Fordmods Logo

AU2 75th Ghia 6cyl not starting no clicks whatsoever 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU2 75th Ghia 6cyl not starting no clicks whatsoever
Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

This car has been giving me nothing but nightmares lately. Latest is that it now just doesn't start no clicks nothing. It has had a new ignition coil and a new fuel pump. All was good in the morning and because I removed the battery to change the connectors to new ones and put in a brand new battery - when I put them back in - the alarm went off and lights flashing and turned them off by pressing lock/unlock on keyfob. I drove around all good. Then as usual when battery has been removed the indicators would always flash for a few times as soon as the key hits "Accessories" and it stops after a few flashes. This doesn't affect anything but it is annoying and sometimes when I turn the key to ON/OFF a few times it stops the annoying flashing indicators. However this morning when I tried this ON/OFF procedure again - it didn't turn off the annoying flashing lights but I then couldn't start the car anymore. I tried removing battery for hours - same issue. I left the key in the barrel in the ON position for an hour - same just completely no clicks or attempt to crank almost like its on DRIVE so I moved the gears around knock under the dash in case its the BEM connections I also checked the ECU and all are tightly connected and earthed and no rust anywhere. Could it be that the BEM has now forgotten my key ? I don't have a second key and the one I have has the chip in it so I don't know. Is it stuck in learning mode - well I also tried the procedure to add/remove keys which needs two learnt keys where I only have one - this didn't do nothing. Can I pick up another key from the wrecker (they lying around everywhere inside cars) and insert this in to act as a new car waiting to be programmed or is it the BEM that's bad and can I get one from the wreckers? I'm about to text the mobile mechanic if he can do programming or ECU and BEM but thought I'd put this here in case anyone has some thought ...thnx

Post subject: Re: AU2 75th Ghia 6cyl not starting no clicks whatsoever
Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Even with an untrained key the AU2-3 will start and it allows 3 seconds after the motor has started to receive a valid code from the transponder... If no code is received in that time then the computer will stall the motor... If you have no clicks the start relay isn't coming in...

Attachment:
falcon-au-2.pdf [135.24 KiB]
Downloaded 287 times

Either the EEC isn't making it's part of the circuit or the BEM isn't making it's part of the circuit...

Sounds a lot like you've shorted something out or swapped polarity of the battery leads when you were playing around... Shorting something out or reversing polarity does weird things like this... Start by checking ALL the fuses and relays for correct operation one by one... Check all fuses with a multimeter for continuity (not visually) and test relay coils for similar ohms between relays and then power each relay and confirm contact operation with a multimeter...

My blinkers have never flashed or done weird things when I power the car up, though I usually use a battery minder when I disconnect the battery to ensure the BEM and EEC remain powered...

If you cannot find an issue you have fried the BEM or EEC and either will need to replaced and then reprogrammed by Ford... The barrel, BEM and EEC are paired in a trio and not one can be swapped without reprogramming...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks, the AU2 75th Ghia is high series and it comes with a factory alarm and flashing lights each time a battery is removed. I tied up all battery ends of wiring so didn't swap them or anything. I will check all fuses and report back. I'll get another key and try it as well as checking starter relay.

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

All radio, interior lights, locks work OK just no clicks nothing Im starting to think it could be BEM, key barrel combination

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Swapped starter relay - didn't work

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

The starter just doesn't click at all - could it be simply the starter?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

A little bit of history. In the last 2-3 months in the mornings we had a few incidents where I stop for petrol before going to the station to go to work, the car wouldn't start after I fill up and at first - I could hear the loud clicking sound from the starter and when I leave it for a few minutes it would then start. Then eventually when it happened again very randomly - the delays in starting up again were more than a few minutes to a point where I left it and when I come back - start back up and it would start. So Im saying this as from then to now it got progressively worst when I try all things and I have not found the smartshield red LED flashing nothing unusual but normal. I'll start checking the starter terminals and connections on the starter and maybe tap to see if anything

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:39 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah could be the starter... Could be a stuck solenoid... Get someone to hold the key to start and use something long to slide down under the intake and give it a good tap and see if she winds over...

Sounded originally like you thought it was an electrical problem... But if you believe they're all working correctly then it very well maybe the starter... When mine failed it was polling out inside... If the starter stopped in the right spot it wouldn't go again... Because it's a manual I could put it in gear and rock it to get the starter past it's shorted poles and it'd go fine...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

when it wont start can you hear the start relay in battery fusebox clicking - if so try,remove starter relay and bridge terminals 87 and 30 with a piece of wire - should wind starter over if starter ok,if not tap starter with hammer and retry as suggested by TimmyA

check all wires are connected at battery esspecially earths -and check cable to engine is secure -

check positive cable is not loosing circuit when you try to crank over,will normally still click at least if this is at fault.

check battery voltage with a multimeter on DC volts,Approx. 9.5 volts if cranking over,......around 12 volts with ignition on - have you got power to injectors, if not check ECU relay...........................

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks guys been out today but yeah the starter relay clicks each time I try and start all OK there. Have read on ford forums and these falcons have some persisting ignition stuff ups so you guys suggestions about stuck starter solenoid etc are on that path. Haven't had time to tap starter but thats next. I have asked the mobile mechanic to come around diagnose issue tomorrow ... will let you know the root cause ... thnks for the replies, cheers

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

UPDATE:
Mobile mechanic ran all ignition tests and isolated culprit to BEM. I only had one key so no point of reference as far as keys are concerned. Something in the BEM wasn't working and the guy had to get someone to fix it - so he said and reprogram back on together with adding another key so now I have two keys, car starts, all systems work but keyfob/remote now doesn't lock or unlock the car. I tried all combinations I saw on the net - on/off 6-7 times, press demister 3 times still no doors cycle and any button on remote does nothing. While talking to mechanic and keys were still in ignition but was in OFF position, blinkers started flashing... anyone has ideas on how to resync this keyfob back to the car. AU2 75th Ghia is a high-series fully optioned sedan... thanks

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

UPDATE again:
Followed doco to program keyfob - now working (key in ACC, press demister ON/OFF/ON - in quick succession before 5 secs is up, locks then cycled and pressed either lock/unlock buttons on keyfob and they now work)

Now lastly - but back to the original issue that caused all this
Lights still flash at almost 2 secs at each interval for about 10 times roughly as soon as the key hits the ACC position. I can still start, drive off but with hazards flashing - annoying. They eventually stop but yeah not normal.

So anyone experienced this pls help thnks

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

try setting alarm with window down allow time for it to completely activate open door thru open window when alarm activates cancel with remote -

may have faulty alarm module-alarm module should be mounted hi under left front kick panel make sure earths are clean and tight as this was one of faults had with alarm - or disconnect module and reconnect - test if fault is present if module left disconnected.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I'll try set off the alarm and cancel it. A new BEM and keys have just been installed and programmed with all wiring and earthing tightened by mechanic - not sure about removing all again. Will have a go at setting off alarm then cancel it thanks

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

trying to set off the alarm - hazards keep flashing

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next