Post subject: Another option for tuning EEC V8s
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hi all,

Over the past couple of years, I've been tuning my series 1, EL XR8 (6DFC) with a Tweecer and Binary Editor. I purchased a Tweecer and had it tuned by a workshop and was very disappointed with the end result. My EEC wasn't compatible with the Tweecer and it was replaced with a 6DGD, which was. It ran like a pig, didn't idle properly and stalled all the time.

I started doing lots of reading and asked a few people on the forums who I saw were doing their own tuning. On this forum, Trent (XTT909) and Jaysen were both very helpful when I was just starting out. I got a lot out of http://www.eectuning.org as well. I still do! At this time I was still using CalEdit with the Tweecer. To say it's average software/strategy would be an understatement.

I was reading about everyone in the US using Binary Editor and how it's a much better program than CalEdit. I wanted to use that, but as far as I knew, we didn't have any strategies available to suit my car, here. After speaking to Clint Garrity, the developer of Binary Editor, he told me that if there are any TunerPro defs available for my car, he can convert it to a Binary Editor strategy. I knew just where to find one of those - Thanks guys at TI Performance :D . I wouldn't say I stole it, as I only ever used it to run my car. I worked with this and BE for quite some time, but wanted to be able to utilise the datalogging capabilities that are available with Binary Editor. By this time I was using a Tweecer RT that I bought from another forum member.

After asking lots of questions on eectuning.org I was told to PM one of the members (sailorbob, aka Derek) who created strategies for a lot of Mustangs and other cars in the US. Binary is his second language. I got onto him and asked if he could get datalogging working with my strategy. I sent him a copy of the strategy and my binary. He then proceeded to create a new strategy - NVMG84 - to suit Binary Editor. I also gave him a 6DFD.bin, for which he created another strategy - NVMG85. At this time I also purchased a Quarterhorse, as Derek told me that he knew the workings of this very well and knew not much about the Tweecer, which should make getting datalogging working much easier.

After many, many months (close to a year) of working on this, Derek finally got datalogging working in the middle of February this year. I've not had the chance to sink my teeth into it yet, as the day he got it to me was the day before I flew out to work for this swing. I did test it out that evening though, and it all looks good, which I'm very excited about.

For those who are interested in tuning their EL V8s with Binary Editor, these strategies are available to view as read only files on Clint Garrity's website - http://www.eecanalyzer.net - on the Downloads page. Sometimes it takes a while for the strategies to load, but they do. From there, if you choose to register the strategy (after registering Binary Editor - US$80), email sailorbob@uk2.net and it'll cost you around US$20. To run the datalogging, you'll require a Moates Quarterhorse, under $350 to your door - http://www.moates.net. The Quarterhorse is a great piece of kit, as it allows you to make changes on-the-fly, without having to turn the engine off to write a new tune, as well as see everything that the EEC is seeing/doing.

If you're curious as to how many parameters have been defined in these strategies, there are 615 Scalars, 105 Functions and 30 Tables, as well as a few hacks that are available in the Mustang strategies. Here's a screenshot, showing this at the bottom-left corner.

One other strategy has been created by Derek, which is the 2DCA. This is an EB GT EEC and as far as I know, it should run most of the ED V8s. It doesn't run the non-Smartlock EBs.

I'm really keen to get him to create more strategies, but at this stage he's not going to unless there is more interest and these strategies begin to be registered by more people than me! If anyone is interested in tuning their 8s with something like this, then please express your interest in this thread and state your catchcode. If we get enough people chasing the same strategies, then he may look at creating them.

At this stage, I don't know exactly what's compatible with what, but am going to make an effort to get my hands on as many EL V8s as possible to see what works and what doesn't. I'll list what I know for now and, if possible, will update this when I know more.

NVMG84 - 6DFC (s1 EL XR8), 6DGC

NVMG85 - 6DFD (s2 EL XR8), 6DGD, 6THC (EL GT), 6TJC (EL GT), 7TAA (XHII XR8)

2DCA - 2DCA (EB GT), 2DDA (EB GT), 3DFA, 1DEC, 1DDC

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Last edited by Scaffy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Another option for tuning EEC V8s
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

you can add 1DDC to the 2DCA strategy also.

347, crane cam, Pro topline 180 heads, Edelbrock victor efi intake, 80mm C&L maf, 75mm tb, 30lb injectors and 1/4 horse

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

im in for the 1DGA :D

347, crane cam, Pro topline 180 heads, Edelbrock victor efi intake, 80mm C&L maf, 75mm tb, 30lb injectors and 1/4 horse

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Greg

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

i've been meaning to go and check the catch code of the ECU i've got outside, i'm told its a GT ecu.
Would love to be able to use quaterhorse on it

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

If you're running a v8 with MAF you won't have a problem...

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Been having a few issues with the wagon's tune, might be just what I need. Not an EL but as you say, it's V8 with a MAF so willing to give anything a try. Then I can move onto the NC, but still in the process of collecting goodies for that one! :wink:
Will have to get my hands on the codes this weekend and look at getting registered.

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

What model is your wagon?

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am 
EFI Guru

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Supoib, the 1/4 horse kicks a***!

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah, Pete, it sure does. Do you have these strategies off Derek? As you can see, we finally got datalogging working...

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Scaffy wrote:

Banarcus' old 5.0L ED. Now the wife's daily.

Have tried all the usual tricks....Adjusted base idle and TPS, cleaned MAF etc and is good for a couple of days and then the wifey starts complaining again about stalling. Really need to see what is happening and this sounds like a good investment.

The other is my 92 NCII, but never had a problem with it.....runs like a dream every time :mrgreen: Starting to collect a few goodies for this one, so a tune will be required in the not too distant future :wink:

Cheers,
Mick

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
Yeah, Pete, it sure does. Do you have these strategies off Derek? As you can see, we finally got datalogging working...

Yep. Wish i had something to try it on...I think I have convinced my wife to get rid of her mazda3 for an E-series XR8:mrgreen:
Btw isn't it nice to deal with someone who doesn't try f**k you over?

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

NCIILANE wrote:
Scaffy wrote:

Banarcus' old 5.0L ED. Now the wife's daily.

Have tried all the usual tricks....Adjusted base idle and TPS, cleaned MAF etc and is good for a couple of days and then the wifey starts complaining again about stalling. Really need to see what is happening and this sounds like a good investment.

The other is my 92 NCII, but never had a problem with it.....runs like a dream every time :mrgreen: Starting to collect a few goodies for this one, so a tune will be required in the not too distant future :wink:

Cheers,
Mick

When you get a chance, let us know what your catchcodes are and we'll see if they are compatible.

Pete, I've dealt with a few yanks, before Derek, trying to get this happening and they wanted around US$200 to register the strategies. They didn't have much luck initially, and I just didn't end up hearing from them anymore.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:43 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

yeah Chad, That($200) wouldn't actually be so bad if thay actually did it!? The problem is they also wouldn't guarantee how much of the code they would crack and then if something wasn't right they wouldn't necessarily fix it either!? There was really only one guy in the U.S. that was capable and willing but just simply didn't have the time to devote to it. That was the trouble tweecer too. Numb nuts didn't do any work to support the Oz stuff yet still wanted a premium for the product and didn't give me the ability to decrypt and fix any code problems. Couple that with the fact he would undercut my sales even though I was supposedly the Australian Agent!? So what you got was guy's buying direct from the U.S. thinking they had support for their vehicle when they didn't!? He even told these guy's that could get the defs from me!?....WRONG!

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah, I feel for you on the Tweecer debacle. It could've been a real good thing if he'd done things right.

Fortunately with Derek, his strategies are spot on and there's no doubt about their content. Also, any time I've sent him a query about something or something isn't doing what it should, he's usually replied to me within 24 hours with an updated file. Hopefully he'll be able to work on more as time goes by...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next