XF Ute 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XF Ute
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: '89 XF Ute, '95 XG Pano, '04 XR6

WA, Australia

Hey guys thought i'd put another build thread up. I'm currently doing the panelvan up but I'm also in the middle of repairing and rebuilding my XF ute.

The XF:
Ultralow king springs in the front
2 inch lowering blocks in the back
Extractors
Boss Kit and after market steering wheel
Black 12 slotters
Roll Bar
Dark Tint
Custom gun metal grey paint job
Extractors and dual 2 3/4inch custom exhaust
Holley 500 carbi
Stage 1 crow cam
3.4.5 LSD
and a few other goodies

Problem is, I worked away a lot as a farming contractor and on one of the runs at 2am in the morning i hit a 6 foot roo in it, bent the bullbar in half all the way back to the shock tower.

I did a quick fix and in 36 hours i had a new bullbar on it, new headlights, new bonnet, new guard... its been holding up for a while but it leaks water, fuel, engine oil, transmission oil and brake fluid so its time for a good fix! this is her in her glory days:

Tonight i've removed the rear lowering blocks, unbolted the bullbar, taken the radiator out and removed the extractors. Motor and box are getting ready to be taken out. Will post photos as I go and still hopefully get some time to work on the pano as well

Cheers

Jay

Post subject: Re: XF Ute
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Update:

Today i pulled out the motor and box. was fairly easy and wen quite smoothly.
Tomorrow ill be picking up my old burnout rig from the parents and pulling out the manual out of that so i can start on the manual conversion. Only a four speed but will do for now.
Was thinking it will probably be easier to put it ll back in as one unit like the way I pulled it out but i might take the head off so it clears things a bit easier, not sure yet. What do you guys reckon for putting it in? I just hit a few things on the way out thats all.

Also want to tidy the bay up while im in there. its got a black box on passenger side. i think it might be charcoal canister... i dont need that :D

anyway a couple of pics of todays progress. didnt get too many as i keep forgetting when i get into it. I should get my girl to go camera lady for me as im working :)

And as she sits tonight:

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Today I got into the ute a bit, decided to remove some parts to clean it up a bit and then i got the smart idea to mess with the wiring :D

Plan is to run the wiring through the guards to clean the engine bay up a bit so here it is so far:

Does anyone know what that black box is? it looks like it plugged into the return line from the carbi? not sure though but think i can get away without using it :)

Does anyone know what this plug is for? It is in the passenger side wiring loom and was hidden in the tape right near the headlight plug:

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF gli, EF Fairmont, ZH Fairlane

TAS, Australia

nice work so far mate looking good

Daily: 1994 EF Falcon GLI, few mods with many more planned.

Soon to be daily: 1995 EF Fairmont, mostly stock.

Restoration: 1997 ZH Fairlane 500, 351 auto.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

hellovapano wrote:
Today I got into the ute a bit, decided to remove some parts to clean it up a bit and then i got the smart idea to mess with the wiring :D

Plan is to run the wiring through the guards to clean the engine bay up a bit so here it is so far:

Does anyone know what that black box is? it looks like it plugged into the return line from the carbi? not sure though but think i can get away without using it :)

Does anyone know what this plug is for? It is in the passenger side wiring loom and was hidden in the tape right near the headlight plug:

That black box is the emmisions charcoal cannister, you need it to pass emmisions, keep it, but hide it somewhere under the gaurd. That plug u found taped into the loom is for the 2nd horn as found on Ghias, LTD's, Fairlanes etc.

Hope that helps, Gab

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
hellovapano wrote:

That black box is the emmisions charcoal cannister, you need it to pass emmisions, keep it, but hide it somewhere under the gaurd. That plug u found taped into the loom is for the 2nd horn as found on Ghias, LTD's, Fairlanes etc.

Hope that helps, Gab

how come the high series had a 2md horn just for loun ess or?

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

If i didnt want to run the charcoal cannister... could i just bypass it all together?
and Gab thankyou so much mate! absolute champion, now to test you a bit further.... was the second horn in ghias identical to the normal one? AND if i plug in a second horn will it automatically work? or is there some type of modification needed inside the cab to get it going?

Cheers

Jay

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hellovapano wrote:
If i didnt want to run the charcoal cannister... could i just bypass it all together?
and Gab thankyou so much mate! absolute champion, now to test you a bit further.... was the second horn in ghias identical to the normal one? AND if i plug in a second horn will it automatically work? or is there some type of modification needed inside the cab to get it going?

Cheers

Jay

hey mate dont quote me on this but i think the loom for the horn goes from the hornswitch to the two horns you should be able to check by following were the wiring loom goes

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

ok sweet thanks mate, hey how do i tell what type of motor i have and wether or not it has an alloy head. it is an 89 model

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

The horn will automatically work if u plug it in, it's not identical to the normal horn, it's a different tone. It bolts straight on and plugs straight in with no mods. You could plug a 2nd normal horn in, it would work, but I see no advantage, wont sound as good, I was lucky, I had an FE LTD Wreck to get mine out of. Interestingly, the horns from an E Series bolt straight on too.

Gab

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF gli, EF Fairmont, ZH Fairlane

TAS, Australia

hellovapano wrote:
ok sweet thanks mate, hey how do i tell what type of motor i have and wether or not it has an alloy head. it is an 89 model

4.1L 250 crossflow alloy head.

Daily: 1994 EF Falcon GLI, few mods with many more planned.

Soon to be daily: 1995 EF Fairmont, mostly stock.

Restoration: 1997 ZH Fairlane 500, 351 auto.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Oh right wow you guys rock you know everything haha. Hey Gab has the E-series horn got a different tone? maybe ill go to a wreckers and bring back a whole bunch of horns haha.

Hopefully tonight I will get some more of the wiring done. a nice clean engine bay to work with :D

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hellovapano wrote:
Oh right wow you guys rock you know everything haha. Hey Gab has the E-series horn got a different tone? maybe ill go to a wreckers and bring back a whole bunch of horns haha.

Hopefully tonight I will get some more of the wiring done. a nice clean engine bay to work with :D

hey mate you can also get diff type of horns from supercheap or autobarn and fit them without too much modifying usually just depends on how mnay connectors your original horn has some have one and same have 2 the second one is a earth which you can easily earth off using engine bay

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
hey mate you can also get diff type of horns from supercheap or autobarn and fit them without too much modifying usually just depends on how mnay connectors your original horn has some have one and same have 2 the second one is a earth which you can easily earth off using engine bay

Why would it be an earth? wouldnt it be another power connector and just plug it into another horn?

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hellovapano wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

Why would it be an earth? wouldnt it be another power connector and just plug it into another horn?

nup its an earth i hooked one up on my old telstar it was a supercheap horn original one on telstar only had one wire going to it supercheap auto horn would not work with just one wire connected had to create an earth from the second connector on supercheap auto horn to engine bay then it worked

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next