Fordmods Logo

BA-BF-SX-SY - Scantool Fun 

Page 13 of 45 [ 666 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 45  Next

Post subject: Generic OBD2 interface problems
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Don't worry about pin 15 - that's just the L Line of ISO-9141. The L-Line is only used on some cars for ECU Init, but the standard calls for the 5-Baud init sequence to be sent on both the K and L Lines - so the BA only implements a single wire bus on the K-line.

But we haven't yet figured out how to wake up ISO modules yet since 'OBD' Diagnostics (Powertrain, Transmission etc) are on CAN and not on ISO on the BA, so the normal 5-Baud init header of 0x33 doesn't work on our cars. More to come.

OK, so we know you have the key on, and the unit plugged into the OBD Port and everything hooked up to your computer.

Firstly, is your module configured for 9600bps, or one of the higher speeds? The original ELM327 could only do 38400 on high-speed, but ELM3271.2a supports higher baud-rates on the 'high-speed' setting. I'm set at 115200 at the moment for example because the MAX232 chip on my unit is limited to that speed. But ELM3271.2a chips using FTDI USB serial/usb chipsets can get up to 500kbps

With power applied to the scantool via the OBD Port and everything hooked up, issue an ATZ or ATWS command and make sure you get a valid response. This is just a PC to Scantool command. If you get nothing, or garbage, then you're looking at a serial-port speed mismatch, or your Hyperterm is not configured for the right comm port. If you get a valid understandable response, then we know we can talk to the tool.

To now see if the tool can talk to the car, let's see what it 'auto discovered'. Type ATDP to see what protocol it has discovered. If it says anything other than ISO15765-500 then it either didn't see your CAN bus for some reason (bad pin contact for example - I've seen this happen) or the unit was configured for something else.

Type ATSPA6 to set the unit to auto-detect protocols, but to try 15765-500 first. Use ATDP again to see that it was set.

If all of this works, then issue a simple OBD command - such as 0100 - which is a Mode01 request for PID00 and you should get a response.

Try these things and let us know how you go, or which bits don't work as described.

Lukeyson

Hyperterm is configured to the correct com port which in my case is com 1
I am not sure about the setting for data bits, parity, stop bits, and flow control. Are these settings just the default of 8,N,1,N

This is the item I puchased

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250179805974

The ID on the board is ELM327 ver2.0

[/url]

Attachments:
File comment: This is the board of my interface.
IMG_3883.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG [ 758.77 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

OK, so of the tests I suggested, what did and didn't work?

The v2.0 on the PC Board is the version of that board, not the version of the ELM chip. The only way to really tell the ELM version is to see the result of the ATZ or ATWS that I suggested above. The 8n1n seems right. Sounds to me like baud rate if you're not communicating to the tool. Many of these units ship set to 9600 bps by default. But try both 9600 and 38400 to see if either work. That jumper on the circuit is for hard-setting the baud rate to 9600 or to the 'high' speed, which by default is 38400.

Luke

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
OK, so of the tests I suggested, what did and didn't work?

The v2.0 on the PC Board is the version of that board, not the version of the ELM chip. The only way to really tell the ELM version is to see the result of the ATZ or ATWS that I suggested above. The 8n1n seems right. Sounds to me like baud rate if you're not communicating to the tool. Many of these units ship set to 9600 bps by default. But try both 9600 and 38400 to see if either work. That jumper on the circuit is for hard-setting the baud rate to 9600 or to the 'high' speed, which by default is 38400.

Luke

Today I finally got a USB to RS232 adapter for the notebook and setup hyperterm to the relevant comport at 38400 8,N,1,N and managed to get a response from the chip which identified it as an ELM 327 V1.0

Used the protocol ID string and got the response ISO 14230-4 which must have been the default protocol when the unit shipped.

I then entered the the "Auto Detect protocol" command ATSPA6

followed by ATDP and got the response AUTO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500)

all good so far... :D

I enterered 0100 as suggested...

The response was SEARCHING...
then after a few seconds UNABLE TO CONNECT :(

Regards Andrew

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Key was definitely in the ON position when you did the 0100? All the other stuff can happen without the Key On.

Interesting that it found that protocol. Usually it searches all protocols for something that answers a Mode00 or Mode01 query. It's unusual for the tool to be 'hard set' when new. But then I've been wrong before - lots of times....

We're definitely talking about a BA here, and not an AU right?

I've had a case where the pins in the J1962 shell weren't making contact correctly. Check the pins on your shell to make sure they're not pushed back, and that your Fuse-Box OBD2 port is making good contact on the CAN-H and CAN-L pins.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Key was definitely in the ON position when you did the 0100? All the other stuff can happen without the Key On.

Interesting that it found that protocol. Usually it searches all protocols for something that answers a Mode00 or Mode01 query. It's unusual for the tool to be 'hard set' when new. But then I've been wrong before - lots of times....

We're definitely talking about a BA here, and not an AU right?

I've had a case where the pins in the J1962 shell weren't making contact correctly. Check the pins on your shell to make sure they're not pushed back, and that you Fuse-Box OBD2 port is making good contact on the CAN-H and CAN-L pins.

Lukeyson
The Key was definatly in the on posision (not accesory) without running.

The vehicle is definately a BA manufacured 9/03

I am of the impression that the ELM 327 chip detects protocol according to the pins used and thier state with KOEO which would lead me to believe that all is OK at the vehicle end.
( I suppose rule #1 in diagnosis is don't make asssuptions)
I will check the back of the fusebox and check for continuity to the terrminals.
Maybe Ford have documented a pinpoint test for the diagnostic link.
I will explore these avenues first and let you know the results.
Hope I havn't bought a dud chip :(
Regards,
Andrew

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Try this too.

When plugged in, ignition on and on you're the right protocol, issue the command 'atma' and see if it picks up anything.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:18 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Also (for something different) download a demo/try version of ProScan or PCMScan. See if those commerical apps have any more luck.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I posted in another thread the commands for changing the auto-headlights off-delay timers. I just thought I'd mention here that we've now figured that out.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:24 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2001 F350 Diesel 4x4

Oustide Australia

Here is a file of ford address for modules.

Attachments:
mod_addresses.pdf [90.97 KiB]
Downloaded 2179 times

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:46 am 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

I Just purchased the McS1 from EEpod, to use with the FMP software to reprogram modules. Well very glad i didn't spend 2000.00-3000.00 for the VCM . Both leave out alot of parameters that need programming if you want to upgrade your ride. This software/hardware is for swapping modules/diagnostics. I am installing a King Ranch ICM into a regular f-150, no option for fuel tank size, compass , outside air temp, security module, etac, etc.. After talking to tech support got ICM bit config for ICM. Dealer does not have the options listed in the menus in the FMP software. Service manual says parameters need to be programmed before installation. The key to get modules configured is going to be the bit breakdown of the "as Built Data" from ford. If your module is crispy crittered (burnt) you can get the "as Built data" from ford using the vin#. You enter this hex data into the software and it programs the new module to factory "As Built Data". Being able to change this data will allow reprogramming any programmable module. Glad I found this forum, looking foward to using the can bus to peek into and change data in the modules not listed in the FMP software. Keep teaching ! Thanks!

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:13 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Wow, some good info there, Lukeyson will be bouncing off the walls.

Welcome to the site/forum too. We're almost exclusively about Australian made Falcons. But it looks like that data may have some implications for us too.

Thanks.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yikes. We're a bit lost when it comes to the F-150 as they are not sold here. What's a King Ranch?

The Falcon does run the 5.4Litre VCT V8 from the F-150 - or did until they stopped making them. Currently Ford Australia is still rebuilding the 5.4L Blocks with the Quad-Cam heads from the 4.6 from stockpiles that we've built up. But we run these engines using a Visteon PCM-122 (http://www.visteon.com/products/automot ... l_spec.pdf), which is what we also use to run the NA and Turbo Australian Made I6 engines with Electronic Throttle Control (throttle-by-wire). I have no idea if US F-150's are using the same setup.

Also, when I queried Motorcraft, they responded that the FMP software could not be used on anything other than American cars - which is somewhat upsetting. So we have no exposure to it in these lands which puts us at a disadvantage to you in this conversation.

HOWEVER, the key bit of information I would seek further clarification on is how you asked Ford for the 'As Built Data'? Was it using some sort of tech-support access provided by the FMP Software licence - or did you ask someone direct?

The format of this data is the next question. To be honest, I did get access to a list of Ford Module addresses recently too and didn't think to put them up - I'll do that next.

But what we know about Data reading and writing on Ford modules is that for the most part on the Australian cars they follow methods described in J2190 - and this is likely to be the case in the US too. This means that we can address data in the modules via this standard, and our experiments so far reflect this. At the moment we're just using the simple stuff - like querying via a PID, or via an 'Offset' value, or via a Memory Address. When writing we also do so via these methods.

So this As Built Data that you show, if it's to be written to a module somewhere via J2534, likely needs to use something either defined in J2190, or outlined as one of the proprietary methods in the same standard. What I see from what you're written doesn't confirm to any of the methods we've been able to reverse engineer so far - so I have to assume there's either some missing or priorietary information involved.

Your data shows that you're using Ford's Standard-Corporate-Protocol as opposed to CAN. Our previous Falcon (The AU, built up until 2002) used SCP I believe, but the current Falcon is almost exclusively CAN, with some token ISO in there (with a nod to European cars and the emerging LIN protocol that integrates well with CAN). So we may have some common features, but there's no guarantee.

So finally,

How do you use the data that you have in your attachment? Is it a subset of much more information? Or does it just get loaded like that into your FMP software.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: Ford Module Addressing
Ford Module Addressing Redist.xls [36 KiB]
Downloaded 892 times

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

The f150 is a pickup truck, king ranch is the loaded out model. The f-150 is a drive by wire availible with a 4.2v6 or 4.6v8 or 5.4v8 3valves/cyl. The primary network is the HSCAN network. The FMP software which Ford says is used in America has Several models that have NEVER been sold in the U.S. ie. 4.2 liter diesel engine? I believe that the software may only be availible to the U.S. market. But some of the models are not U.S models not sure if any are AU models, most are small diesel engine types. This software is used with s2534 pass thru device or VCM to program mainly the PCM/ECU ABS ICM/HEC. Unless you buy the VCM from Ford $4000+, I am not sure how to reprogram the modules that use the UBP, MScan, SCP network. So far the info in this post has been good to use the same technique to try to get to the data in various modules. I will try to monitor the command the s2534 device sends to the modules.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

The module addresses I listed I have used just like you did by manually entering them to access data. The software automatically interfaces with the modules, they show up as ABS, ACM, IC, PCM in the menu. Different vehicles have different modules. You simply select the module to reprogram. It's designed to extract the info from the old module and install it into the new module. If the module is damaged and the information cannot be exhaled from the old module, the software will connect to Ford and use the VIN to get the 'AS Built Data" the parameters that Ford factory installed in the module. Some parameters are listed IE speed control(Cruise control) on/off, axle ratio, tire size etc.. and you select from a list and program this into the module. If you add the steering wheel speed control switches, you have to activate them in the PCM/ECU before they operate. If you purchase the hardware sj2534 device, you can subscribe to motorcraft for 60.00 US /month for access to the software and the "As Built Data" and the latest PCM/ECU flash files availible for all supported vehicles. It also allows PATS/Immobilizer key reprogramming, add new key or wipe all data and program new masters.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

I found the falcon ecu flash files & checksum from ford thru 08. If you need a file, post the ecu part # and 4 digit code. I will try and get it. These are files Ford uses to reflash the ECU. Get me a VIN # and I will see if I can set the software set up to reprogram the falcons. I am able to download the files for the falcons the 2008, 4.0l ecu# 8R29-12a650-BCB code b8cb file name HACD1PA. I tried a 2008 model. If I can get the software to load the model and VIN, then it will work for anyone anywhere with a sj2534 pass thru device.

Sort by  
 Page 13 of 45  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 45  Next