Fordmods Logo

turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph 

Page 6 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project-12.5@115mph
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Finally had a chance to pour over my logs, interesting stuff. Compared 3rd gear pulls from drags on the 12.5@115 pass to the last pull i made with the topmount on sunday before it spun a bearing. 4300rpm to 5400rpm was 6.97 secs at the drags, 4.51 secs before with the cam/springs!!!! Thats nearly 2.5 secs difference. Some of that difference could be contributed to spark blowout issues but id say a lot is from springs/cam.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Thought you all would have a laugh at my torque convertor, was far worse than I had previously thought and im surprised the car still pulled a mid 12. Bent pump drive tabs, broken/bent fins, stator surface badly worn and clutch lock up metal to metal.

Pump drive tabs bent

Damaged stator surface

Badly damaged fins around outside edge...

Chunk jammed in another fin

Loose fin rattling around

Other half fins all rooted most pushed/torn flat

More torn blades

More of the same

These should all be flat across haha

Went to the local "you pull it" and got another convertor, trans pump assy and clutch packs for $50, bargain. Pulled the box from the car and found 3rd gear clutch packs were not looking good again prob only did 4 or 5 3rd gear pulls and they looked like new when they went in. Fibres were black in appearance and the steels showed hot spots, was definately slipping again. Fitted the good clutch pack from the wreckers with a good pump and convertor so hopefully it dosn't slip now. I think the old trans pump may have been on the way out resulting in low pressures in the box, the pump bush was well cactus too.

Racing again 18th may, we have a night street meet here for the first time, cant wait! Hoping to go much faster than before with all the busted stuff replaced and valve springs/cam fitted. Looks like stock convertors may need changing every so often same as 3rd clutch packs haha consumables.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
Thought you all would have a laugh at my torque convertor, was far worse than I had previously thought and im surprised the car still pulled a mid 12. Bent pump drive tabs, broken/bent fins, stator surface badly worn and clutch lock up metal to metal.

Pump drive tabs bent

Damaged stator surface

Badly damaged fins around outside edge...

Chunk jammed in another fin

Loose fin rattling around

Other half fins all rooted most pushed/torn flat

More torn blades

More of the same

These should all be flat across haha

Went to the local "you pull it" and got another convertor, trans pump assy and clutch packs for $50, bargain. Pulled the box from the car and found 3rd gear clutch packs were not looking good again prob only did 4 or 5 3rd gear pulls and they looked like new when they went in. Fibres were black in appearance and the steels showed hot spots, was definately slipping again. Fitted the good clutch pack from the wreckers with a good pump and convertor so hopefully it dosn't slip now. I think the old trans pump may have been on the way out resulting in low pressures in the box, the pump bush was well cactus too.

Racing again 18th may, we have a night street meet here for the first time, cant wait! Hoping to go much faster than before with all the busted stuff replaced and valve springs/cam fitted. Looks like stock convertors may need changing every so often same as 3rd clutch packs haha consumables.

It seems as if Elizabeth U pull it are a E series owners best friend as all these parts are just wear and tear consumables as you mentioned

Gosh the inside of that converter is rooted looks as if heat has also scoured stuff also i am not sure what im looking at with the stator surface

Have you yet to try any of the synthetic oils for the tranny yet i have heard alot about trans max Z from castrol but that is a dexron 3 fluid unless you use a kiwi dex 3 to BTR95 fluid converter ?

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

The stator bearing surface should be smooth and flat this one was scored and grooved. Yep U pull it is great as most wreckers wont separate parts from any complete trans/engine etc. Nulon does a synthetic trans fluid pricey stuff, id probably run it in a rebuilt trans but not in this old one ha ha.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
The stator bearing surface should be smooth and flat this one was scored and grooved. Yep U pull it is great as most wreckers wont separate parts from any complete trans/engine etc. Nulon does a synthetic trans fluid pricey stuff, id probably run it in a rebuilt trans but not in this old one ha ha.

Yes yes i would do the same be as tight as possible hell i already am :)

Have you got any idea's on "next mods" to gain that extra .50 second to hit the 11 second club ?

personal q but may i ask how many part's cars you have ?

The thing that i wanted to ask when i rang you for just came to mind now dam

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Mods for the coming street meet are basically changing out all stuffed s**t, convertor, clutch packs etc and fitting cam and valve springs back to how it was at its fastest. Prity much need to sort my 60fts should be doing at least 1.8s and then 11s should happen, one day haha. Then I will need andra licence. Just got one el for parts but its basically gutted, once I scrap it ill have room for a fresh one.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
Mods for the coming street meet are basically changing out all stuffed s**t, convertor, clutch packs etc and fitting cam and valve springs back to how it was at its fastest. Prity much need to sort my 60fts should be doing at least 1.8s and then 11s should happen, one day haha. Then I will need andra licence. Just got one el for parts but its basically gutted, once I scrap it ill have room for a fresh one.

what are your best 60ft times currently ?

It is also awesome you are doing all this with 3.08 gears must be a good easily 240 - 300RW KW at wheels?

most other people are whinging and running 3.45s etc in there boosted set up's

HAHA consumables i can imagine a new EF/EL parts car every 4-6 weeks

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford xg ute

NSW, Australia

holy crap ive never seen an auto destroyed like that lol

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Best 60ft with this setup so far is only a 2.05 with a 4psi launch on the dead convertor. Should see a good improvement next time out with a fresh convertor. From comparing similar cars trapping 115mph would put it loosely around 275rwkw, my mph should go up as I irion out all the problems. I personally feel dyno figures don't mean all that much. These days I prity much just look at trap speed as an indicator of cars performance/power. Put two cars both trapping 120mph from a 100km roll on against two with 300rwkw dyno sheets and ill bet the first two will be more even. I think the 3.08s are working alright id love to try 3.45s and see the improvement if any. A higher flowing plenum on its own would improve my trap speeds a few mph on the same boost im keen to have a crack at my own eventually.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
Best 60ft with this setup so far is only a 2.05 with a 4psi launch on the dead convertor. Should see a good improvement next time out with a fresh convertor. From comparing similar cars trapping 115mph would put it loosely around 275rwkw, my mph should go up as I irion out all the problems. I personally feel dyno figures don't mean all that much. These days I prity much just look at trap speed as an indicator of cars performance/power. Put two cars both trapping 120mph from a 100km roll on against two with 300rwkw dyno sheets and ill bet the first two will be more even. I think the 3.08s are working alright id love to try 3.45s and see the improvement if any. A higher flowing plenum on its own would improve my trap speeds a few mph on the same boost im keen to have a crack at my own eventually.

nice i also noticed in the EF section in Jason ( TI performance) website it was the first hit in the list they must be proud of your work as it is a good set up for sub 3 to 4 K including car purchase , which has made me disappointed in my cam etc

Is there much left to do before race day the 18th , i got a engine crane you can borrow if you like ?

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:02 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Cheers but its prob just in order of upload date mines just a track hack nothing special. Thanks for the offer on engine crane this motor should last me a while I hope, but ill sing out if I need to borrow it. Got to put the auto back in, fit my other head which was just skimmed flat and has my valve springs and fit cam. Few other little things but that's about it.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got the ef back together, now running the crow valve springs and wade 1521a cam again. For anyone running this cam definately need the extra shim, without it lifters were noisy as. Also changed my booster as it was split and fit a new water pump too. Bit nervous as I havn't tested it (no rego and been wet as) but it seems to be running smooth and stalls up ok again. Prity much ready for racing sat night should be good fun if the weather hold out!

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:52 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Wow what a crazy day Saturday was! We arrived about an hour before racing was planned to start at 5pm as we were running late, traffic was backed up the whole street with people waiting to get in. Took us an hour just to get in the gate and unload it was that busy. In the line all the guys that didn't prepay were being turned away as they had 220 entries and turned away another 60 which is great news as street meets will likely continue frequently now! Then the line for scrutineering was massive and finally I was lined up waiting for my first run around 7pm.

Skid went well 1st and 2nd on limiter. Staged last as the burnout was decent and stalled up, launched with just 3-4psi as there wasn't time to sit and stall. Took off prity slow with only one gear change for whole run I new something funny had happened. Car suffered bad spark blow out again in 2nd gear, 3rd pulled hard and clean for a s**t 13.59@115mph on 2.29 60ft. Looked at logs and it had taken of in 2nd gear, shifter was left in 2nd from the skid never thought it would pick that gear, weird as and another wasted run.

Changed plugs in the pits and lined up for my 2nd run, waited well over an hour in the massive line. Did a small skid just in 1st on limiter and staged as quick as I could. Started stalling boost was coming up slowly green dropped and waited to hit 5psi and left with 1.4 reaction time. Car launched ok felt strong in 1st till spark blow out again, shifted up and 2nd pulled hard till bad spark blowout, 3rd was great no issues at all. Went 12.51@117mph on 1.91 60ft. Et was way down from spark blow out in front half, only 87mph to 660ft. Looking at the data log 2.5secs of the run had blowout issues were it basically stopped pulling.

Back to the pits swapped in another coil pack and went out again to join the line. Was lined up for over an hour again line was slow as there was a coolant spill down track. Got about 10 cars from the tree and we were all told to pack up and go home as a bf threw a rod 3/4 track and oil was every were, bugga was planning on stalling to 10psi and had hoped for a good run.

Soo disappointing again but with only two runs I guess that's what happens, that's racing. Even had a guy come up saying hes been watching my car the last few times and felt sorry for me always having issues. Im happy with the mph pick up from 1/2 track at 30mph just need to sort my s**t out in the 1st half.

Good points were btr was strong zero slip in logs and gave no issues. Atf is still clean too. Data logging also gave no issues connected fine and I got to record both runs. Cam leaned afrs off 1 point and sat on high 11s to low 12s in top end. Best thing is its not broken just needs fiddling with. Need to sort out spark issues still, starting to think low timing might be taxing the coil packs too much was only running 8 degrees around peak torque and up to 12 above 5000rpm. Dyno required to find mbt.

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project-12.51@117mph
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:11 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Vid of run, too bad other car was loud as cant even here mine haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn9uQvY6 ... e=youtu.be

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next