WTB [NSW]: Car Trailer 

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: WTB [NSW]: Car Trailer
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

few cheaper one's on evil bay ive been watchin lately..

phill

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

people want way too much for 2nd hand trailers these days...

I almost bought a new one for $5000....had winch, LED's, new light truck tyres...all new brakes (elec or hydraulic) that actually work....

compare this to a rusted old s**t heap that needs work and it aint bad

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

you can get brand new 6.6ft x 14ft from elf trailers in sydney for $2600 not bad trailer know 2 people that have them and have no complaints yet...

phill

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

taxi 5L wrote:
you can get brand new 6.6ft x 14ft from elf trailers in sydney for $2600 not bad trailer know 2 people that have them and have no complaints yet...

phill

That's pretty good man, best price i've seen around melb is around $3k for something like that, my g/f's bro was looking at getting a car trailer, but we don't have the money atm for one. Usually that cheap you have to provide rims & tyres for it tho....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
That's not a bad price at all. What did that include? Was rego, wheels and a winch included? If not, its still not a bad price for new.

Most places rego was, wheels, no, you supply your own. Winch - not sure.

To me, wheels, rego & winch wouldn't bother me, got a winch (on my 12x6 tandem), rego is cheap enough & wheels, i can muster up plenty of ford or commodore rims with good tyres. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dont think there rego'd but the same float will range from $2400-2600 as he sells them cheaper now and again.They come with second hand wheels and the pattern is what hubs he has in stock at the time but mostly holden.There at ingleburn in sydney,i not sure how to do links but there ebay under car float..winch is extra

phill

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

for legal reasons you should have LT tyres on it..

trailer + heavy car can get up well oover 2.5Ton, close to 3..

I have heard many a story of people writing off their cars in trailer accidents....you think your saving money but it can very easily cost big time...

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

gogetta wrote:
for legal reasons you should have LT tyres on it..

trailer + heavy car can get up well oover 2.5Ton, close to 3..

I have heard many a story of people writing off their cars in trailer accidents....you think your saving money but it can very easily cost big time...

im hearing you but thats what they come with,still cheap trailer they weigh 520kg so not to heavy either..

phill

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Either L.T tyres or car tyres rated for extra load, IE 600+ kg.

My mate jack knifed my tandem with a big load on it, damaged his VK bombadoore wagon not too badly but more than enough to write if off. We ended up scrapping that VK even tho we had the parts to fix the damage. 1 tail light, rear bumper, slight tailgate damage & broke the pan hard rod. He had too many car's anyway lol.

I've hired car trailers that have had badly adjusted wheel bearings, poor tyres & lights missing covers before, the hire trailers are usually not in very good shape at all.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Yeah not to mention, above 2ton I believe my mate said they require hydrualic or electric brakes, eg the cable driven shunt jobbies that most renters offer are unlikely to tow much of a car eg5-600kg trailer, plus say a falcon at say 1700 it'd technically be overloaded.
So basically check it's setup and rated correctly.

Not to mention if you do screw up, and found to have overloaded the trailer, towpack, one guy was saying they basically crucify you.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
Yeah not to mention, above 2ton I believe my mate said they require hydrualic or electric brakes, eg the cable driven shunt jobbies that most renters offer are unlikely to tow much of a car eg5-600kg trailer, plus say a falcon at say 1700 it'd technically be overloaded.
So basically check it's setup and rated correctly.

Not to mention if you do screw up, and found to have overloaded the trailer, towpack, one guy was saying they basically crucify you.

You will find most of those "hire trailers" say they are only good to carry 1250kg, due to the brakes they have fit. They all have a GVM of 2ton or less, so they can run crappy brakes on them & car tyres as well.

In vic, over 2ton you must have electric break away brakes on the trailer. Under it's ok to run either hydraulic or cable type brakes. I prefer hydraulic myself. Earlier E series falcons are pushing the limits of a car trailer or just tipping it past overloaded in regards to total GVM of most hire trailers. Depends on how much the hire trailer weighs. Some proper car trailers have a mostly naked frame with only some area having steel where you put the tyres. Those sort are usually light enough to carry a falcon & keep the GVM under 2ton.

But at the end of the day, a lot of car's are only rated to tow around 1300kg anyway!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED GLi

QLD, Australia

i wouldn't tow a car trailer with anything but a 4X4

and on the eighth day God created the Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The 1200kg should be fine as you will not be dragging dead weight onto the trailer it will be rolling weight.
If I was you but I would look into a 12V boat winch. I have seen them at Supercrap and the likes before and a long set of leads. Reason I say that is if you are loading and unloading by yourself , it will be awkward to be steering a car onto a trailer (especially if its smashed or in a tight spot) and cranking a handle at the same time.
Much easier to have a remote in your hand and push a button as you drag it on.
Also you can get a gain block from a 4x4 place which makes your winch basically be able to drag twice as much on a double line pull. Put the snatch block on the wreck and run the winch cable from the winch , through the block and back to the load bar on the trailer.
Bad points are you need enough winch cable to do. Basically double the length you need on a standard pull.
You also need to winch twice as much to get the same distance as a single line pull as you have twice the cable out.
Good point is the pull is heaps easier and you are basically able to pull twice as much weight with your winch.
Yeah I have winched a couple of things before. :oops: The joys of not being able to drive a greasy pole up a dogs a*** hey............... :mrgreen:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

also you gotta remember the load they put on them is vertical load lift, not scull dragging a car up some ramps onto a trailer.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Hey Ash check out Aldi from time to time they have one they sell really cheap and it looked fairly good to me but they do give a Guarantee if your not happy with it.
Cheers Alan

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next