Fordmods Logo

WTB [VIC]: 5.0LTR to suit ef fairmont and v8 4sp auto 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 5.0LTR to suit ef fairmont and v8 4sp auto
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Hi all im after a 5.0LTR and v8 auto box to suit ef - just bought an ef fairmont 5.0 and went to drive home and the motor s**t itself - the box was already stuffed knew that when i bought it but had no idea about the motor - NOT HAPPY!! :evil:

no idea on prices - depending on condition ect.

Any help would be awesome
cheers guys n gals :wink:
grant

Post subject: Re: WTB [VIC]: 5.0LTR to suit ef fairmont and v8 4sp auto
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:24 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

cheers buddy will check it out - yeah i bought off ebay for $1680 - i thought the reason it was so cheap was beacause it of the buggered gbox and the motor has around 300k but never thought that a windsor would die with that many k's after only 100kms or so . . . :(

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:41 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yeah thats exactly right mate :) im still looking locally atm but still considering the au - just need a car capable of towing now haha eb has f.a compression :(

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

You have a good point there mate :o one day ill gather enough brains to think about these things myself hahaha!! Im about 220kms east of melbourne approx so its not that far but still a good couple of hrs away . . .

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

s**t thats not too bad actually . . . i thought i would be a fair bit more than that . . . cheers heaps for all your help mate - and btw ive gotta say thats quite a nice xc in your gallery is it yours?

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

oh jeez no good mate . . . would be worth a bit in a few yrs let alone now . . . oh and to anyone else im still after motor and box - want to explore all my options

cheers
grant

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sucks to hear that mate, what is actually wrong with the engine? what happened? i have a spare motor laying around in peices i maybe able to help you out with

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

gday shoey . . . i picked the car up at phillip island on sunday and as we were driving home it started to overheat just as we hit the paky bypass so i pulled over to let her cool down to try and put some more water in thinking that it may be a hose leak somewhere . . . but i took the cap off the over flow and damn near got second degree burns, so i filled it back up with water and waited about 45mins and started it back up to nurse it to a servo or mechanics coz i then thought it might have something to do with the thermo fans like the switch or something but i made it about 10-15ks (right before an exit off the hwy grrrr) and the motor cut out - revs dropped oil pressure dropped battery charge dropped and just wouldnt go again. i tried to get it going again yesterday and no luck - the gearbox is rooted - knew that when i bought it - and it seemed to rev really high at 100km/h so im guessing it was in limp mode - probably contributed to the over heating issue . . . the starter motor spins and occassionally it will grab the motor and it will give a little rumble but nowhere near enough to kick it over. so i dont know what it is - im guessing its a combination of a stuffed box and motor but im still learning all this car stuff so yeah any help in even the slightest direction i need to be going is greatly appreciated . . . *sigh*

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so the engine still turns over but it just wont fire? when you turn the key to ignition can you hear the fuel pump prime up? the next thing to check would be to see if it is sparking, the v8's tend to have a problem with the dizzy when they get really hot they fail cant remember exactly what it is off the top of me head. your in maffra arnt ya? pm me ya number mate and i might be able to swing round and test a few things for ya if ya havin troubles. but if its still turning over i doubt it would be something major.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i have a feeling that the teeth on the flywheel have been worn off - when ya turn the key you can hear the fuel pump goin and the starter motor spins and it occassionally grabs and the motor will give a little rumble but not enough for it to kick over . . . and im thinking that the overheating still has something either to do with the thermo fans or a leaking hose somewhere - so at the moment im only looking for a gearbox but since i only got it home tonight im not going to know for sure what it is untill i get it in the shed and some more capable tools to do the job . . . and yeah im in maffra will send u a pm . . .

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Sounds more likely that the starter is stuffed and not throwing out onto the ring gear properly, very unlikely for most of the ring gear teeth to be worn...

Regarding the motor, probably a bad thermostat or radiator causing overheating.

JT

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ok soo maybe if what your saying is right then the overheating caused the engine to stop - and the starter motor is the reason that the motor wont kick over again? so overheating issue easily fixed as well as the fact i need a new gearbox anyway and if that doesnt fix the starting issue ill need a new starter motor?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
ok soo maybe if what your saying is right then the overheating caused the engine to stop - and the starter motor is the reason that the motor wont kick over again? so overheating issue easily fixed as well as the fact i need a new gearbox anyway and if that doesnt fix the starting issue ill need a new starter motor?

Yeah, if you're going at highway speeds (not in traffic) and your engine is overheating, it won't be thermofans.

When you try and start it, does the starter make a whirring or a crunching noise? Whirring would mean it's not throwing out to the flywheel, crunching indicates poor flywheel engagement.

It is still possible that the engine is cooked and need fixing or replacement, but I'd check this stuff first.

Also, the transmission connects to a heat exchanger in the radiator to cool it, if the engine is overheated, the transmission will likely not operate properly either. BTRs are very sensitive to heat, not to mention over a certain temp the ECU will set them to limp mode. Limp mode should still have reverse however.

JT

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

JT- wrote:
i6_demon wrote:

Yeah, if you're going at highway speeds (not in traffic) and your engine is overheating, it won't be thermofans.

When you try and start it, does the starter make a whirring or a crunching noise? Whirring would mean it's not throwing out to the flywheel, crunching indicates poor flywheel engagement.

It is still possible that the engine is cooked and need fixing or replacement, but I'd check this stuff first.

Also, the transmission connects to a heat exchanger in the radiator to cool it, if the engine is overheated, the transmission will likely not operate properly either. BTRs are very sensitive to heat, not to mention over a certain temp the ECU will set them to limp mode. Limp mode should still have reverse however.

JT

yeah it died on the hwy - and im pretty sure it was in limp mode coz it wouldnt let me outta 3rd gear and the reverse was buggered anyway - dont know why but it doesnt/ wouldnt engage reverse . . . im hoping like hell the engine isnt fryed . . . and yeash the starter motor just sounds like its spinning really fast but no crunching noises involved . . .

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:13 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

going to ring a bloke in shepparton today about a gearbox - tried to get one locally but theres no way im payin $770 when i can pick this one up in melbz for $400 with a warranty - sounds too good to be true but well find out i suppose . . .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next