Fordmods Logo

Wagonstyle's ef fairmont wags. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Wagonstyle's ef fairmont wags.
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

Been a member on here for long enough so thought I'd share in the threads.
Pc is on the fritz so I'm using my iPhone and cause the pictures on it are too big I can't upload any ATM but will catch up when I get it working again.

I brought my wagon end of 09 and at the time it was very unloved as it was off the road and in bad shape. It came from a large family both in numbers and weight. Since iv owned it I have ironed out most issues and started putting my own touches into it.

The original klms on the car when I got it had 280k klms and the motor lasted until 360k before kicking the bucket. After that I done an au conversion but after having it all in and running I blew an auto so with the k frame being cut I decided to rip it all out and drop another ef motor back in. Not long after I picked up a donor xr6 wagon so out came its motor for a rebuild.

Since then I have picked up a couple T5's and other donor cars so I have rebuilt one of the manuals and also just finished rebuilding the xr motor.

The wagons off the road ATM as I'm currently doing the motor swap and manual conversion and in that time I have modified sedan gia rear leathers to fit the wagon. Also getting the xr wagons LSD rebuilt to go in shortly after motor n trans are done.

I'm also re-wiring the xr's dash with a gia loom to fit into the wags, the ef xr front bar is at a mates getting plastic welded as it has a few cracks and breaks so once it comes back ill be fitting it up with the twin headlights. Than after running gear and front end is done I can finish my ba bulge and get it fitted on the car as well.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Post subject: Re: Wagonstyle's ef fairmont wags.
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

The wags when I 1st got her home.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

Sounds very nice! Reminds me of some of the ideas I had for my wagon before I went to the LTD, a manual LSD wagon. Are you aiming for a daily reliable or something a bit faster?

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

steedy wrote:
Sounds very nice! Reminds me of some of the ideas I had for my wagon before I went to the LTD, a manual LSD wagon. Are you aiming for a daily reliable or something a bit faster?

Cheers mate she's coming along nicely. I'm just aiming for a reliable daily with a bit of power behind it for when I want to play. Don't see a great deal of falcon wagons getting done up here in newcastle as nearly every one is in a commodore or bran new falcon so it'll stand out well.

In the near future ill be putting a stage 2a cms cam and possibly a gt35/40 in her to get the power I want but other than that I'm not looking at going stupid power wise.

As she sat 3 weeks ago.

My wags on the left and the wife's on the right.

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Today I modified the parts needed to fit my alloy radiator. As I said in previous post the AC condenser side supports had to be cut down so started there.

AC supports that need cutting down.

So after cutting the supports down and cleaning up the edge I bolted it back in.

I than sat the radiator in and I'm not sure if its cause my radiator support is bent from a previous engine change were the crane let go and dropped it on top of the support or because the folds are too big but it sat too high and wouldn't sit back against the support panel so I trimmed off the longest side (condenser) to match the shorter one (thermo).

Here you can see the difference in length of the radiators folds. Condenser side folds are around 20mm were thermo side are 10mm on top and bottom.

After cutting the top and bottom fold on the condenser side of the radiator I dropped it in and it sat back against the support panel like it should, though I had to take out the rubbers that the standard radiator sits on. Since it looked good I bolted it in and grabbed the thermos to see how they sat and after a good inspection I could see that the bottom of the thermos where it sits into the radiator was way off so I took note of where it had to be cut and got to work.

Passenger side of thermos.

Drivers side of thermos.

After cutting down the sides of the thermos I dropped it in and noticed the mounts that slip into the radiator were sitting 10mm away from the radiator so I took it out and cut the 10mm off the bottom edge of the thermos and after that was done it slid straight in. Still have to get longer bolts for the thermos as the original bolts that hold the thermos to the radiator aren't long enough by about 10mm so its just cable tied until I get some bolts from work.

Radiator sitting nicely.

Radiator, thermos and air intake all in.

I have seen a couple other alloy radiators put in and some have had to cut the intake scoop and put a flexi tube in from the air box to the scoop, though I had no issues with mine as I just unbolted the bottom support of the air box that's behind the head light and that gave the box enough movement for the scoop to slip on and be screwed down.

Hope this helps anyone who is planning on fitting an alloy radiator.

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ok guys I have finished my engine swap and manual conversion though I'm having trouble getting it to fire. I noticed that (!) is coming up on the dash when I crank it and when I turn key off it takes a couple minutes for the smart lock to flash. Checked for spark and none so I replaced coil and still nothing. I'm using 95 falcon ef manual loom and ecu in my 96 ef.

Any thoughts would help.

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:38 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

re-set the smart lock buy leaving the key in the run position for a hour. also try the crank angle sensor..

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
re-set the smart lock buy leaving the key in the run position for a hour. also try the crank angle sensor..

Will do it in the morning got the battery on charge as its pretty much dead. It's the new motor so everything is clean but ill have a look at cas and maybe swap it with another and see how we go. I just cleaned all earths after replacing coil and still no spark.

Also I believe the warning signal (!) is a brake issue any ideas why or were the fault could be??

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

wagonstyle wrote:
ausedwagon wrote:

Will do it in the morning got the battery on charge as its pretty much dead. It's the new motor so everything is clean but ill have a look at cas and maybe swap it with another and see how we go. I just cleaned all earths after replacing coil and still no spark.

Also I believe the warning signal (!) is a brake issue any ideas why or were the fault could be??

nope no idea, no spark is ether smartlock or the crank angle sensor.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: AU XR8,XF panel van

VIC, Australia

It might sound stupid but check all your fuses??? I had an EL wagon that had a similar problem it would turn over and wouldnt fire. Believe it or not is was the interior light fuse.Apparently some of the fuses do two jobs. ??

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Claytee wrote:
It might sound stupid but check all your fuses??? I had an EL wagon that had a similar problem it would turn over and wouldnt fire. Believe it or not is was the interior light fuse.Apparently some of the fuses do two jobs. ??

Yup checked all fuses and they all look good, interior light comes on. But still no spark so will be going over it tomorrow.

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

And the beast is running found the spark issue was to do with the cas (crank angle sensor) so after fixing it she fired to life. Had couple minor things to do like fix vacuum leak and water leak but that's all sorted and is running good. Had a bit of an idle issue but that seems to have sorted itself out, bit of a tick in the lifters even though there new so I'm hoping they will quieten down after wearing in.

Took the girl for a run around the block and dam it felt good, motor sounds good and plenty of power and the exhaust note hmm god it sounds good.
Next to be done is the LSD and at the same time my xr front end. Also picked up some sedan side skirts tonight so ill be modifying them soon as well as starting on my custom rear bar.

On wednesday other than running the motor and checking for leaks I didn't do alot but later in the arv I decided to prime my spare xr front bar and have it ready to bolt on.

So yesterday i put the xr front end on lights, bar, indicators than fit passenger side bucket seat.

Primed and ready to bolt up.
All bolted on.

Don't mind the bonnet its going in the bin once my ba bulge and shaker is finished on my ef bonnet, not going to use my xr bonnet as I think the vents plus the bulge is to much.

Sedan skirts before I cut them.

Having a play to see how they look.

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Haven't done much lately other than drive it around town and making sure there's no leaks or other issues, but the other day I got outside and got the bottom base of the rear seat to clip in properly after some minor mods, also found all my audio gear so I wired up my subs and amp than the next day my new double din DVD head unit arrived so in it went aswell. Wired up my cargo speakers as they have been disconnected for awhile and also found out the fronts are on there way out so in the near future ill be getting a complete custom audio setup but that won't be till I get back to work, so until than ill have to take it easy on the front speakers. Will be wiring up another amp soon to run front and rear cargo speakers so when I put the tailgate speakers and trim back in ill have to mount a 3rd amp to run them as there 6x9s.

My new double din DVD head unit, only downfall is that it only has limited settings like no sub control.

New sub box and amp mounted to side wall.

Also finally picked up a black steering wheel airbag to go with my black wheel now just need the black plastic from the back of the wheel and I'm set.
Got the airbag from a bloke that's got a written off sedan el xr6 and after talking to him I may be buying the whole car and all parts he has just waiting for him to make a decision as he also has an el xr8 but he's not sure if he wants to sell it and sell me the xr6 or keep the xr8 and use parts of the 6 for spares. Hoping to hear back from him soon.

Yesterday while at the parents for dinner I got to work sanding my ba bulge and shaker as it had a fair bit of bog on it from previous owner so I got it all cleaned up. Now the question is what bonnet to mount it to wether it be the xr bonnet or the stock ef bonnet.

Xr bonnet though with shaker as a vent there's no need for the side vents plus I think its to much on the bonnet.
Stock ef bonnet.

Although I'm set on using the stock bonnet I'd like every ones opinion.

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

wagonstyle wrote:
Yesterday while at the parents for dinner I got to work sanding my ba bulge and shaker as it had a fair bit of bog on it from previous owner so I got it all cleaned up. Now the question is what bonnet to mount it to wether it be the xr bonnet or the stock ef bonnet.

Xr bonnet though with shaker as a vent there's no need for the side vents plus I think its to much on the bonnet.
Stock ef bonnet.

Although I'm set on using the stock bonnet I'd like every ones opinion.

You asked for an opion therefore I will give you one.......Don't.

If you want to fit a bulge, do so.
If you want a Shaker, do so, but make it a working unit.
Don't stick on some fake s**t.

You have done some good work so far, don't ruin it.

You asked for an opinion, you have mine. :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]