Fordmods Logo

ToranaGuy - Got my kicks on Route 66! :-) 

Page 77 of 81 [ 1212 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next

Post subject: Re: ToranaGuys Build Thread - Eb Ghia engine rebuild time...
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
Any progress is good progress mate.
Keep at it.
It is f**k hard to get motorvated to go and stand out in a freezing cold shed when inside the heater and coffee is on , and there is a nice comfy spot in front of the TV.

Thanks mate. Yes, very hard to get motivated. I really need a heater in the shed. Electric would be quick & easy, but run up the power bill. Gas, hell I could run it off a bottle, fairly cheap but it produces moisture, which isn't good for tools or cars.

I've got 60ltrs of waste engine & trans oil, waiting a trip to dump it at a collection point for recycling. I was looking on Journey to forever, they have a design for a waste oil heater, looks interesting. I reckon if I scale it down so I can make use of an old 9kg out of date gas bottle, and some downpipe for the flue, I could mount it on the wall & get it working.... there's a jew idea!

Otherwise, I use the gas bottle & make a really small wood burner pot belly that I can mount on the wall, I have access to heaps of free soft wood & some hardwood I can cut up small, to use to heat the shed with. Gotta mount the heater on the wall, space is at a premium in my shed...

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Set up something like this.
http://www.ozpig.com.au/

The original ones were built off old 9kg gas bottles.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I was thinking something along those lines, but leave it in an upright position, cut a door in one side, weld some steel to the back side so I can bolt it to the wall. Cut the bottom out & mod it so it's removable to remove the ash that builds up.

I wonder if I could make it duel fuel, ie wood & oil burner?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok, so a little more slow progress tonight. Stripped the head off the engine just removed from the ghia, it's going to the head joint (!) tomorrow morning to be checked that it's flat, should be ok, but I don't wanna chance it.

Oh yeah, what head gasket do I use? The stock one that come in my permaseal set, or my AU MLS gasket I have in the shed? Yep, just happen to have one lying around lol.

Got a bit more paint on a couple of the brackets for the front of the engine. Also found my left mount is broken... :oops: What a surprise, a manual falcon with a broken left engine mount. :twisted: Maybe it's time for poly mounts?

Need to clean up the intake manifold - lots of oil inside it, and start to work out how to fix the LPG wiring once & for all. IE, fit a couple of plugs to it so I can unplug it when required, because, being an Eseries, we all know I'll have to remove it sooner or later.

Next decision to make is the cam. I think I'll go a wade 1673 regrind. I've got plenty of shims, no problem there. Got a set of new lifters to go in too. I should probably also paint up my extractors, I wonder if my heat gun can get them hot enough to apply & then cure the paint? It has 300 & something a lot hotter settings iirc. :mrgreen:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Got the head checked out today - all good on the flatness front. That's a bonus, means I do have the cash for a cam & j3 chip after all. The head joint suggested to use the MLS if my block has been decked, which it has. So I guess I'm going to use the MLS that I bought ages ago? In other news, well not much else happening, feeling a little further under the weather tonight, so not working on the car.

Been thinking about the wiring for the LPG that I cut the other day. Gotta see if I need to extend the wires a bit or if there is enough to just stick a couple of 6 pin connectors on. Might ponder that idea some more tomorrow night.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Wow. Another J3 and Wade 1673 head job. This site should sell advertising...
Whatever Fiend d**k.

Getting that head shaved a mm or two? Whilst its off you might want to round off a few corners....

;-)

Also posted a video of oil burner at Butlers a few years ago. Bit of welding and a big old effort to get it cranking, but then, woommmphhh... Mind the grass and the big oil stain out the front.... May the force (and luck) be with you.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

Image wade 1673, with paccie 4490's high flow and 2.5 red back, idles around 900 - 500 can be made to idle 900 - 200 if you wind the screw out enough :lol:

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Whatever Fiend d**k.

Getting that head shaved a mm or two? Whilst its off you might want to round off a few corners....

;-)

Also posted a video of oil burner at Butlers a few years ago. Bit of welding and a big old effort to get it cranking, but then, woommmphhh... Mind the grass and the big oil stain out the front.... May the force (and luck) be with you.

lol dude. Well, the J3 is a good idea to get it running better, and I'll probably buy myself the tuner gear down the track, I have 3 Eb's I could have myself tuning lol. In regards to the cam, for the money and the power the average person get's, it's good value.

Head's been reco'd at least twice, had brand new valves in it not long ago, been shaved once or twice in it's life. Blocks also been decked a tad too, probably add's 1/2 a point to the comp. Don't want to add much, because I might boost it down the track....

Where's the oil burner vid? Journey to forever have a good way to get them light up fairly easily. It's an idea I'm toying with, I really don't want to fit electric heating to the shed, my power bill is high enough already!

Mitchell G - sounds pretty good man.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
fiend wrote:
Whatever Fiend d**k.

;-)

lol dude. Well, the J3 is a good idea to get it running better, and I'll probably buy myself the tuner gear down the track, I have 3 Eb's I could have myself tuning lol. In regards to the cam, for the money and the power the average person get's, it's good value.

Head's been reco'd at least twice, had brand new valves in it not long ago, been shaved once or twice in it's life. Blocks also been decked a tad too, probably add's 1/2 a point to the comp. Don't want to add much, because I might boost it down the track....

Where's the oil burner vid? Journey to forever have a good way to get them light up fairly easily. It's an idea I'm toying with, I really don't want to fit electric heating to the shed, my power bill is high enough already!

Mitchell G - sounds pretty good man.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I don't have a good video but when my el had a cms 3 in it it didn't lope much but did rev fast and did move fast, only cost me 250 and needed 110 seat pressure springs, with an adjustable vernier

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mitchell g wrote:

I don't have a good video but when my el had a cms 3 in it it didn't lope much but did rev fast and did move fast, only cost me 250 and needed 110 seat pressure springs, with an adjustable vernier

That's why I'm looking at the wade (haven't ordered yet, they were doing a pc backup the other day, couldn't order it at the time). I don't really have the cash for new springs, spring tool & a new cam.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
mitchell g wrote:

That's why I'm looking at the wade (haven't ordered yet, they were doing a pc backup the other day, couldn't order it at the time). I don't really have the cash for new springs, spring tool & a new cam.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

if I end up with another e series for a daily when I turn mine into a freak i'll definatly ad a cms 3 to it

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That would be cool. I've got other projects to spend up on, so I probably won't get the ghia boosted for a good while, if at all.

Here's a couple of progress pics.

Starting to look like an engine here.. Heads on, timing chain, gears & one tensioner installed. Lots more work to do, lots more new parts to fit yet. Water pump, some sensors, new poly engine & gearbox mounts.

Nitty gritty work on parts get's them looking good when it comes time to assemble them.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I couldn't find my spare cam :oops: , so I pulled this one out & it's been sent in to Wade Cams to get a regrind. Build is slowly progressing.

In other news, my karcher has packed it in, looks like it's going to cost me about $400-500 to replace it with a new one just like it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well, called up Wade cams & my cam should be back Monday arvo, which is cool news. Also done some research on the Karcher issue - looks like it's just the capacitor that's crapped out. Going to pull it out & give the part number to a mate @ Total Tools, see if he can order me in a replacement. Heaps cheaper than replacing the whole unit. I can get them from eBay in the UK, but it will take weeks, I'd like to have it going sooner.

Also had a WIN tonight after work, picked up an AU "Explorer" intake, egr plate, TB & AFM for reasonable money, to go on the red Xr8. That won't happen until the Ghia is back on the road, but at least I now have the parts. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I recieved the cam back from Wade on Tuesday, my mate made a funny meme about it, I'll find the pic and post it up soon. Had the day off work today, so got busy, and have assembled a lot of the engine. I'd forgotten how fiddly the lifters are, took me ages to strip the old ones out, remove the shims, clean the rocker gear in kero, fit the 2 x shims now required, and fit my new set of lifters, which I bought ages ago, and never got around to using, sort of like the MLS headgasket. :mrgreen:

Only a few little things to do before it can come off the stand. I'm not going to get time to paint up my extractors, which is a pity, but I have to get this back on the road sooner, rather than later. Here's a progress pic...

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 77 of 81  [ 1212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next