Fordmods Logo

WTB [SA]: TIBBE DOOR LOCK 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: WTB [SA]: TIBBE DOOR LOCK
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

WTB : drivers side door lock or what i actually want is the disc in the centre of the lock for a ef/el

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Someone try to break into yours too? :?

Just venture to a wrecker, it would be easier. If he charges more than $10 there's something wrong.

And you will need the whole lock. I don't think you can get away with replacing just the metal flappy thing on the outside.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:

Just venture to a wrecker, it would be easier. If he charges more than $10 there's something wrong.

And you will need the whole lock. I don't think you can get away with replacing just the metal flappy thing on the outside.

The plastic eventually crumbles around the disc and they just fall out usually without you knowing about it. Good luck trying to find a good one at the wreckers...they're mostly all at the age where they're falling apart or just about to. I siliconed a stainless steel washer into the opening on mine...a perfect fit and it still allows you to use your existing key if your remote fails. Only one drawback, it doesn't seal against dust etc but it looks a lot better than none at all...cheers Linz.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

linz wrote:
arm79 wrote:

The plastic eventually crumbles around the disc and they just fall out usually without you knowing about it. Good luck trying to find a good one at the wreckers...they're mostly all at the age where they're falling apart or just about to. I siliconed a stainless steel washer into the opening on mine...a perfect fit and it still allows you to use your existing key if your remote fails. Only one drawback, it doesn't seal against dust etc but it looks a lot better than none at all...cheers Linz.

Mine has been attempted break ins for the last 2 times. I've seen the plastic crumble, but never seen the metal flap thing fall out. Even over the 9 years i've had EL's.

But, agreed its not straight forward to find a decent EF/EL one. There are plenty around, just have to go car to car till you find a decent one. Or, as I have done the last few times, get an EB/ED door lock. Specifically the high series one with the integrated light. The ring isnt plastic, its like a clear resin. And even after 15+ years, they are usually still mint. And if you can be bothered, like I will one day, you can wire in the illuminated door lock to the central locking system.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]