Fordmods Logo

WTB [VIC]: 5.0LTR to suit ef fairmont and v8 4sp auto 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: WTB [VIC]: 5.0LTR to suit ef fairmont and v8 4sp auto
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

i have a feeling that the teeth on the flywheel have been worn off - when ya turn the key you can hear the fuel pump goin and the starter motor spins and it occassionally grabs and the motor will give a little rumble but not enough for it to kick over . . . and im thinking that the overheating still has something either to do with the thermo fans or a leaking hose somewhere - so at the moment im only looking for a gearbox but since i only got it home tonight im not going to know for sure what it is untill i get it in the shed and some more capable tools to do the job . . . and yeah im in maffra will send u a pm . . .

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Sounds more likely that the starter is stuffed and not throwing out onto the ring gear properly, very unlikely for most of the ring gear teeth to be worn...

Regarding the motor, probably a bad thermostat or radiator causing overheating.

JT

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ok soo maybe if what your saying is right then the overheating caused the engine to stop - and the starter motor is the reason that the motor wont kick over again? so overheating issue easily fixed as well as the fact i need a new gearbox anyway and if that doesnt fix the starting issue ill need a new starter motor?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
ok soo maybe if what your saying is right then the overheating caused the engine to stop - and the starter motor is the reason that the motor wont kick over again? so overheating issue easily fixed as well as the fact i need a new gearbox anyway and if that doesnt fix the starting issue ill need a new starter motor?

Yeah, if you're going at highway speeds (not in traffic) and your engine is overheating, it won't be thermofans.

When you try and start it, does the starter make a whirring or a crunching noise? Whirring would mean it's not throwing out to the flywheel, crunching indicates poor flywheel engagement.

It is still possible that the engine is cooked and need fixing or replacement, but I'd check this stuff first.

Also, the transmission connects to a heat exchanger in the radiator to cool it, if the engine is overheated, the transmission will likely not operate properly either. BTRs are very sensitive to heat, not to mention over a certain temp the ECU will set them to limp mode. Limp mode should still have reverse however.

JT

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

JT- wrote:
i6_demon wrote:

Yeah, if you're going at highway speeds (not in traffic) and your engine is overheating, it won't be thermofans.

When you try and start it, does the starter make a whirring or a crunching noise? Whirring would mean it's not throwing out to the flywheel, crunching indicates poor flywheel engagement.

It is still possible that the engine is cooked and need fixing or replacement, but I'd check this stuff first.

Also, the transmission connects to a heat exchanger in the radiator to cool it, if the engine is overheated, the transmission will likely not operate properly either. BTRs are very sensitive to heat, not to mention over a certain temp the ECU will set them to limp mode. Limp mode should still have reverse however.

JT

yeah it died on the hwy - and im pretty sure it was in limp mode coz it wouldnt let me outta 3rd gear and the reverse was buggered anyway - dont know why but it doesnt/ wouldnt engage reverse . . . im hoping like hell the engine isnt fryed . . . and yeash the starter motor just sounds like its spinning really fast but no crunching noises involved . . .

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:13 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

going to ring a bloke in shepparton today about a gearbox - tried to get one locally but theres no way im payin $770 when i can pick this one up in melbz for $400 with a warranty - sounds too good to be true but well find out i suppose . . .

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey all . . . Got a gearbox - its out of an el xr8 so we will see how it goes . . . So not in need of a gearbox anymore and engine is all good from what I can gather from a bit of research so im not in need of an engine either . . . Thanks very much to all those that posted and helped me out ;) cheers guys

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Sorry to hear about your crap luck mate.

If you need to buy any other bits (starter motor, etc), I'll be pulling my 5.0 EB apart this weekend. I live about 20k south of Sale. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!

Cheers

-Dave-

EB Ghia Leather interior & more - CLICK HERE

Lightning Strike '06 BF Fairmont - powered by ICOM JTG

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:37 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey cheers ghia5l
Cheers for the reply
I've had a bit more of a play around and don't actually think its the starter or gearbox that made it die/not run . . . Its still turning over but it seems as though its not getting something like fuel or spark - but I checked and I have a little bit of spark so when I get myself a new set of star keys (rounded the size I need :evil: ) to get the motor cover off ill be checking to see if its getting fuel - but on the other hand when I turn the ignition I can hear the fuel pump start and when I checked the spark plugs they reaked of fuel so I don't know what else it could be . . . I don't know a great deal about cars as im in the learning process but yer - a bit of trial and error and hopefully I can find the problem - so if I need any parts ill swing you a pm and see if you have what I need - cheers for the offer mate - really handy too coz im in maffra so yer . . .
Thanks again
Grant :p

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hey Grant,

Well if you need any ignition bits, mine are in good working order :-) and those little star/hex keys suck! Hopefully you find the problem & it's something simple. Cheers

Cheers mate.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ok no worries mate will keep you in mind :) and yeah your right the star keys do suck!! Lol . . . And something simple like a relay or seal in the fuel pump would be nice . . . But knowing my luck so far its probably gunna be a b**ch of a job :evil:

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Well if the spark plugs stink of fuel, it sounds like a spark problem.

I do have two fuel pumps though, one standard ($20) & one high-performance (walbro 255lph, $100) ;)

Cheers

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yer im thinkin I might change the plugs and leads and see how that goes and if no change ill chnge the dizzy . . . I had a bit of a fiddle today but I honestly still have no idea what im doing and can't afford a mechanic so ill just chug away bit by bit and hopefully something small and easy will get her goin . . . .

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2