that you are better off removing the whole dash from both and swapping the wiring harness over. I honestly believe this would be more time consuming that adapting the petrol harness to suit the needs of the diesel engine and gauge cluster.

Exhaust system is also done.
Clutch and brake master cyls have been swapped over (praying the clutch and brake boosters will work or i'll have to change those over tomorrow as well.)
Power steering is done and radiator is in. Also took the time tonight to fill diff, gear box ect with oil and button up a few nuts and bolts that I have intentionally left loose

This is the end result of a about 30mins and a handful of crimp terminals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcxfUA8k ... e=youtu.be

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Updates and late photo additions

Exhaust after welding.

Got some wheels on today. Bled the brakes and clutch, flushed the cooling system, and bunch of other stuff.
This is how the wheels sit with the 15mm radius arms spacers

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Rebuilt patrol in a month
That is all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYx2y0xm4vk

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Massive thanks go to:
Josh (GRPABT1) for all the help unbolting and bolting s**t
My apprentice Tim for all the after hours work with out complaining or asking for O/T
My dad for putting up with me making a mess of the workshop and his help today changing over all the door locks and handles and for sorting out all the link rods and latches so that I know have doors that open and close like the day it left the show room floor.

And last to Simon, Jason and the boys at Townsville Gearbox Reconditioning. The gearbox shifts perfectly.

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Massive thanks go to:
My apprentice Tim for all the after hours work with out complaining or asking for O/T
My dad for putting up with me making a mess of the workshop and his help today changing over all the door locks and handles and for sorting out all the link rods and latches so that I know have doors that open and close like the day it left the show room floor.

And last to Simon, Jason and the boys at Townsville Gearbox Reconditioning. The gearbox shifts perfectly.

probably because if he asked, he'd get his a** fired :lol:

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WILDEB wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Massive thanks go to:

probably because if he asked, he'd get his a** fired :lol:

Haha, He gets it if it's for working on customers cars. But every time I needed a hand with something he pretty much just did it.

Post subject: Re: The Patrol. Rebuild in a month
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Oh and thanks Dansedgli. when I was looking for GQ wring diagrams I found a post you had made on some random forum that linked to myswag.com with a PDF of the genuine workshop manual.

Post subject: Re: The Patrol. Rebuild in a month
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

More on the build. I have paid all my bills from last month, So it's on for round two.

First on the list, Braided line for the oil pressure gauge, and wait for the temp gauge to come.
It's well known that the factory gauges in these patrol are not all that accurate.
So I've got some Auto meter Sport-comp 2 1/6" Boost pressure, Oil pressure and metric coolent temp gauges. Later i'll be adding in a metric engine oil temp gauge too. As we are planning some desert trips while towing a trailer in the future, having reasonably accurate oil and water gauges is important.

Will also be running up a sizable bill sorting out the air conditioning. It didn't work in either of the two and I have known for a while that the compressor has the had the d**k, So i'm looking at a complete overhaul, compressor, evap, condenser, dryer and a few flex lines. The controls need some attention too.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next