Fordmods Logo

turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph 

Page 7 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project-12.51@117mph
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Nice work mate! The spark problems you keep having are a PITA. Have you looked into an AU2 coilpack or upgrade coils like the Accel ones from the states? To run an AU2 coilpack you will need the harness plug and new plug leads.

12.5 is a stout number, especially when you reckon its got more in it!

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Nice work mate! The spark problems you keep having are a PITA. Have you looked into an AU2 coilpack or upgrade coils like the Accel ones from the states? To run an AU2 coilpack you will need the harness plug and new plug leads.

12.5 is a stout number, especially when you reckon its got more in it!

This is crazy to me i don't know why but that is the EXACT time Will got last time as mentioned a couple posts above his recount on the drags on saturday the 18th

Would there be that much of a benefit in a AU2/3 coil pack ? i have ran one before in a LPG setup brand new coil pack plus leads etc , and didn't notice any difference but performance applications could be another story

How is the car going fuel wise ? are the 60lb's enough for this power ? since its a track hack maybe run some of them indy blue's wont idle for s**t but would be fine for a easy 400RW kw

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Haha cheers guys, yea exact same time weird as what are the chances of that. Au coilpack may work but at this stage the el dissy setup is looking like the go. 60lbers are maxed with extra inj as well. If I need more I can up base pressure to around 60psi for a cheap fix. Dunno you would get indys working on j3 they are bloody massive haha. Should be way faster on a good run.

Here is part of log for the 12.51@117 run, cheers to my little bro for sussing out how to do that, computer wiz. Boost is black, rpm pink, afr red, knock green (useless will change to log speed instead soon). As you can see the blowout was that bad even the boost dropped off and rpm trace goes spastic also throws afr readings out. Cant wait to fix blow out issues!

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:59 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Ok so finally got a couple of free hours to do some testing yesterday. Since I havn't yet addressed the spark blowout issues on higher boost, I decided to drop the boost and add some timing for now. Turns out this was a good move! Boost is now down to 14psi. With original timing in the 10-12 range 90-140s were damn slow around 4.0secs. Added timing and timed increments kept dropping, ended with 16deg 3500-4500, up to 20 degrees over 5000 before the rain set in stopping the fun. 90-140s dropped to low 3s with a new pb for this setup of 3.067sec with a s**t load of wheel spin. Huge improvement just from adding 6-8degrees timing on boost! The pull this has in 3rd is not bad, recorded a best 100-200 of 7.89secs and 100-160 4.16secs, best on 18psi with low timing was 8.6 secs.

So it would appear I have been doing it all wrong, usually aiming for a highish target boost then keeping timing conservative thinking the boost would more than make up for decreased timing. This setup seems to want timing to perform. The engine definitely sounds so much angrier now. Also flushed the radiator and temps seem to be stable now, trans is also showing no slip on 2-3 change which is great. All in all prity happy with it at the moment, entered the street meet here oct 5th should be good fun.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Cheers man, took the car to the dyno today. Made 312rwkw on 14psi at about 4000rpm then run was aborted as it went lean quick, out to 15:1 afr, power trace was still shooting up. Tried lowering boost made 275 on 12psi then same deal went lean at about 4500rpm. Need to hook up fuel pressure gauge but it seems fuel pressure is dropping under full boost. Didn't get a chance to add timing as it was to lean. Dunno seems to pull hard all the way to limiter to me, should go good with more juice. And yes my tune sucks, havnt spent much time on the low boost setting yet.

Dyno shop reckons my wideband is too slow hence me thinking my afrs were fine that or its fubar. Tried a 10psi run but it just flooded with fuel coming onto boost. Dyno shop was saying 300rwkw and no more for stock motor, fook that haha.

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project-12.51@117mph now 312rwkw
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Mmmm very nice is this the set up with the twin head gaskets to lower compression?

I think you shall be needing some ARP head studs with the power your making

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Nope just single stock head gasket, compression is 9.3:1. Funny you should mention head-bolts I have re-used these 3 times now with no probs haha budget spec motor.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Bummer about the lean spike! Freakin' great number though! Keep up the top work!

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB turbo

Power: 276 rwkw

SA, Australia

Loving this build up.... And just realised you were the other car getting tuned there same day as me lol.
turbo_will wrote:

Dyno shop reckons my wideband is too slow hence me thinking my afrs were fine that or its fubar.
Dyno shop was saying 300rwkw and no more for stock motor, fook that haha.

Exactly what happened with my retune. gauge said low11's and when on dyno went out to mid 13's. told me it was too slow....
What wideband are you using? I have an innovate lc1...
Also how much timing did you have for 12 psi and 275atw?
I ended up with 14 degrees at 13 psi and 275 ATW, pump98. Similar comp to your motor.

EB 2,T5, snort kit, 3 inch, 044, turbosmart reg, LC1, 46lb, crow cam, EMS stinger
Now with 275.7 rwkw @13 psi

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:52 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Thanks man, wideband is aem and uses the bosch sensor. Timing is setup 16d from 3500-4500, 18d from 4500-5000, 20d above 5000 on boost, didn't change timing when we dropped boost. Sucks getting all setup to find you cant do a full pull hey, I had planned on more boost and timing to see what it gained. Yours should go more once sorted, if afrs were in mid 13s. Did you find 14degrees timing was max yours would take on 98 or that just what your running? My timing is a guess at the moment haha.

Not sure what do do with wideband, ill try a free air recalibration but if its a speed problem ill just set it up stupid rich on boost and go from there on dyno. Hopefully get time to suss issues today.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Well I'm using the Bosch sensor also...
My timing is just at 14 degrees accross the board for safeness. (It should take more in higher rpm for sure but ok for now.)
af ratios were fixed on dyno to 11.9-12 coming on and slowly getting richer to redline.
Over all pretty soft tune but my setup is a little less forgiving than yours as I've got a decomped au motor with steel head gaskets.
You still on e85 or back to 98 ? Your timing would be up there on 98....
I agree with you about max power, 300 for an ef motor is a walk in the park, even more so if on e85....
I'd squeeze 300 out of mine but the t5 won't like me much lol.

EB 2,T5, snort kit, 3 inch, 044, turbosmart reg, LC1, 46lb, crow cam, EMS stinger

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

If its taking 14 at peak torque it should handle another few up top I would have thought. Guess im not bothered pushing things with a stock head gasket worse case would be blown gasket, could do them in my sleep now :oops: On e85 still, it would have blown up being that lean on 98 for sure haha. Nanna 3rd and shell be sweet they are a cheap box if it goes bang.

So made some progress this arvo. This car must have been the definition of lean! Tested fuel pressure, A1 holds steady at 60psi to limiter. Bummer I was sure this was the problem. Figured I must have been out of injector. Removed the 24lb 7th injector and replaced with a 1600cc indy blue triggered to come on (100%duty) at 12psi. Went for another drive, initial rich misfire for a second as injector comes on then pulls clean to limiter. Must have been super lean if I could add that much fuel without rich misfire issues in top end, the indy sprays s**t of fuel. Testing it in a bucket its crazy how much fuel can be thrown in with such a fine mist.

Prity much ignoring the wideband atm, it reckons low 10s I wouldn't be surprised if its richer, exhaust is now black always used to be a light tan colour. Hard to say but I reckon it feels stronger up top now, but dosnt come on as hard. Overlayed the rpm trace from a 3rd gear pull today to the 117mph pass at drags and its steeper which is a good sign. Interestingly peak boost has gone up to 16psi now(on the elec boost controller) with no changes to duty cycle. Just need to book some dyno time to sort this out or bust it haha.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

You won't bust it on E85, unless something epic happens.... With 16psi same timing and enough fuel you'd have to be around 320-330 atw pretty easily, with traction that's good for mid to low 11's. very stout for a streeter..... You going to next street meet? Be good to see you make a few passes without any issues! Get it back on the dyno dialled in and park it so you can't break it lol...

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

I've broke it before on e85 on higher boost would have been insanely lean though, popped a head gasket. Yea Im running next one 24th august, only got street tyres though my slicks popped canvas so should be good fun trying for traction haha.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:21 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got a tank of fuel and had a dig at making this thing faster today. Prity happy with how it ended up, way faster than before and I didn't pop anything in the process haha. Boost is now at 20psi dropping to a steady 18psi. Timing is back 2 degrees, 14d as full boost hits and up to 18d above 5000rpm. 2nd gear now has zero hope of traction turns into limiter bashing in roll ons heres a quick vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZsBkhk ... e=youtu.be

Cracked 90-140 in 2.85secs and 100-200 down to 7.70secs also a best 0f 0-100 in 5.22 all on s**t 205r15s . Trans is loving it still shifting hard. Racing again august 24th, just on street tyres as the slicks have popped canvas now so should be good fun trying for traction and hopefully a new PB. Plans are to park it up till race day as its going fast enough. Damn scary with stock suspension/brakes and no front swaybar haha.

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next