Fordmods Logo

REED SWITCH :D 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

cheers Vic - what about the wiring from the actual reed switch to the cluster - where is the access from behind the fuel door to run the wires? in the boot from memory? :? i've never had to gain access to get there before thats all! :)

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

uglybob wrote:
cheers Vic - what about the wiring from the actual reed switch to the cluster - where is the access from behind the fuel door to run the wires? in the boot from memory? :? i've never had to gain access to get there before thats all! :)

The access is behind your boot interior carpet. Just peel it away from the fuel tank side and you will be able to run your hand into the hole mounted inside the fuel filler door. From here its just slipping through the reed switch wires and sealing the rubber grommit neatly into its hole. The wires will now be poking out on the inside of the boot. You will be needing s**t of twin core wire if you are doing all the door ajar circuit - approx 20 - 30 metres of the stuff. ( yes you read that length correctly )
A suggestion, measure a length of wire to run from the fuel door all the way down the side of the car and across the dash to the dash cluster area, cut it off and then solder it onto the reed switch ends before installing it through the fuel filler door hole.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

awesome thanks Vic. all 4 doors are already wired up, just need to do the boot (which again, thanks to you i know how to do now!) and the fuel flap :wink:

cheers big ears! :P

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Yep the reed switch above is the sealed one and made for our Fords.The magnet is mounted within a small plastic frame which you can see in the above pic and will clip directly into the matching empty socket in your fuel filler door. When I clipped mine on I noticed that the plastic clips were a little worn so I mixed up some epoxy and placed it on the back of the magnet frame wherever it would touch the fuel filler door. It will never fall off I guarentee you!
Ta muchly.
NFGhia added an alarm trigger to his reed switch setup as well - that's a damn fine idea, particularly the way fuel prices are going.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

so after all that information.. i still havnt got a reed switch!! ahaha
will wreckers here know what im talking about if i ask?? might have to do it next week!

well at least i know how to do it all! just need the parts!!.

thanks vic!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2