XR-Lanes 1975 XB Falcon 500 - Original 15 x 7 Globes 

Page 3 of 10 [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: XR-Lanes 1975 XB Falcon 500
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

SA, Australia

chris sieclay wrote:
what are they fetching now? Some guy wants 4 and a half grand for his XB Falcon 500 and its not even as clean as yours.. I thought he was dreaming??

Well I paid less than that, but I have seen one on gumtree for $5500. I also seen a XC V8 for $10500. But the best one I seen was a purple XB for $105000. It was a purple 2 door GT with 351.

http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Cool project, seen it over on Xfalcon. I think the idea of 15's widened up a tad is a good one, easier to get rubber for than wide 14's. I too found out wide 14's are going by the way side when shopping for rubber for my Hz pano a few years ago. I picked up some recaps to allow it to roll on for now, even those were not so easy to get.

Something I seen in a Hz pano the other day was the factory a/c system modified to run a brand new a/c pump that fits in a xf falcon. It was spaced up & not all that tidy but it worked & could be made tidier. The xf pump is half the size of the old Sanden unit from the 70's..... ;)

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SA, Australia

Hey yeah, I plan to get AC running in this car later on down the track. Its just a matter of working out how to mount the compressor. I was thinking a EB or ED compressor would be a good way to go. There is plenty of spares around, and they where the last model before the serpentine belt.

A friend of mine found a pic of a factory AC vent that mounts under the dash. After someone had mentioned I would be taking up room for this item with my stereo idea.

I have scrapped the stereo idea in favor of wanting to acquire one of these factory vents for my AC setup later on down the track.

This is a pic of the headunit I have decided to go with. I did mention the site these are on on the previous page.

I think these thing are great. I still need to get on to the guy on the mustang forum Ash :)

Cheers

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SA, Australia

Just did a little searching, and found that these units where in actual fact dealer fitted apparently.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Years ago a mate of mine had a XB Fairmont (351) with GS options.
It had intergrated air like an XC....

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That A/C looks so retro, it's cool. Stereo looks great too.

Not a bad idea with the a/c pump, from a EB/ED, you can buy brand new pumps still, even the Xf type can be bought new. Just make sure you have a couple of good thermo fans on the a/c condenser so it works like modern a/c! :-)

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nice find Ash, that website looks like gold!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

That XB looks really nice! It'd make a great sleeper if you left the outside, ride height, wheels etc as is and went to town on the running gear!

As for diffs, XD-XF wagon ones should bolt in - plenty around in Upullit.

On the stereo front, a single DIN is OK clearance wise for the depth, but the problem I found was the front lip/surround won't fit properly in the dash because of the angle of the dash top to bottom - you can either have it level at the top of the stereo - but the bottom is out of the dash by an inch - or you can mount the whole thing behind the dash front but it sits fairly deep in the dash...I ended up going very retro and using a factory Pioneer stereo out of a 70's Toyota Corolla (cost all of $12 from Upullit - I originally bought one from an XF but it was a bit crackly on one channel) - but the output goes through a homemade signal to line converter into the RCA input of the amp I used to use for my sub. It then feeds into 4 Sony Explode 180w speakers - sounds great, and I have a USB transmiity thingo to run music off usb sticks.
I'll be watching this one with great interest!

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SA, Australia

Ash wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:

I think these thing are great. I still need to get on to the guy on the mustang forum Ash :)

Cheers

Here Josh:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthr ... ?tid=14312

In his sig is his business website.

Talk to these guys about A/C. They do all type of vintage air stuff or classic cars.

http://speedyairspares.com.au/index.php?p=home

And if you search further, you will see a lot of it is direct from the US 8-)

Cheers Ash, Ill check them out later tonight.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SA, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
That XB looks really nice! It'd make a great sleeper if you left the outside, ride height, wheels etc as is and went to town on the running gear!

On the stereo front, a single DIN is OK clearance wise for the depth, but the problem I found was the front lip/surround won't fit properly in the dash because of the angle of the dash top to bottom - you can either have it level at the top of the stereo - but the bottom is out of the dash by an inch - or you can mount the whole thing behind the dash front but it sits fairly deep in the dash...I ended up going very retro and using a factory Pioneer stereo out of a 70's Toyota Corolla (cost all of $12 from Upullit - I originally bought one from an XF but it was a bit crackly on one channel) - but the output goes through a homemade signal to line converter into the RCA input of the amp I used to use for my sub. It then feeds into 4 Sony Explode 180w speakers - sounds great, and I have a USB transmiity thingo to run music off usb sticks.

Thanks mate, your stereo setup sounds interesting.

It would make a good sleeper, but unfortunately I have always wanted the GS bonnet and stripes.

Whats your USB transmity thingo? can you explain that one to me a bit more?

Cheers

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SA, Australia

Hey guys,
I have a small update today. I have not shown any pics of my engine bay as of yet as I have been a little embarrassed about it. The whole car looks great and well looked after until you look under the bonnet and see this.

I thought it was all worn away and surface rust was starting to show. But when I degreased the engine bay today and cleaned it with my pressure cleaner, I noticed it was just dirty lol. So I got the cut & polish out and had a go at cutting it back. It ended up looking like this.

The problem is this crud is on there well and truly. So there is still spots on there that are half done like this.

It’s just going to be one of those jobs that you get to every now and then, until it gets done.
The guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from, cooked the original engine when he lost all of his coolant. All that crud in there, most likely has something to do with that.

Cheers

Last edited by XR-Lane on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Ash wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:

Cheers

Here Josh:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthr ... ?tid=14312

In his sig is his business website.

Talk to these guys about A/C. They do all type of vintage air stuff or classic cars.

http://speedyairspares.com.au/index.php?p=home

And if you search further, you will see a lot of it is direct from the US 8-)

Cheers Ash, Ill check them out later tonight.

Just had a look mate.

Thats an awesome site for the AC stuff. Thay have some under dash setups, will be an option if I cant find the one im looking for.

cheers

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I got my air con compressor for the Mav from speedy air spares. He is as cheap as , honest and the parts get to you quickly.
He actually advised on a cheaper compressor for mine when I was happy to buy the dearer one.
I will be buying from him again as required. He has my vote.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That engine bay looks good, even before the clean up, for such an old girl!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
tearlejc wrote:

Thanks mate, your stereo setup sounds interesting.

It would make a good sleeper, but unfortunately I have always wanted the GS bonnet and stripes.

Whats your USB transmity thingo? can you explain that one to me a bit more?

Cheers

Yeh, probably didn't describe that very well...- all it is is a thing that plugs into the cig lighter (note! it won't fit in a standard XB socket cos they are too deep ! I added an accessory one under the dash) - you set it to an unused frequency on your FM radio and you plug usb sticks in the front of it - it has buttons to jump backward or forward thru tracks etc. Mine cost $25 from Autobarn (Jaycar, d**k Smith etc have them too) - there's much better ones these days that have a display screen, will shuffle thru tracks etc. You'd think the quality would be crap but they are actually really good - if I'm parking I just chuck the whole plug in thing , usb sticks etc in the glovebox, no sign of them to tempt thieves...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 10  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next