Best 'cheap' Value for $$ Chip 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

my347 wrote:
Just found these on ebay, they are used but could be what your after.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMODORE-FORD-4 ... dZViewItem

You're a legend mate!

USER BANNED

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

Np at all, there are prob others on there too, just search for (4.11, ford), just check with the seller and make sure they are suitable for 78 series diff

SIGNATURE PIC TO LARGE... REMOVED BY MODERATOR!

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: anything with a engine

QLD, Australia

Megasquirt 2 is a standalone tunable ECU. Chiptorque is just a modified factory ecu.
Check out www.megamanual.com. I wouldn't recomend building your own Megasquirt unless you have some experiance with electronics and know about efi wiring and sensors. I have a megasquirt on my EF turbo and have installed them on a number of other vehicles as well. I believe they are a very campable ECU for the money.

For Sale; EF Plug and Play Megasquirt ECU Package. Includes ECU, adaptor loom, base tune, software.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

devojet wrote:
Megasquirt 2 is a standalone tunable ECU. Chiptorque is just a modified factory ecu.

Just a modified factory ECU is the understatement of the century. OEM equipment has a hell of a lot more power than any aftermarket ECU......simple as that. I do agree, the megasquirt is a very powerfull unit, and in some situations ie a certian FM member that requires Alpha N due to a multiple TB setup, its a damn good and cost effective option. There are a couple of people working on the Australian EEC's and they are really quite easy to tune, when you know how.

Here is a short list of things that you can alter in the OEM ECU

Attachments:
6DFC.txt [77.69 KiB]
Downloaded 238 times

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Last edited by Jaysen on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Capa SCT switch chip eliminator is a good chip on the market, a tad dearer but the results are there, everything from turbo 6's, NA 6's , Stroker V8's and Blown V8's too with plenty of room for growth too.

The bonus is you arent tied to one particular workshop as many places now tune them, though i havent had any problem with mine.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
devojet wrote:

Just a modified factory ECU is the understatement of the century. OEM equipment has a hell of a lot more power than any aftermarket ECU......simple as that. I do agree, the megasquirt is a very powerfull unit, and in some situations ie a certian FM member that requires Alpha N due to a multiple TB setup, its a damn good and cost effective option. There are a couple of people working on the Australian EEC's and they are really quite easy to tune, when you know how.

wow that is unbelievable.....I take it that is for the V8....finding the locations of all those tables and constants...

who worked all this out???

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: anything with a engine

QLD, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
devojet wrote:

Yeah I totaly agree, If a factory ECU can be tuned to suit your needs it can be better than an aftermarket ecu. My statement above was only ment to be a basic description of what the two items were not which was better. I probably should have left the "Just" out of my statment.

For Sale; EF Plug and Play Megasquirt ECU Package. Includes ECU, adaptor loom, base tune, software.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No offense taken regarding the "just" comment, Ive played with a couple of different types of ECU (EEC, Megasquirt, Motec) and Ive never found anything that came close to what the EEC has the capability of doing, BUT it also can not run alpha N (easily) which if you need that for what ever reason, then you will need to entertain an aftermarket ECU.

Ive been working on it for a long time, begged borrowed and stole to get it to where it is, and its still far from finished.

Ive currently got 2 setups, one is a chip burner and chip which I bought first, the next is my new setup which allows me to tune my 5ltr EEC on the fly, much the same way as you plug your laptop in to your aftermarket ECU's, and edit any of those parameters in that text file via a GUI in the form of TunerPro real time.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

jaysen do u think the the aussie 6cyl eecV would be that different to the v8???

have u done any work with them??

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

not played with the 6 cylinder ones as Ive only got an EF 5ltr, and my mrs has a BA XR6T (which is un-opened) There is another guy on here, I dont remember his user name off by heart but his name is Jason who has been working with the 6 cylinder stuff, trust me, he knows his stuff and will be more than happy to help anyone who is willing to listen. Ive been talking to him a fair bit lately regarding EEC's and hopefully we can build a tuning resource centre so that any one inclined can get involved. With him on the I6 and myself on the V8's, we should have most of the aussie EEC market covered.

There will be differences between the 2, as they do run different strategies, however I can assure you that the 6 cylinder will have as much in it as what has been outlined in my V8 definition. Something to note, Ive deleted some of the EGR stuff from mine, Ive not yet found the fan control parameters, and there are a few more chunks of unaccounted for data in the bins, which hopefully if I can find another keen V8 owner who knows a little bit of hex, to get on board and we can keep defining the bins. I would like to play a little with the 6 cylinder ones, and will probably entertain it in the near future. Ive got a Moates Ostrich which means that I can real time tune, if someone is willing to be a guinepig. I do not want to step on Jasons toes however, so any 6 cylinder development will mostly be his domain.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BTW, If anyone is willing to donate an EEC Bin dump, it takes all of about half an hour by the time you get the kick panel off (without breaking it of course) clean the J3 so that you get good consistant reads, and put it all back together again. The more bins, the more comprehensively we can assign definition files, as Ive found with the V8's that they are quite similar even with the revisions, and most of the time can be adapted with the same definition file. This will of course need to be proven. If your keen, we can even show you how to port the def file so that you can build your own.

Bins I would like to get a hold of:
EB V8 Manual & Auto
ED V8 Manual & Auto
EF V8 Auto
Something special like an EB GT, ED Sprint, or EL GT

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
The J3 plug in chips are at the cheap end of the scale and are sufficient for what they do.

There's much more to be had from a J3 chip than is commercially available ATM. What you get from a chip depends on the completeness and quality of the tuner's decoding of the factory code. I used to sneer at them, but as I found out in the last couple of weeks, a J3 chip can disable the onboard PROM and substitute new settings for any of the factory code.

The limiting factor is usually the definition of the factory settings in the tuning software. A case in point, I imported a Ford Pro/Racer Package for my AU (basically a fully-capable Advantage 3 locked to a single catch code - WANA in my case). The definitions for my car are horrendously incomplete. Most of the fuel stuff is there, but stuff-all spark. And this is supposedly the same software used for the CAPA gear (Ford Flash, Eliminator Switch etc).

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey Jaysen, my nick is galapogos01 :)

FInd more info about J3s here: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/ef-el-fa ... 68577.html

or http://www.techcore.com.au/eec

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: EF fairmont + upgrades

VIC, Australia

on ebay just recently there was an upgrade chip for sale $199 and you could select several diferant calibrations inclusding xr6 settting

now if i have a standard car all stock and i make the computer think that is a xr6 will exhaust and valve timing and compression be thrown out

or will it just run ( if at all ) rich ??

need a rotisserie for a classic resto 0471525912 Tom

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

there isnt a lot of difference between the std and the XR, minor bit of spark and fuel map tuning, and a little bit in other areas. If you put an XR EEC in to a totally standard car, it "should" show no difference due to the EEC's ability to be adaptable to different conditions and drivers, and also cars for that matter. It will only present a problem when your car is actually different from std, be it modified or just tired and worn out, and the adaptive program cant compensate enough as they are limited (its a setting from the factory)

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next