Fordmods Logo

au ecu and engine into landcruiser 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: au ecu and engine into landcruiser
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

hi all,
i want to put an au i6 into my old efi landcruiser, i think i will need to use the au ecu due to the motor having crank angle sensor, the landcruiser has efi but is run by distributor and hall effect switching, what do i need to do to the ecu to run it without the BEM connected to it. any help appreciated.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

if its an AU series 1 ecu your using, you will need a smartlock bypass unit to do away with the BCM.
If your using an AU auto ecu with a 5speed manual you will also need to perform a few tricks to keep the ecu happy

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

You can also run the AU engine with a distributor and coil setup. Read the tech docs on the various engine upgrades in the 6 cylinder workshop, third item from the top. Of interest may be the AU into EL or EB conversions. There are many options depending on how much of the AU setup you are planning on utilizing eg inlet manifold. You can even get the engine to run well without a Ford ECU
I have an FJ75 troopy with a late 80 series 3F mpfi waiting to go in and chose to use a Microtech system instead of the fooling around with a Toyota ECU.
As 66 coupe infers, there's a way around just about anything to be found here but if you're planning on going off-road I'd be looking at the EL inlet manifold and coil/dizzy setuo for ease of access and emergency repairs. I've just spent most of the day working under the older style inlet manifold on water hoses, dizzy, electricals and vacuum lines. It's a b... of job even with the engine out of the car, something to consider anyhow.
Cheers,
Paulmac

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

what landcruiser 40 series 60 series 75 / 79 series.... 80 series or 100 series.......

i have thought about this looking at the wrecks at work but i think i would get stuck with the whole 4wd thing would need a custom bellhousing made up to use the gearbox.... but i would use a patrol gearbox they are built like a brick s**t house..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

dellow or castlemaine r/s have bell housings to put just about anything into anything

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Froudey,
If you're referring to a manual gearbox, I would use a Toyota any day.
However, Carlsn, Marks 4wd Adapters already do the necessary kit/plates etc. Dellow Automotive may have something to offer as well. Its been done before, it's just a matter of which way do you want to do it, a turbocharged XR6 would, I think, be new.
Paul

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Paulmac wrote:
Froudey,
If you're referring to a manual gearbox, I would use a Toyota any day.
However, Carlsn, Marks 4wd Adapters already do the necessary kit/plates etc. Dellow Automotive may have something to offer as well. Its been done before, it's just a matter of which way do you want to do it, a turbocharged XR6 would, I think, be new.
Paul

Really people say the nissan patrol Gearbox is a stronger box... i work in a wreckers that mainly deal with 4wd parts etc etc and we sell a s**t load of 75 79 seires Gearbox boxes and like 2 gearboxes i am not sure if that is to do with the amount of C**k that own landcruisers or if they are a s**t box... or people are treating them improper...... but heard many of stories from people that say the 75 79 box is iffy..... but i haven't been in the game long enough so i don't know.......

Agreeed turbo charged xr6 engine in the cruiser would be a good beast if you run a decent gearbox like a turboed optioned 4wd box...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Froudey,
The Nissan boxes have usually been strong and the later models have been more usable too, I'm told. I've owned my FJ75 since new in 1987 and it has spent a lot of time off-road and with highway miles to get there, with IMO greater flexibility and ease of use than many Nissan boxes. That same type of gearbox was used across the Toyota range from 6 ton trucks, buses and even Lexcens. It is deceptively strong for such a light feel.
I think you're right about the DH users not caring for the transmissions properly, because it's very hard to break either a Toyota or Nissan box that I have used.
More often they stuff up the transfer case first, by too much high speed and not enough oil level checking, this in turn could affect the gearbox.
If you come across a troopy body shell [no doors etc] pm me will you, the red devil has got to mine where the roof racks were and in the back floor and drivers floor from the salt water. Might be easier to replace the shell as the rest of the trucks in top nick.
Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread carlsn but we're just hangin around 'till you get back to us. LOL
Cheers Froudey,
Paul

Post subject: ecu
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

is this the same if i were to wire in a AU 5L ecu into my EF XR8 1995 model[/u]

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

guys,
i have an 80 series auto, with a 3f motor, strength wise its about the strongest auto going, some turbo crowds are putting @230kw through them with the 4.5 twin cam toyota donk.
anyhow marks 4wd doesnt do ford i6 conversions, but caslmaine rod shop have a plate for ea engine to landruiser box, for $270. i am hoping the auto bolt pattern is same as manual pattern on the 3f, it should be. i want to use the AU mechanicals because it the latest i can get for good price and has the most up to date ignition control map, but how do i tell if the ecu is an au1?? , as this is the last and only ecu that works for crank sensors and can be adapted to most any car due to being able to get smartlock overide!, there is no smartshield overide yet is there? NOW IF I WAS DREAMIN, a BA twin cam would be the go but has a b****r of a ecu, so theres no way to control the variable cams? unless they lock into a home position till activated electronically like the Focus vvti, i could then run twin cam but without varying the cams. Till one of you smart fellows invent a stand alone variable cam controller/adaptor. By the way ive heard that a wrecker in victoria is running a BA motor in a standard AU loom & ecu. so there is hope in the future for easy turbo pwr upgrade.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

BA motor is possible, with a modified ECU (speak to xr9ute) or you can go aftermarket ecu to control the cams.

An adaptor for the auto might be a bit tricky, you will probably need a spacer for the flex plate to go between the torque converter and the flex plate so the converter is still all the way in the box. Its more than likely doable, but just a bit of mucking around.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

carlsn,
Ring Dellow Automotive in Sydney on 029774419, tell them your project details and be sure to tell them you got onto them via Fordmods, they used to do club discounts etc. They do a bell housing for auto Landcruisers and Ford I6s. Just confirm it suits your model I6, they also make the bell housing you're referring to and I think it's different. Won't hurt to check, as the 3F was tilted and the bh has to compensate for this. I'm surprised Marks don't have one but no matter, Dellow does.
You could also go to their website and download a PDF catalogue and browse to the correct section.
Froudey and I were referring to the 5 speed manual boxes, my comments about their strength applies even moreso to the autos.
Cheers
Paul

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

spoke to dellow today, he doesnt have a bellhousing but likes the idea, and has never been asked for one till now, he said he may cast one up in the new year. As there should be a market for replacing a 112kw 3f engine for a more modern 160kw falcon engine.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Curious, as his catalogue says they do one, although the way it reads "ford six" is a bit vague. I can send you a copy, but it's quicker to download it from their website.
I wonder what they are referring to.
Sorry I wasn't as much help as I thought,
Paul

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

i would say "ford six" is referring to 250 crossflow as i know someone running one in a 60 series

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next